Any good?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andrew Kolakowski

Any good?

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 pm

This is my first own Slog-2 recording with a6300.
It's my "artistic/green" version of some shots from London graded in Resolve.
Does it look acceptable?
Best to look at original version (right top corner- download), not crappy youtube encodes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Sgc ... Gg0a2lBYWM

Hector Berrebi

Re: Any good?

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Does it look acceptable?
Best to look at original version (right top corner- download), not crappy youtube encodes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Sgc ... Gg0a2lBYWM

Hey Andrew :)

Acceptable for what?

Are you looking for thoughts/review of the final look?

I agree that your version looks a ton better (part of why I dislike these highly compressed 4:2:0 sources ..)

It felt in a few shots that blacks were a tad too green and maybe a bit too bright at darkest points (to my taste), and that the shot that ends on the group of people by the water should have started later its kind of brown and boring in its beginning.

And It made me miss London...

if i'd grade it
I'd maybe try to separate the brick walls and accentuate texture,
and at least on one shot in the clouds too (the wapping old stairs shot).

hector.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks.
Good as amateur video :) It's just a walk with camera :) All videos which I make are mainly from my holidays where there is no time for any preparation :)

Green tint and lifted shadows are on purpose. It suits Wapping dirty/industrial character- it use to be poor area where ships would come with goods to unload (today it's very hipstery/posh area). There is not much editing at all- just bits chunked together. It's not a real "finished" video- just a test.

This is rather neutral version from the same recording and full UHD frame:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Zc_ ... zAzOFQ3NEk

This is example of "finished" video:

which has rather limited grading possibilities (well, now I have better camera so more can be done).

JPOwens

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice.

Pretty sure that if you look closely in one of the waterfall shots, there is this creepy guy about to drink some kind of black goo, and if not mistaken there was this imprint of what looks like the shape of Charlize Theron, (run over by some kind of giant wheel-thing), but the (Borg ship?) confused me.

Add some Abrams lens flares, amber-and-teal, marketable action stock.

jPo, CSI

Jack Fairley

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm

This is a great example of how unbelievably awful YouTube encodes look compared to source.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 pm

More precisely these are google drive encodes. I think they are different profiles than youtube website ones. Not sure- I hate these over-compressed videos anyway.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Andrew, here's my take from using the 6300 a fair amount:

A tripod is *almost* essential because the rolling shutter is so bad. Experiment with lens (and in your case camera) stabilization.

I found no benefit from using S-Log with low contrast subjects. If the composition only has 8 stops of DR, then S-Log doesn't gain anything and might hurt the image. (This is a somewhat contentious point, so take it as one person's opinion who happens to believe they know what they are talking about.)

The little crappy Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS lens is actually awesome.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 pm

I may be getting gimbal, probably Zhiyun.
I have other profile also based on Cine4 with soft knee.
I'm not going to invest in lenses etc, as I said- this is just for holidays videos. In most cases I have no time- it's all done on the go :)
Rolling shutter is a bit of issue, but I use 30p, so this helps.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 pm

I have to say to be honest that I've never found gimbals to be helpful. They look cool, but are hard to balance and often drift.

I remember being on a shoot where the gimbal kept on drifting, but it was owned by the DP. Finally the director (after showing *a lot* of patience) said "Take that ******* thing off." There was a collective sigh of relief.

I find just tucking my elbows into my torso works MUCH better, again YMMV.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 pm

I have one for GoPro and funny enough it works well, until it starts loosing horizon :)
I thought this is issue with particular model. Are you saying all of them have this issue? I have not seen any specific complains about it.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 pm

I definitely don't want to say they all don't work. Just that in my albeit limited experience, I haven't found one to be truly useful, once the novelty wears off.

What I have found helpful at times is attaching a monopod (sometimes with a 2 1/2 pound dumbbell weight attached to its bottom). You find the balance point at which when holding the monopod horizontally it doesn't fall to either camera or bottom side. That's where you hold the monopod. It's like a poorman's Steadicam. And it works pretty well, much better than a gimbal, again all JMVHO.

And my main issue with gimbals is that even when working as advertised, they don't eliminate up and down movement--except for that they add a little extra weight and make you move aware of your movements.
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Well, I found GoPro footage to be day and night when using gimbal. If I can have it for a6300 I would be happy :) My only concern is size and handling/practicality problems on holidays.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Well I *truly* am GLAD that they offer real value. :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Few more random shots from London- this times sunny day. a6300 with very custom profile, but not S-Log based.
Graded to warm, bit oversaturated Fuji film look (crashed end shadows). Best to watch in UHD. This time it's youtube and footage holds up quite well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve