Monitor solution for P3 grading (with some questions)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Re: Monitor solution for P3 grading (with some questions)

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:
Those differences get bigger when we are approaching the outer range of colors. For sure they get stronger when we cover the field of human perception outside of P3, like Rec 2020.

Is it confirmed by research or just a guess?

I knew you'd ask this ;-)

It stuck in the back of my head from my lectures in physiology of perception, but that professor has not been among us for a while and I'd need to look up sources.
So, let's write it off until future research and get back to the main subject, where I fully agree with Walter Volpatto. I'd just like to add that even Samsung or LG TVs recently got pretty good with their values for Rec 709, given that you find your way through the menus to deactivate all 'image enhancers'.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Adriano Castaldini

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 am

Uli Plank wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Sony is better IMHO because you can calibrate it close enough to 709 and remove all the "enhancements" 500-1000$. Spend 200$ and have it calibrated professionally once every 6 months.

I fully agree with Walter Volpatto. I'd just like to add that even Samsung or LG TVs recently got pretty good with their values for Rec 709, given that you find your way through the menus to deactivate all 'image enhancers'.

Please, don't let me in the doubt: tell me a specific model (or models) you recommend (there are so many Sony's models!)
Thanks a lot.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:17 am

You may actually get even better results by getting Panasonic, but 1000£($) is rather minimum. 500 range won't calibrate that well and will most likely have uniformity issues, which is one of the biggest problems on consumer TVs compared to pro. New TVs which calibrates crazy well are rather 2K+

Here is Panasonic example for 750£ (may be hard to get as it's older model):
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx55cx80 ... 294129.htm

Sony for 900£
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55w80 ... 034145.htm

Here is example of modern OLED Panasonic which calibrates crazy well, but this is 2.5K£
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx55ez95 ... 194485.htm

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 12:32 pm

also, i will skip oled at the moment, most of the devices out there are not, and it is s bit easier of you do something for big screen
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Adriano Castaldini

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Here in Italy I've found the Sony. It's full-hd. Is it able to receive a 2K signal and scale it properly to 1920?
waltervolpatto wrote:Spend 200$ and have it calibrated professionally once every 6 months.

Sorry for the stupid question... but which keyword should I use in Google to find this kind of service here in Italy?
Thanks (as always).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Adriano Castaldini wrote:Here in Italy I've found the Sony. It's full-hd. Is it able to receive a 2K signal and scale it properly to 1920?

Thanks (as always).

Very unlikely- you have to send pre-scaled HD signal to it.

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

When we tested professional monitors with a Klein K-10 probe (one of the best in the industry) we added a Samsung UE48JU7080 (series 7) out of curiosity.
After switching off all the fancy stuff in the menus, including dynamic brightness (the worst offender) and set it to full scan, it was quite decent. We used the "film" mode with color space on "auto". The gamma was a little bit too high, but delta-E was well under 3 for all values. You can even switch it to video or full range and between 444 or 422. You need to look straight on, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Adriano Castaldini wrote:Here in Italy I've found the Sony. It's full-hd. Is it able to receive a 2K signal and scale it properly to 1920?

Thanks (as always).

Very unlikely- you have to send pre-scaled HD signal to it.

If I understand correctly, the following setting should automatically scale the 2K project into HD for a second monitor, right?
settings.jpeg
settings.jpeg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 13837 times

Uli Plank wrote:You need to look straight on, though.

You are right! Thanks for the advice.

Stephanie Benamra

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi all!

2 points in the thread make me want further explanations :

I used to edit and grade on an iMac with FCPX (with no added monitor... sorry I know it is a sacrilege!)
I make features for festivals and so far I've never been disappointed by what saw on my iMac preview vs. theater screens.

but I'm now considering building a PC workstation to edit and grade with Resolve Studio...
so what's wrong with the GUI preview?

(in my case I have no room enough no have a big monitor (I edit in a truck!) so even if I do buy a second mon it would be a very little one to maintain the proportionate eye/screen distance)

2nd point :
Dermot Shane wrote :
the aliasing makes Resolve's font tools useless in this world

does it mean there is no way to make the simplyiest title in Resolve?

thks in advance!

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Stephanie, something fancy like the ChopinScript may not look perfect but there are scores of simpler fonts that may suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Just wanted to post a follow up since last night I attended a premiere of a feature film I graded here in L.A.

The film was graded in rec709 color space (gamma 2.2) and output as ProRes4444 which was then sent over to a local DCP company who generated the DCP files for projection.

What I saw on the screen matched what I saw on my monitor pretty much spot on. The only difference I picked up on was a slightly dimmer image which I partially attribute to the fact that I had to seat all the way to the side since the screening was sold out and that's the only seat I could find.

The point is that whatever the DCP creation process is, it translated to P3 just fine from my rec709 file. As long as your grading monitor is accurate, the image should translate well to the big screen.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Dermot Shane

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Stephanie Benamra wrote:2nd point :
Dermot Shane wrote :
the aliasing makes Resolve's font tools useless in this world

does it mean there is no way to make the simplyiest title in Resolve?

thks in advance!

i did qualify "in this world"... even a clean font like Arial is a QC fail for features and delvierables to top tier broadcasters.

for folks who do not need to meet 100% QC, it's workable enought, loads of folks use it for their shows.

but at the end of the day it's not what anyone thinks - other than the QC facility

And they makes the choice for you if you have to deliver with a "pass" on the report

Michael Del Papa

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I think I've worked on over a thousand theatrical films in the last 30 years, and I'm not aware of hitting any technological limitations in terms of brightness or color gamut. If anything, often the filmmakers wind up making things a lot more moody and dark and less colorful than my normal tendencies would be (with rare exceptions). In other words, we're not even using the dynamic range and gamut available to us now in Rec 709, let alone P3.

Directors are mostly just a bunch of scared copycats. The end result is stuff that doesn't age well and will look horribly dated to Gen ZZ'ers in 2030. I deal with this now with my own kids who can't stand 80s or 90s movies because they all "look" bad. I don't care if someone has a million theatrical credits to to their name, only a handful of movies from every decade are of any interest to future generations. I could go on, but end of rant.

bruce alan greene

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 12:40 am

Last week I attended the premiere of my last film (I'm the DP). It was graded on a calibrated Eizo display in REC709. The DCP was true to the color correction and the film is now playing in 1500 screens.

Keep it simple. Get the decklink, grade on a calibrated REC709 display. 10 bit is not important. (almost always).

Convert to DCI/P3. Be happy.

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 am

Kays, you mentioned Rec.709 gamma 2.2. That sounds like sRGB. I thought Rec.709 was gamma 2.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:29 am

rick.lang wrote:Kays, you mentioned Rec.709 gamma 2.2. That sounds like sRGB. I thought Rec.709 was gamma 2.4

The jury isn't completely 100% settled on this, and according to many it's a Pepsi or Coke type of conversation...but various documentation I have read seems to recommend using 2.2 for rec709

http://shootdatapost.com/blog/2013/5/12 ... gamma.html
>>Kays Alatrakchi

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks, Kays. Here's my understanding which I do follow ( and I'm not disputing your recent post in which your 2.2 gamma material looked very good):

"As of Rec. 1886, the ITU is now recommending a Display Gamma of 2.4 for reference monitors in HDTV Systems.

But what does this mean for acquistion and post production where our work (for now) will almost universally be viewed on 2.2 displays?

The reality is, if you're monitoring and mastering at 2.4, contrast in these images will always seem slightly lifted on 2.2 displays. So for example, if the room we're coloring in has a Sony OLED using a gamma of 2.4, then our deliverables will look quite a bit different when seen on our client's 2.2 gamma iPad or MacBook Air. Rec. 1886 was needed but is far from universal implementation. Ask many a technician in both the field or in post if they had even heard of it and you would likely hear "no" more often than not. My own personal rule of thumb is that in situations where I'm handling the deliverables myself and those deliverables are for 2.2 displays, I set my monitors to 2.2. When I'm working with a facility and a colorist whose monitor is set to 2.4, then my monitors are 2.4. It's very important to be on the same page with whoever gets the stuff next and it will be different from project to project. The Sony OLED's fortunately have several choices for User Display Gamma which have made these monitors indispensable tools in today's digital imaging workflow chaos."

When I know my material is going to be viewed on a television, I use gamma 2.4; when it's going to be viewed on a monitor typically via a computer including browsing the Internet, I grade with my monitor set to gamma 2.2. That 0.2 difference is quite significant when viewing shadows. My 2.4 videos lose some of their punch if viewed at 2.2; if I play a 2.2 video on a monitor set at 2.4, it's too dark as the article illustrates. I've settled on using ACEScct for colour managing everything as of this year.

Maybe this never ending story will come to an end when Rec.2020 is the norm on UHD televisions and monitors. I look forward to the day when I can afford a Dolby Vision monitor with accurate Rec.2020 using ACES.

I'm not a professional, but I try to follow the 'recommended standards' nevertheless. You are a professional and I appreciate your contributions here very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Hmmm....I have to wonder if all those guys complaining that their Quicktime exports look so different from Resolve to YouTube etc. might be because of going from 2.4 to 2.2? Just a thought.
>>Kays Alatrakchi

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Yes, very likely. I'm seeing that often.

Although I shoot mostly 2K/HD and mostly for the Internet, people using devices like the AppleTV make it complicated as well as they take Internet material and display it on UHD/HDTV as well as their computer monitors. I normally put videos on Vimeo or Facebook (mostly private client work) and I really don't know what they do with my gamma. And when I create DVDs for clients, I also don't know what happens to gamma and some people will display the same DVD on a television or on a computer monitor. So it's a mess. That's why I think when Dolby Vision Rec.2020 becomes the norm, we can rejoice. Rumour is that the Second Coming has a greater chance of occurring first though so I understand it's a long wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 am

But that kind of mess is rather coming from incorrect communication between computer and monitor.

If I connect them by HMDI, the computer should assume a video range signal and send it that way, since the TV will assume it's in video range (you can change that on a few TVs, though).

If I connect them via DVI to HDMI cable, the computer will assume a computer monitor is connected and sends full range signals. On a TV your signal will have blown-out highlights and crushed blacks if you can't switch it to full range. I see that all the time when clients play a movie graded for Rec 709 from a computer to a TV.

That whole video range concept is crap left over from the last millennium, just to protect analog circuits. Digital has no spikes over 255 or under 0 (or the related values for 10 bit) and you could always introduce protection when converting from digital to analog. But until then, we'll have to educate clients about this mess or, even better, set the equipment up for them. The issue of 2.2 vs 2.4 gamma is quite a bit more subtle compared to that problem!

Micha Clazing

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 am

My experiences with 2.2/2.4 gamma:

- 2.4 is what in the 90s was called "mac gamma" and was why stuff always looked different on a PC
- 2.4 is still default on macOS unless you explicitly assign sRGB to your monitor in display settings
- I've had issues matching the colours between Resolve's Decklink output and the GUI preview / DNx exports (viewed in a media player or imported back into Premiere), which I falsely attributed to a TV/PC levels issue until I figured out I needed to set the display gamma to "Mac" in my Dell's OSD menu which fixed all my problems

So it's definitely not clear cut.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 am

Sorry, but the classic "Apple Gamma" used to be 1.8. It was aimed at print, since the first big market for Apple was DTP, due to their laser printers and software for that field.

At the time, PCs already used a gamma of 2.2, since many users who couldn't afford a computer monitor used TVs for display and 2.2 was considered Tv gamma by manufacturers and Microsoft.

But that's all history from the stone age ;-)

Micha Clazing

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Sorry, but the classic "Apple Gamma" used to be 1.8. It was aimed at print, since the first big market for Apple was DTP, due to their laser printers and software for that field.

Right, I must've misremembered. But that makes the rest (like having to set "Mac" gamma on a Dell monitor for Decklink output) even more confusing.

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:03 pm

The last 4 replies by Uli Plank and Micha Clazing are very interesting to me (as a newbie).
I have a pair of questions about (I know that, for your professional level, my questions are silly, but think that your kind replies can help not only me, but all the newbies at my level that are reading this useful topic!)

Let me say to you that I'm going to follow your advices and buy a decklink + second monitor for 709 grading. Said that, right at the moment I'm still with a single Dell (I need some time to make the money for the upgrade). The shots in my timeline are RAW dngs from a Magic Lantern 5D3 set in AdobeRGB color space, so here one first quesion:

1st Question: for 709 grading purpose, shooting in RAW, is it better to set the camera on AdobeRGB or sRGB? (Since that my final target is a theatrical projection, and that someone said that P3 is more-or-less AdobeRGB, I'd tend to think that AdobeRGB on camera is better then sRGB, right?)

Now, let's say I want to grade for theatrical projection. You said that the easiest way to grade (for my current-&-near-future gear) is doing that in 709, then converting it into P3, then converting it into DCP. The first step (if I understand correctly) is to set my whole system into the right color space and gamma. 709 is the color space, but the gamma (2.2, 2.4, 2.6, ect.) seems to depend on the final target (TV, computer monitor, etc.) Now, even if I'll grade in 709, you know that my final target is a theatrical projector, so here the second question:

2nd Question: which is the better gamma when you are grading in 709 but your target is a theatrical projector? Perhaps 2.2?

Now, on my Dell I can set Color Space and Gamma. Gamma is PC vs MAC, that is (if I understand correctly) the same as 2.2 vs 1.8. So I set PC if I want gamma 2.2. Here the third question:

3rd Question: if my monitor's gamma is set on 2.2, should I absolutely set my Resolve's Color Management > Timeline Color Space on Gamma 2.2? Or is it indipendent?

Backing back to the monitor: about the Color Space, I can choose between AdobeRGB, sRGB, Custom, etc. (where Custom - I suppose - means calibrating by an external devices like i1Display-Pro). Now I'm confused (by my ignorance):

4th Question: AdobeRGB should be a bigger c.space then sRGB, so what happens if I choose sRGB? That all the non-sRGB colors aren't used on the monitor?

Anyway...

5th Question: following my grading needs (i.e. 709 grading, but theatrical projector as target, and AdobeRGB source shots) which is the most coherent setting for my monitor? AdobeRGB or sRGB or Custom (with X-Rite calibrator)?

And now let me ask about Resolve's Camera RAW: as I said, the RAW shots in my timeline come from a ML-5D3. So, in Camera RAW window I have to choose - again - Color Space and Gamma. I've noticed that - even if the source camera is not a BMCC - setting Blackmagic Design for both (Space and Gamma) gives a sort of log appearance that seems useful for grading. So I'd tend to set this way to let me more "room" for grading. But I have a doubt:

6th Question: should I set Camera RAW's Color Space as 709 to be coherent with the Color Management setting? Or is it indipendent? And when you said to me to grade in 709, do you refer to Camera RAW setting, or to Color Management setting, or both?

I's a bunch of questions, I know, and I'm sorry, but your replies will be very useful for me and all "low knoledge self-taught" community :)

Thank you so much as always.

Stephanie Benamra

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers
very enriching topic...

anything about the non-accuracy of the GUI preview?

I mean if I only work on a calibrated LG 31MU97C-B, what i see in the UI preview won't be accurate ?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 pm

It could be accurate if you test/tweak/verify it, but in case of Resolve 150$ BM card will make it accurate without worrying about it at all or investigating and validating. When you buy 3K$ or more new machine this 150$ is worth it.
You also (I assume) still can't have full screen 2nd monitor GUI preview, which is a problem (at least for me as I like video to be full screen).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Adriano Castaldini wrote:The last 4 replies by Uli Plank and Micha Clazing are very interesting to me (as a newbie).
I have a pair of questions about (I know that, for your professional level, my questions are silly, but think that your kind replies can help not only me, but all the newbies at my level that are reading this useful topic!)

You are over-thinking and complicating it.
Shot in best possible quality. It can be Adobe RGB or sRGB- doesn't really matter that much if you going to grade it. Set Resolve to Rec.709 2.4 gamma (or sRGB for youtube etc) and grade over BM card on calibrated monitor.
When you go to P3 DCI you simply tell software what gamma you used- 2.2 or 2.4, so conversion is done accordingly. In both case it will be fine as long as you set software to correct value.

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:29 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Set Resolve to Rec.709 2.4 gamma (or sRGB for youtube etc)

Do you mean Color Management setting? Or Camera RAW setting? Or both?
Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:15 am

Project settings.
Video can be set to many things- you can keep it log and grade from this or add LUT to make things easier.

Micha Clazing

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 2:42 pm

As long as your timeline space is as large or larger than your output space, it doesn't matter which either is, the timeline space should be what feels natural to you when grading and the output space should be what you intend to deliver and are capable of monitoring. Gamma is just a curve between 0.0 and 1.0 and so it can be arbitrarily mapped between source/timeline and destination/output.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks!

Alex Potemkin

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Very interesting discussion for me.
Right now, I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for 4K external grading monitor, via DeckLink.
rec.709 is more than enough, and I can perform regular calibration with X-RITE, so it is not a problem at all, thank to DisplayCal :)

The problem is the proper choice.
I don't ask about a specific model :) but more about the proper display TYPE.

Firstly, what do you think, will I have some real differences between 4K TV and PC display?
Secondary, we have too many options here: from ISP matrix to OLED, with different backlight options (full array, side backlight, LED backlight), with many "intellectual" things like local dimming (which, as far I understand, should be turned off anyway), etc.

What kind of display is preferred, in your opinion, for this purpose?
Alex Potemkin
http://yourphoto.nyc
http://yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
http://alexpotemkin.com

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Basic question- your budget?

Alex Potemkin

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 am

lower is better :)
Alex Potemkin

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

This is not an answear.

Eizo CG318-4K or new model which is coming soon (with HDR support).

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1494331977

Way cheaper option:

LG 31MU97

Other option- good TV. e.g.:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx55ez95 ... 194485.htm
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Why not Eizo CG2730? (It's 2K.)
It seems pretty good under 2000€.

Or Eizo CG277-BK or CG248-4K (it's 4K) for 2300€ ca.
Last edited by Adriano Castaldini on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Not 4K.

4K in 24inch is about pointless, specially for keying, masking. You can't see edges at all :)

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Way cheaper option:

LG 31MU97

Two questions:
1. 10bits declared are true or FRC?
2. Is it possible to calibrate it with the X-Rite i1Display Pro?

Thanks

Alex Potemkin

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Andrew, I'm sorry, but with all my respect, this as the answer to a question I did not ask :)
I especially mentioned that I'm looking an advice not regarding specific models but regardind screen technologies. I understand what I want for photo, but video is a little bit specific beast. And different technologies have some advantages and disadvantages regardind calibration and profiling for video which I don't understand truly. The simple choice of IPS matrix is not so obvious here :)

With some guide around this matter, I believe I will be able so make some (educated) decision based on my past experience and common sense. And yes, I'm oretty dure that ENZO would be unbeatable regardless technology they used :)
Alex Potemkin

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:05 pm

I think technology should be your almost last worry :)
Each technology has it own problems and different manufactures deal with them in different ways.
Local dimming is one of the very advanced methods to deliver better black/contrast for LCD screens.
I like OLED look with its real black and most important very fast response time. Never liked LCD due to their "lagginess". Worked a lot on Pioneer Kuro plasma and it was really nice, but this is past.
Up to today best monitor I've see is Sony BVM 4K, specially in HDR mode, but even this has its problems (fairly poor viewing angles).
Don't focus on technology to much, its not the key driver in choosing monitor.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Adriano Castaldini wrote:

LG 31MU97

Two questions:

Thanks

1. Native 10bit.
2. Don't know- LG has own software. You calibrate to Rec.709, hook over BM and all should be good. If this is not accurate then it means Resolve preview engine is not good (or monitor messes with e.g. YUV signal).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Just for fun.
Just fund out that Eizo Prominence may cost huge money- we are talking 20K$+
It's based on soma fancy new Panasonic panel which itself costs a fortune.
New FSI 4K HDR monitor is apparently based on the same panel and has list price of 45K$.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Adriano Castaldini wrote:

LG 31MU97

Two questions:

Thanks

1. Native 10bit.
2. Don't know- LG has own software. You calibrate to Rec.709, hook over BM and all should be good. If this is not accurate then it means Resolve preview engine is not good (or monitor messes with e.g. YUV signal).

This thread is all about this monitor:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... 4K-Monitor

Alex Potemkin

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I think technology should be your almost last worry :)
Each technology has it own problems and different manufactures deal with them in different ways.

Thank you. I understand your point, probably you are right.

What do you think about followed models:

LG 43UJ6300
BENQ BL2711U
ACER ET430K
HP Envy 27

?
Alex Potemkin

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm

We are back at question no. 1- what is your budget?

I don't know every monitor/TV out there- read reviews online. I would probably not pick any of them for video work.
For me UHD needs at least 30inch- even this is to small in my opinion.
If you have low budget stick to one of the Dells- this is fairly safe buy.
If you have 1000$ get LG LG 31MU97, which does offer quite a lot for the price.
If you do a lot of TV work and interlaced maybe buy TV instead.

Alex Potemkin

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you do a lot of TV work and interlaced maybe buy TV instead.

With some reasons, I would rather prefer smallest sizes even I understand all disadvantages of this solution.

And this is interesting point. I really know nothing about this. Af far as I understand from your response, probably, any TV will works only in interlaced mode, unlike pc displays, is it right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Alex Potemkin

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Alex Potemkin wrote:And this is interesting point. I really know nothing about this. Af far as I understand from your response, probably, any TV will works only in interlaced mode, unlike pc displays, is it right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nope- TVs these days have mainly LCD, OLED panels which are "the same way progressive by nature as PC monitors".
You can have 1080 60p going to your TV- well new ones even do 100/120p.
In the same way nothing stops PC monitor to accept and display like TV interlaced signal- it just has to be part of monitor features (and it's in case of higher-end models). Key elements are very similar in todays TVs and monitors.
If you want smaller one than 27 inch 2.5K resolution or 24inch HD is good option.

Christopher Dobey

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:P3 is basically Adobe RGB. Try to find a monitor which covers as high a percentage as possible of Adobe RGB and you'll be in the general ballpark.

Adobe RGB and P3 are not same. The only thing Adobe RGB, P3 and sRGB/Rec.709 share is a common blue x-coordinate in the Yxy space. Adobe can represent purer 'wider' greens, while P3 purer reds.
Attachments
vs.png
vs.png (576.34 KiB) Viewed 13314 times
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Eric Santiago

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Can anyone chime in on using an Eizo CG277 vs CG247X?
Basically is the CG277 overkill as a ref monitor.
Cost is a bit more and pixel res is 2K but is there an advantage?
I read somewhere that that CG277 is softer when used as ref in HD.
I work mostly in 4K but use HD for ref display.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 1:09 am

I hope this topic is not too old for a pair of clarifications:

1. From your answers I understood that the most effective way to grade for theatre in a non-ideal situation (my room, my monitor) is doing it in Rec.709 (not in P3) with a good monitor through Decklink Mini Monitor, then converting it into P3 DCP. Well, I don't understand why I should convert into P3: I mean, in DCP-O-Matic I can import the Rec.709 graded file specifying its color space, and DCP-O-Matic converts it into a DCP perfectly usable in a theatrical projector. I tried: grading in Rec.709, outputting a Prores444, converting it via DCP-O-Matic, and viewing in a theatre where the colors seems identical (or at least very-very close) to my home monitor colors. So here my question: does it mean that DCP-O-Matic converts under-the-hood my Rec.709 footage into P3, or that DCP-O-Matic outputs a Rec.709-DCP that the theatrical projector can handle anyway?

2. I even understood that is preferable to grade not with the GUI monitor, but using a good preview-monitor via Decklink Mini Monitor. Now, both Eizo or the cheaper LG are monitors with various color space presets (AdobeRGB 99%, Rec.709 100%, DCI-P3 98%, Custom, etc.) but Decklink-specs say that only Rec.709 is handled. So, if I connect a Eizo with a Decklink card, what do I do with all the different monitor presets? How can I take advantage of them? (Perhaps using a Quadro card for the preview-monitor and my old TitanX for the GUI?)

Thanks a lot.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve