Media Management File Structure

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Louis Tsamados

Media Management File Structure

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 am

Resolve 12.5 Studio - 12.5.5.026
Windows 7 Professional
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3
64GBs DDR4 RAM
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
NVIDIA Quadro K4200

Workflow is - Off cards onto server, into Davinci, generate proxies with Media Manager, edit in Premiere and then do an XML round trip back to Davinci.

I ask this in fear of it being a really simple answer, but I'm having problems with folder generation/structure when using the Media Management function in Davinci. Up until recently many of the jobs we've done didn't require huge folder structures when generating proxies. We had a job come in though with nearly 1400 clips, mixed media, some drone footage with different footage with the same name. Obviously Davinci dumping it all into one proxy folder isn't going to work, but when I check the box with 'preserve folder hierarchy' up to 10 levels, it still generates individual clips in the same folder.

In short - is there a way of keeping the folder structure, using media management, to generate proxies, instead of it just dumping all the clips in one location.

Hector Berrebi

Re: Media Management File Structure

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:05 am

Louis Tsamados wrote:I ask this in fear of it being a really simple answer, but I'm having problems with folder generation/structure when using the Media Management function in Davinci.

In short - is there a way of keeping the folder structure, using media management, to generate proxies, instead of it just dumping all the clips in one location.

Yup... As you feared it is a really simple answer :)
you misunderstood the "preserve folder hierarchy" behavior.
the lower the number the higher it preserves. so if 0 is selected, it will preserve all the way up to the Volume. It will create a folder named Volume then one named like your HD (in the specified location you asked) and then the rest of your folder tree from its main folder on. test it a bit to see how it works. I find it quite satisfying.

hector.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Louis Tsamados

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Blimey, such a simple solution! I probably should have tried that before making this post...

Thank's a bunch Hector!

- L

twainrichardson

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Louis Tsamados wrote:I ask this in fear of it being a really simple answer, but I'm having problems with folder generation/structure when using the Media Management function in Davinci.

Yup... As you feared it is a really simple answer :)
you misunderstood the "preserve folder hierarchy" behavior.
the lower the number the higher it preserves. so if 0 is selected, it will preserve all the way up to the Volume. It will create a folder named Volume then one named like your HD (in the specified location you asked) and then the rest of your folder tree from its main folder on. test it a bit to see how it works. I find it quite satisfying.

hector.

Thank you, I kept thinking it worked as it does on the Deliver Page and just gave up on it. Did a search and found this thread and just used it 4 levels deep and it worked perfectly.
2023 16' MBPro/M3 Max/48GB/macOS Sonoma
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.4.2

maclmm

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 11:42 pm

I was having the same issue as Louis.
Hector Berrebi wrote:the lower the number the higher it preserves.

So it starts from the file, not from the root.
Makes sense.
Thanks, Hector.

Return to DaVinci Resolve