Your GPU Memory is full.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dariusii

Re: Your GPU Memory is full.

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 2:08 pm

So it is not about "GCN 1.0", but about banal ineptitude of AMD engineers, who are not able to write software for windows/Linux kernel. It is not for nothing that Apple does not allow their hardware without the ability to rewrite their miracle drivers.
Well and amd's policy is to have people buy their new products when confronted with such issues. Released a new piece of hardware, they fixed the bug.
I don't need to upgrade to macos. I've been there since 2007. The only downside - no "Apple"' beep when I turn on the computer, but I rarely restart it - once or twice a month. And only to test which disk of my acquaintances in "victoria".
Well, on the topic of windows users, well, what can I say. Like to buy new video cards, their business.
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 4:03 pm

dariusii wrote:So it is not about "GCN 1.0", but about banal ineptitude of AMD engineers, who are not able to write software for windows/Linux kernel. It is not for nothing that Apple does not allow their hardware without the ability to rewrite their miracle drivers.

Complete nonsense.

dariusii wrote:Well and amd's policy is to have people buy their new products when confronted with such issues. Released a new piece of hardware, they fixed the bug.

What issues? What bugs? That the card doesn't work in Resolve in 2023? That it was already old as dirt when Resolve 12.5 came out? You expect support in Resolve or Windows in 2023 for 2MB old VGA graphics cards? Or when does this get ridiculous?

Also shocking that a company that sells hardware would want you to buy the latest. I'm sure no one else in the industry does that... :roll:

Old GTX cards that are not CUDA compute 3.5 and CUDA11 (or something similar) compatible are also not supported anymore...

In the end I'm not even sure what you're angry about? You were given several options, from 2015 onwards (doesn't even have to be the latest) from amd, nvidia, intel... Get with the times or ...don't...and stay angry.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 5:09 pm

I keep up with the times. I use Davinci, I work with graphics.

What issues? What bugs? That the card doesn't work in Resolve in 2023? That it was already old as dirt when Resolve 12.5 came out? You expect support in Resolve or Windows in 2023 for 2MB old VGA graphics cards? Or when does this get ridiculous?

Write "128 kilobytes" then))

I don't understand your emotions.)
So I use Davinci Resolve without buying new cards, like you, so what? Buy and buy. That's good.)

I just expressed my opinion and that's all.

In the end I'm not even sure what you're angry about? You were given several options, from 2015 onwards (doesn't even have to be the latest) from amd, nvidia, intel... Get with the times or ...don't...and stay angry.

Keeping up with the times means not throwing away video cards, but saving up for an m2. imho.
But definitely not windows with amd, with some 2 TB of video memory (well, since you said 2 megabytes)) ).
Foot in time))))....

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 5:39 pm

dariusii wrote:I keep up with the times. I use Davinci, I work with graphics.

I don't understand your emotions.)
So I use Davinci Resolve without buying new cards, like you, so what? Buy and buy. That's good.)

I just expressed my opinion and that's all.

Maybe english is not your first language or something gets lost in the translation but I have no idea what you are on about anymore. "Buy and buy?" Huh?

You want the latest features? You upgrade. It's that simple. Hardware and software evolves. Otherwise we'd all be stuck with punching cards or even better, computers the size of buildings.

dariusii wrote:Keeping up with the times means not throwing away video cards, but saving up for an m2. imho.
But definitely not windows with amd, with some 2 TB of video memory (well, since you said 2 megabytes)) ).

Why an m.2? Why not a PATA HDD? Or a 1984 75 pounds HDD...

Watch this video, maybe it will put things into perspective for you:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWcIkoqXwg . Why aren't people using that anymore, 1GB is 1GB in 2023 as well...

Also since you joked about 2TB, there is a video card called Radeon Pro SSG that has a 2TB video buffer. One of the best cards to use for CGI.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 5:42 pm

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 5:55 pm

Then be more specific.

But I'm curious, why an M2 and not a 1990 mac? I'm sure Resolve works fine on that since Apple engineers are such competent fellows.

Joking aside, sounds like you are in love with macOS and want to buy an Apple machine. Then why not do that? Why are you angry because Windows doesn't work as well since you're not even planning on using it anyway?

But be careful as that transaction (buying an M2) is like you put it "Buy and buy". And Apple is known for great support. :roll:
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 6:16 pm

Why is that?
It's just that everything has its own way. For storage - zfs (Linux/BSD). For gaming - console, or windows, as the cost practice shows. Also, if ad/office, some unified programs, or tasks where an inexpensive desktop is enough. For graphics - macos. Again - well thriftier. You can tear your hair out/"how so" and others. But it works and performs its tasks. Another thing is my hands. Although, imho, the most important thing is to love what you do.

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 6:21 pm

Your posts are getting more confusing. I'm gonna let myself out since I don't understand what your posts are about anymore.

Be well. :lol:
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 11:28 pm

Why is this discussion getting so childish now? I was normally under the impression that this is a pretty civilised forum (with very few exceptions).
I have yet to see an out of memory error on Apple silicon, but for sure did on Apple machines with Intel. But if you are running out of unified memory on such machines, they'll start swapping. Since an SSD is still far slower than RAM, it'll slow down massively. And if this happens regularly, it can ruin your SSD in the long run. Which means a dead motherboard in this case.
That's why I suggest a minimum of 16 GB for DR.
Anyway, if portability is the priority, there is no alternative to Apple silicon at this point in time. And even a much more expensive gaming PC laptop will not be good for extended Fusion work.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

dariusii

PostMon May 01, 2023 6:54 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Why is this discussion getting so childish now? I was normally under the impression that this is a pretty civilised forum (with very few exceptions).
I have yet to see an out of memory error on Apple silicon, but for sure did on Apple machines with Intel. But if you are running out of unified memory on such machines, they'll start swapping. Since an SSD is still far slower than RAM, it'll slow down massively. And if this happens regularly, it can ruin your SSD in the long run. Which means a dead motherboard in this case.
That's why I suggest a minimum of 16 GB for DR.
Anyway, if portability is the priority, there is no alternative to Apple silicon at this point in time. And even a much more expensive gaming PC laptop will not be good for extended Fusion work.

We all come from childhood)

But what does this have to do with RAM?
It's about math support in older amd/nvidia cards.

The error in Resolve kicks in from there.

dafox55

PostMon May 01, 2023 9:10 pm

"The error in Resolve kicks in from there."

Yes, because it won't release GPU memory. It just piles on until the crash. Now I have to keep the task manager open to see when I need to quit the program before the GPU runs out of memory.
Resolve Studio 18.5.0.41 Release; Win10pro-21H2 (19044.3086); Gigabyte Z390 i(tx); i9-9900; 64GB; 2TB Sandisk; 2TB m.2; Gigabyte RTX 2070 mini itx 8G; Studio driver 536.67; Dell P2415Q (and cheap Samsung second monitor)

dariusii

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:19 pm

dafox55 wrote:"The error in Resolve kicks in from there."

Yes, because it won't release GPU memory. It just piles on until the crash. Now I have to keep the task manager open to see when I need to quit the program before the GPU runs out of memory.

Under windows?

RCModelReviews

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 pm

dafox55 wrote:Yes, because it won't release GPU memory. It just piles on until the crash. Now I have to keep the task manager open to see when I need to quit the program before the GPU runs out of memory.

Interestingly, I note that in Resolve my GPU memory use, during a session, often climbs to quite a high value (11GB of 12GB available) but then stabilizes and doesn't produce any errors.

It does appear as if any "memory housekeeping" is deferred until the amount of memory requested exceeds that which would be available without releasing some that is no longer used.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

estebanjgarcia

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 am

I'm having the same issue on a fresh install on Linux of DR 18.6.4., on a empty project and an empty timeline.
Working on the same hardware on a samish version (18.6.3) on Windows, I never had this issue, even working on projects with a 100 clips.

dafox55

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 2:58 am

For me the problem has been partially solved since the more recent Nvidia drivers can use shared memory. But Resolve still won't release any of it, even when closing and opening different projects. I still have to quit, but at least it doesn't crash anymore.
Resolve Studio 18.5.0.41 Release; Win10pro-21H2 (19044.3086); Gigabyte Z390 i(tx); i9-9900; 64GB; 2TB Sandisk; 2TB m.2; Gigabyte RTX 2070 mini itx 8G; Studio driver 536.67; Dell P2415Q (and cheap Samsung second monitor)
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve