Color Shift in ACES Media Pool - Solved Problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotMSmith

Color Shift in ACES Media Pool - Solved Problem

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 am

A few minutes ago I posted that I was having these weird color shifts, I'll put the post below. I then solved it and deleted my post but I figure I'd better share this in case anyone runs into this.

Basically, when you're working in ACES and you have an output Transform activated it filters all media through that output transform, apparently even the stuff in the media pool. So if you're telling clips on an individual level to be in Alexa color space input transform, and on a global level to be in Rec709 (like I was) then if you drag your exports back in to Resolve to play on your monitors they'll have no input transform on them because one has not been set, but they'll still get the Rec709 transform. This makes them look really weird. At least that seems to be what was going on. It might be helpful to have a quick ACES bypass like you can hit shift D to bypass grades. It's also possible that already exists and I simply don't know about it.

Original post -

Video Color Shift - Video / Data Levels Perhaps?

I'm color grading a project using Resolve 12.5.5.026 and I'm getting a major color shift on my exports.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.51 PM.jpg (384.35 KiB) Viewed 637 times

Left: Correct in Quicktime ---- Right: Looks weird in Resolve

Been working on the same project for about a week now, everything's been fine. Now when I make exports they look fine in Quicktime, but when I drag them back in to Resolve they're warm and less contrasty.
- I'm using ACES for the first time on this one - ACES CCt, 1.0.2. Using a Alexa input transform on a per clip basis (no global intput transform in the settings), Rec709 output transform in the settinngs.
- Footage is ProRes444 for the most part, most of it was shot on the Arri Mini in this format.
- Edited in Avid and brought in using an AAF. This is a slightly tweaked final cut of what I've been working on the last week, so I saved a new project file before I brought in the new AAF.
- The reference movie I was sent is a ProRes444, it plays fine in Quicktime but looks bad in Resolve, the previous ones looked fine. I'm also pulling from the reference movie for a scene with speed ramps that didn't come over right, but I've been doing that on the earlier versions as well. The AE says she made this ref movie the same way as the others.
- I Colortraced my old grades over and made tweaks, I figured if the reference movie looked bad it was no big deal, but then my exports also looked bad.
- I've had multiple successful exports as this project has progressed and only now is it starting to come out odd.
Video / Data levels -
- Video Monitoring is set to Data Levels: Video (not Full)

1 post • Page 1 of 1 Return to DaVinci Resolve Jump to: DaVinci Resolve Go