Correct RCM settings importing CR2 files please?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

clive davis

Correct RCM settings importing CR2 files please?

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am

Hi. I don't suppose you could tell me what the correct color space and import settings would be to import my time lapse footage created from Canon CR2 files.
The reason I am uncertain about the settings is because there is a profound difference between the initial imported file(s) between DaVinci Resolve and opening the same file in Adobe Camera Raw.
The initial Adobe Camera Raw displays the image looking much closer to the also saved jpeg sequence, but of course as a CR2 file I have the advantage of greater bit depth and more adjustment range.
The same CR2 file opened in Resolve is darker and more saturated before I've done anything: Hence I think I'm importing into Resolve incorrectly.
(DSLR settings were set to AdobeRGB not sRGB)
So what is the correct neutral way of importing these CR2 time lapse files into Resolve (note to export as Rec.709)

Can you/anyone help/advise?

Thank you
Clive

rick.lang

Re: Correct RCM settings importing CR2 files please?

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Resolve includes a variety of Canon camera definitions in the Project Settings. I found the 7D worked very well bringing in Canon HDV footage (after I converted it to ProRes in iMovie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

clive davis

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks Rick
For time lapse of course I'm shooting RAW stills (not video) and so it's CR2(stills).
However, since my original post there's been a little development my end.
Just to clarify I'm using Resolve 14 (beta)

The CR2 files are giving me some strange colour aberrations (pinkish) around the "hot spot" as well as the overall look being quite unlike the same CR2 file opened in Adobe Camera Raw, pre meddling.
I've downloaded Adobe DNG converter and reimported the same files as DNG and now things look correct.
I've also been using the ACES colour science and am trying various IDT's such as Canon 7D. As far as the IDT goes I still don't understand enough to know if what I'm doing is superfluous or not, and if the 7D IDT setting is sensor specific and/or only relevant to video as opposed to stills.

I'm still trying various options this end. Trying to be methodical but I have little idea about the engineering behind what I'm doing.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Clive, good you have a workflow that solves your problem. I'm exclusively using ACES now and I'm sure the Canon 7D IDT applies to both Video and stills. And it's not limited to the 7D camera as I imagine it applies adequately as a starting point to the range of Canon sensors that are APS-C (like the EOS Rebel) or smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Christopher Irion

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Rick,
I am trying to use the canon C200 raw files in an ACES workflow. I cannot find a C200 IDT in the drop down menu. Canon has a bunch of them that you can download from their website: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... _downloads
But doesn't say how to load them into resolve. I cannot find a resolve folder that contains .ctl/.exr files (the extension canon uses) that they might obviously be dropped into.
Are you using manufacturer supplied IDTs in your workflow?

Hopefully you or someone from Blackmagic might know how to get these in to Resolve?
Last edited by Christopher Irion on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 Core)
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Christopher, I was using the Canon 7D IDT supplied by Resolve. I haven’t looked in the Resolve Manual to see if it includes the instructions to import IDT/ODTs. Have you found references in the latest manual?

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Did you try the Canon C300 IDT? It may work well enough.

Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve