16gb upgrade Da vinci mac pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kiwitom

16gb upgrade Da vinci mac pro

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi there, bit of a selfish question but i'm upgrading my macbook pro from 4gb to 16gb so I can use Da Vinci on my 13 inch mac.

Before I do this I wanted to double check that I have all the rest of the specs capible of using this.
It says in your specifications I need Red rocket driver... Is that a Hardware or software download?
my computer specs are :
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html

or
The MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.3 13-Inch (Early 2011/Thunderbolt) features a 32 nm "Sandy Bridge" 2.3 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (2415M), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared level 3 cache, 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-10600) installed in pairs (two 2 GB modules), a 320 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor that shares 384 MB of memory with the system, an integrated FaceTime HD webcam, and an LED-backlit 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).

Has anyone had any problems with using an older mac for da vinci? or are there any younger downloads of resolve I could get instead of 9?
Cheers
Tom

Clark Fable

Re: 16gb upgrade Da vinci mac pro

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Ram isn't your problem really. You won't be able to run Resolve (editing RAW) because you don't have a big enough VRAM. You need .5GB at the absolute bare minimum, even I've heard that 1GB is still pushing it.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Resolve will not work on ANY 13" MBP that has been produced to date, because no 13" MBP has the required GPU to allow Resolve to run. All 13" MBP's produced so far use Intel HD Graphics GPU's, which do not support Resolve operation.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

kiwitom

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for the answers guys. Real shame, I can run Avid 6.5 on my little mac but not this. Any suggestions on possible resolves? Even da vinci lite???
Will try and figure out edl's, portable hard drives and sneak into an editing suite in soho...
Saw a great demonstration at the bvexpo really wanted to start using it.
Just upgraded my computer so will be a while before that happens again.
Cheers
Tom

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 pm

No version of Resolve will work on that system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve