Is there a way to make shapes in resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hakim Craddock

Is there a way to make shapes in resolve?

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 am

most of my videos are how to videos and i like to include arrows big, small, medium, etc.. pointing to objects and specific parts in the video with text. How would i go about drawing up an arrow or any kind of simple shapes using Davinci resolve 14.

Thomas Milde

Re: Is there a way to make shapes in resolve?

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 4:37 am

Two workarounds come to mind:

Use a font like wingdings with lots of pictures to get an arrow onscreen with the texttool, or paint the arrow with some other software, save it as .png with alpha channel and layer it over your footage.

There is no usable way to draw shapes. Powerwindows allow freehand shapes, but are usually not used to draw stuff onscreen, although you could try.
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Mike C Bonner

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 am

Add a solid color generator to your timeline, turn it into a compound clip, go to the color page and create a shape using a power window, then add an alpha output.
But, you don't want to do that; that would be painful if you really are doing quite a bit of this.

Better options:
Learn Fusion. It's free, works well with Resolve, and once you get over the learning curve, quite fun actually.
Do it in any other motion graphic software, then import into Resolve.

Scott Gilbertson

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Or make PNG images with each kind of arrow and a transparent background. Drop those on the timeline and position them. Add keyframes if you like, to animate them. It's a bit of a pain to do, but the upside is that you can make the arrow look just the way you like it.

Same deal for circles or whatever.

I use GIMP http://www.gimp.org, but just about any image editing / painting program should work. It just needs to be able to export PNG (or GIF, I suppose) with an alpha channel.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Hakim Craddock

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 12:59 am

Scott Gilbertson wrote:Or make PNG images with each kind of arrow and a transparent background. Drop those on the timeline and position them. Add keyframes if you like, to animate them. It's a bit of a pain to do, but the upside is that you can make the arrow look just the way you like it.

Same deal for circles or whatever.

I use GIMP http://www.gimp.org, but just about any image editing / painting program should work. It just needs to be able to export PNG (or GIF, I suppose) with an alpha channel.

This is very doable. thanks

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 am

Rampant Design has some pre-made animated arrows and shapes you can buy relatively inexpensively, and they give you about a zillion of them. They're far better than anything you could piece together with power windows in Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rsf123

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Have these been added to Resolve 16?

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Starting with V15 Fusion has been integrated into Resolve. You can draw and paint in Fusion.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 5:52 am

When I had to build an "iPhone Screen" as VFX for a film a year or so ago, I discovered a company called Icon Finder that has thousands of pre-built little symbols like arrows and battery indicators and distance sliders and GPS readouts and all kinds of stuff. If you combine those with the composites you can do in Resolve or Fusion, you can do some pretty cool stuff, like moving arrows or flashing icons to draw the viewer's eye. The icons are only a couple of bucks each, so they're affordable and very usable.

https://www.iconfinder.com
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve