Davinci crashing when importing Yi 4k files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AdamSaletnik

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I have lots of files recorded lately in 2,7k/60fps + 4k/30fps. Just tried loading them into Davinci Resolve 14 beta 4 and then beta 5 - with no luck, app is crashing every time I try to load any of the videos. I also tried downgrading to Resolve 12.5 but it had the same issue.

Here are the crash logs and some example video that causes them:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... GhmeTJ3N2M
(one crash log generated by CaptureLogs.bat, one inside the app using help menu)

Videos are recorded using Yi 4k cam, I have been editing videos from that cam successfully before, now after upgrading firmware they don't work... I just tried latest cam firmware today, and freshly recorded videos seems editable again, but then I have 100+GBs of material that I can't load into Resolve, and I don't know if that's a camera/files or Resolve issue. Already posted to a Yi technology group asking if anyone else has this problem, or if there was any relevant changes between firmwares that could cause this.

I have updated my GTX660Ti drivers to latest ones before trying again. I have also played with the GPU processing mode - setting both to OpenCL and CUDA manually but that didn't help either.

Can't find any more hints that could help me solve this problem, and I'm not happy with converting all my videos before I can edit them... :/

AdamSaletnik

Re: Davinci crashing when importing Yi 4k files

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Still happenning on Resolve 14 Beta 6 :(

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 pm

The issue has been logged by the dev team.

For my own curiosity, can you provide a link to a file that works after you updated the camera fw?

I'd like to see if there are any obvious differences.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

AdamSaletnik

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:18 am

Hey Dwaine, thanks for your response.

I just tried recording few videos using that newer firmware I mentioned, and they seemed to work at first - but then I realized I didn't configure the cam exactly the same way as before upgrade.

Played with the settings a bit and I think I found the one that is responsible for this issue. There is a "File Size" setting in the camera, if I change it from "4GB" to "Max" (to prevent splitting longer videos) I can't import the videos to Resolve.

Added two videos to that shared folder linked above:
YDXJ0005.MP4 - File Size set to Max - can't import
YDXJ0006.MP4 - File Size set to 4GB - can import

Both files are 2.7k/60fps, no other settings changed between recordings. Obviously this setting does something to the files, but I can't tell what.

AlanKafton

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 9:01 pm

I’d like to reconfirm Adam's observation that when importing a clip taken with a Yi 4K (in my case with a Yi 4K+), when the Yi File Size is set to Max (30 GB), Resolve crashes.

BUMMER!!!

I just got back from a trip to Machu Picchu & Gallapagos with video taken with a Yi 4K+ & Sony RX10 iii. I've been using Sony Movie Studio & wanted to “up my game” with software that would give me better color control, scopes, etc., so I decided it was time to try Resolve.

I picked the Yi over a GoPro because of it’s 60 FPS & higher bit rate. Like Adam, I set the Yi File Size to Max to prevent splitting longer files.

I installed the latest Resolve Beta – 14.0.0B.067 on my Win 10 machine & had no problem with importing the Sony files. When repeatedly trying to import the Yi files, Resolve crashed every time. I Googled the problem, & was led to this thread.

Since all my files on my trip were taken with the Max file size setting, I have now tried the following to further troubleshoot the problem:

Note: All tests videos were taken with the Yi 4K+ set to 4K (3840x2160) & 60 FPS (actually 59.94)

Test 1: Yi set to Video Quality = High (about 145mbps) & File Size = Max (30GB) – import to Resolve crashes system.

Test 2: Yi set to Video Quality = Med (about 100mbps) & File Size = Max (30GB) – import to Resolve crashes system.

Test 3: Yi set to Video Quality = High (about 145mbps) & File Size = 4GB – import to Resolve is successful.

Test 4: Yi set to Video Quality = Med (about 100mbps) & File Size = 4GB – import to Resolve is successful.

I think these demonstrate that sampling rate was not the cause of the crashing, & that Adam's original observation that the fail was related to the Max file setting was correct.

I then imported the Test 1 video into Sony Movie Studio, & had it re-encode the video to the same 3840x2160 resolution, same 59.94 frame rate, same .mp4 file type, but with a higher 254mbps sample rate for kicks. The resulting file was SUCCESSFULLY imported into Resolve!

So at this point Resolve isn't useful to me unless I re-encode the Yi files, which I really don't want to do! Is there any progress is solving this issue?

Thanks so much for your help,

--Alan

AdamSaletnik

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks again Alan for confirming this issue.

I wonder if anyone from the Support team was able to confirm this issue on their side, using the files I shared in this thread? No word from you guys since Dwaines response, and it was a month ago already.
If you could at least let us know if it's still in your devs pipeline of problems to Resolve ( :roll: ) and is there any due date on this ticket, that would have been nice - I really don't want to re-encode all of my files, or switch to a different software.

Regards,
Adam

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 am

AdamSaletnik wrote:....I really don't want to re-encode all of my files, or switch to a different software...

Here we go again! You're asking the developers of highly acclaimed professional software to stop work and re-write their code to accommodate every new camera's specific version of a heavily compressed, 8bit LongGOP acquisition codec? There are and have been for many years two professional post production codecs freely available and designed for, well, Post Production! ProRes and DNxHD/HR.

We use several different PoV cameras here but we would never consider trying to work with their toy acquisition codes. Get any well designed batch transcoder, efficiently transcode your problematic material to one of the cited I-Frame codecs, where you'll achieve low CPU intensive editable frames, industry standard timecode, user assigned reel names, PCM audio and guess what else? Instant Compatibility with every professional NLE and color grading system on the planet.
Last edited by Craig Marshall on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 7:00 am

I second the transcoding option , but while waiting/hoping maybe something you could try. As your problem seems to be relaed to how the video is layed out in its container, Instead of transcoding, did you try rewrapping the video using a tool like editready. ? I had lots of succes with it rewrapping sony consumer camera stuff before resolve started to support all these formats properly. May be worth a try. Rewrapping maintains the original video and audio (optionaly it transcodes problematic audio codecs) but rewraps it super fast into a different (eg .mov) or same container.
There are other tools that can do similar with varying results.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

AdamSaletnik

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:
AdamSaletnik wrote:....I really don't want to re-encode all of my files, or switch to a different software...

Here we go again! You're asking the developers of highly acclaimed professional software to stop work and re-write their code to accommodate every new camera's specific version of a heavily compressed, 8bit LongGOP acquisition codec? There are and have been for many years two professional post production codecs freely available and designed for, well, Post Production! ProRes and DNxHD/HR.

We use several different PoV cameras here but we would never consider trying to work with their toy acquisition codes. Get any well designed batch transcoder, efficiently transcode your problematic material to one of the cited I-Frame codecs, where you'll achieve low CPU intensive editable frames, industry standard timecode, user assigned reel names, PCM audio and guess what else? Instant Compatibility with every professional NLE and color grading system on the planet.

Wow! If only I knew all of that before I would hire professional film crew to go to holidays with me, instead of buying cheap camera from China. And guess what? I wouldn't have to go to suport forum asking for help and posting feedback for the highly acclaimed professional software crashing.
I appreciate devs hard work, and just kindly asked if there's any progress on my issue, since another user of similar camera also reported the same. And you just couldn't resist...
Anyway, regardless of your tone, thanks for the feedback ;)

Glenn Venghaus wrote:I second the transcoding option , but while waiting/hoping maybe something you could try. As your problem seems to be relaed to how the video is layed out in its container, Instead of transcoding, did you try rewrapping the video using a tool like editready. ? I had lots of succes with it rewrapping sony consumer camera stuff before resolve started to support all these formats properly. May be worth a try. Rewrapping maintains the original video and audio (optionaly it transcodes problematic audio codecs) but rewraps it super fast into a different (eg .mov) or same container.
There are other tools that can do similar with varying results.

Hey Glenn, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :)

SOLUTION HERE
I have just tried Xmedia Recode, rewrapping my .mp4 files to both .mp4 and .mov files without re-encoding (using copy video and audio tracks option). Worked like a charm and was blazingly fast - I'm now able to import this files into Resolve without any issues.
SOLUTION HERE

I also Googled around the uncompessed formats Craig mentioned, but are they really that much better for amateur like me, wanting to just edit some holiday clips from time to time? Seems like transcoding to DNxHR will make 1,5-2,0TB of my 120GB material (seen that option in Resolve now), which means I will need some more disk space first :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 pm

As you found out solution is to re-wrap you video into MOV using some of the free solutions like ffmpeg etc.

Issue will be down to the fact that Resolve doesn't support 64bit (only legacy 32bit) chunk offset atoms in MP4. It's not that difficult to implement, so maybe it will happen at some point.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 pm

AdamSaletnik wrote:.... I also Googled around the uncompessed formats Craig mentioned, but are they really that much better for amateur like me, wanting to just edit some holiday clips from time to time? Seems like transcoding to DNxHR will make 1,5-2,0TB of my 120GB material (seen that option in Resolve now), which means I will need some more disk space first :)

Yes, the trade-off is disk space which is cheap and No they are 'visually lossless' codecs, not true 'uncompressed' files. Re-wrapping your files is a good interim alternative but for editing quick, cut-n-shut holiday clips I do wonder whether Resolve is the most appropriate tool for your application. However, learning both Resolve (and Fusion) will not go amiss. Just a friendly warning: as you delve further, you'll quickly see the need for a dedicated I/O (Decklink) or Mini-Monitor card with an accurate monitor and perhaps a more powerful GPU. Resolve's appeal and performance as a Color Corrector is based around an accurate video signal to a calibrated monitor without which, you're relying on a potentially inaccurate computer graphics signal path.
HDvideo4K.com

AlanKafton

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks all for the discussion.

Yesterday I found re-wrapping worked...in my case I used TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 which avoided any re-rendering. 30 day trial was free. I've since tried Adam's solution, & it worked for me as well.

Now I get to delve into the depths of Resolve...already I can see it makes the color controls on Sony Movie Studio look like a toy. I'm fairly proficient with full Photoshop, manipulating RAW files, etc., so it should be fun! Even though I'm only doing this as a hobby, I can see a Resolve Micro Panel in my future...but don't tell my wife. Maybe she won't notice...

Thanks again to all,

--Alan

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The issue has been logged by the dev team.

For my own curiosity, can you provide a link to a file that works after you updated the camera fw?

I'd like to see if there are any obvious differences.

This will be the technical reason most likely:
Lack of support 64bit (only legacy 32bit) chunk offset atoms in MP4.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:01 pm

AlanKafton wrote:... Yesterday I found re-wrapping worked...in my case I used TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 which avoided any re-rendering. 30 day trial was free. I've since tried Adam's solution, & it worked for me as well....

Another very low cost FFMPEG based alternative you might want to evaluate is Wayne Norton's latest media conversion suite: 'Dali' which offers transcoding to popular codecs as well as re-wrapping options. It now runs on both PC & Mac OS. The 'Media Pre-Edit' session may be a good way to clean up your files prior to Resolve ingest.

http://www.hdcinematics.com/

daliui.jpg
daliui.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 16008 times
HDvideo4K.com

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 pm

No need to pay for anything:

ffmpeg -i "path to source.mp4" -c:v copy -c:a copy "out.mov"

AdamSaletnik

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Issue will be down to the fact that Resolve doesn't support 64bit (only legacy 32bit) chunk offset atoms in MP4. It's not that difficult to implement, so maybe it will happen at some point.

So that's the reason "Max File Size" setting is causing troubles, I guess it switches files to 64bit.

Craig Marshall wrote:Yes, the trade-off is disk space which is cheap and No they are 'visually lossless' codecs, not true 'uncompressed' files. Re-wrapping your files is a good interim alternative but for editing quick, cut-n-shut holiday clips I do wonder whether Resolve is the most appropriate tool for your application. However, learning both Resolve (and Fusion) will not go amiss.

Thanks for the clarification, I will certainly try out DNxHR to see for myself at some point, probably with just some part of the material for a start. I tried more simple editing tools, like Filmora for example, but it didn't provide all the functionality I wanted, then was the Lightworks which was really good, but then I also found out new Resolve 14 is coming out, decided to give it a try, and absolutely loved it. And I'm willing to learn new things to use more of its potential.

Craig Marshall wrote:Just a friendly warning: as you delve further, you'll quickly see the need for a dedicated I/O (Decklink) or Mini-Monitor card with an accurate monitor and perhaps a more powerful GPU. Resolve's appeal and performance as a Color Corrector is based around an accurate video signal to a calibrated monitor without which, you're relying on a potentially inaccurate computer graphics signal path.

Maybe at some point, when I find out how my current hardware is limiting me from doing better, but thanks for the heads up :)

Now guys, both the solution, and the probable cause of the issue is in the thread - I believe it can be closed :)

Max Roesch

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Hello Guys :)

another user with same problem to import media file. Problem occurse with yi4k+. Converting with handbreake or Xmedia does not work. It is hard to understand the reason for this problem. Has anybody a good workflow to convert Yi4k+ footage (no filesize limit) without loosing video qualitiy?
Video handling in final cut works. But I don't use this system :roll:

greetings max

AlanKafton

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 pm

I followed Adam’s post using Xmedia Recode to re-wrap the files, & it works great for me. Don’t recode, & there will be no loss in file quality.

I also used TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer (costs though, but there is a free trial) & it works great to re-wrap as well.

Not as convenient as I’d like, but it’s pretty fast & works as a solution.

Smash Ashby

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 pm

As a side note, I would never not transcode LongGOP footage.

Reasons:
1. Most LongGOP cameras have no reel ID.
2. Most LognGOP cameras have timecode that will always begin at 00:00:00:00 which means that it can be incredibly difficult to relink to footage, especially when combined with point #1.
3. Incredibly CPU intensive to decode, particularly when grading.
4. Naming is often very generic "Video01, Video02 etc,
5. Storage is cheap.
6. WAV is easier to deal with then compressed AAC, or MP3, or whatever format these cameras are using this week.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Craig Marshall

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I totally agree. Storage is cheap and fast, efficient batch transcoders are easy to obtain. I see people come completely unstuck when they decide they want to bring their Projects (generally Premier users) into Resolve for a Conform before Grading or Finishing. No timecode/bad timecode/re-setting timecode, poor reel ID/no reel ID or worse still, Reels containing the same TC on more than one frame.

A little bit of Housekeeping before you commence the Edit will save time and money (often someone else's money) later. Tip: copy your camera original files to a USB 3/TB external drive and re-use your Camera card, then Transcode from the External Drive across to your fastest, dedicated internal Media drive. You can delete the transoded files after your Project is done or better still, Copy each Project's files to it's own low cost External drive for Archival on completion.
HDvideo4K.com

Miguel Curto

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:No need to pay for anything:

ffmpeg -i "path to source.mp4" -c:v copy -c:a copy "out.mov"

Tks man! This really pointed me out in the right direction, as of today using the latest version (14.3) the problem still persists.This is a nice workaround,and..its free.
I'll just add that you can batch rewrap with a script like this:

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

for i in *.MP4; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:v copy -c:a copy "${i%.*}.mov"; done

cd "$(dirname "$0")" will make it work on script directory, otherwise it would try to locate files in user home directory.

Just paste the full text in any text editor besides own Mac Text editor , (TextWrangler is free and works fine for me) and save it somewhere meaningful as backup with something like: "ConvertMP4toMOV.command"
Need to change permissions to make it executable so open Terminal and type: chmod +x <dropfilehere>

When you drag and drop file Terminal will auto fill path to file.

Whenever you need to convert just copy file to directory where your originals are and double click it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve