A short love letter to Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Nielsen

A short love letter to Resolve

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 am

Hi all

Instead of the usual post with problems I thought I'd post to say I've had no problems, in fact I'm extremely impressed with how Resolve is working for me. I recently built a PC for it, a lowly i5 but with a GTX1080, some SSDs and two inexpensive 1080p monitors (yeah I know, not accurate etc, but gotta start somewhere right?). I'm using Resolve Studio 14b6 and editing H.264 1080p/59.94 from an action cam for a motovlog and it's working extremely well, not only does it play back smoothly but I can press L four times and it will still play back without dropping frames, one more L and it starts to struggle but damn that's impressive! I'm happy with the Fairlight page because the camera audio from inside a waterproof housing seems to be too quiet for Resolve to reliably grab the waveform from it for automatically syncing my external audio but with the Fairlight page I can expand the waveforms to fullscreen while I monitor the video on my second monitor in it's floating window, makes manual syncing trivial.

I'm glad I bought Studio, it really is impressive how it will play back anything I've thrown at it without a hitch. I've had pretty much no crashes or any weirdness with this beta. Well done Blackmagic!

Return to DaVinci Resolve