RAID setup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robin Erard

RAID setup

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 am

Hello,

Yesterday I had a lot of problem to play my material into Davinci Resolve 12.5.6 on OSX. I thought it was because of the codec and mix frame rate In fact it was because HDD RAID6 access. I copied my material on a standard USB3 HDD and it worked. So I think the RAID6 setup is wrong..

I'm not in my studio, but at someone else studio, his all new RAID6 system is : LaCie 8big Rack Thunderbolt™ 2

What is the best setup for a RAId6 for Davinci Resolve (Cash size, block size, write back or write through etc...)?

Best

Robin
Robin Erard
www.rougegorge-postproduction.ch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2831668/
Colorist, director, editor
Nord 13, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland

Marc Wielage

Re: RAID setup

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 am

I'm using a G-Speed Studio XL 8-drive 64TB Thunderbolt2 at the moment, and I believe my settings are:

RAID5
1MB stripe
read/write cache enabled

The drives are WD Red 8TB with a 128GB cache, and I'm getting about 826MB/s write and 1108MB/s read, which is actually better than the 24TB setup this replaced. Playing 4K in real-time is not a problem. With my small ape-like brain, I just accepted the default RAID5 settings beyond this and it seems to work just fine under OSX 10.12.8 so far.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

RAID setup

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 pm

RAID 6 is going to run slower than RAID 5, although you have greater safety. Still I'd never want to actually rebuild a RAID 5/6 system especially one as large as 64TB. I'm a fan of RAID 10. One disk goes bad, replace it, and immediately carry on working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jack Fairley

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am

rick.lang wrote:I'd never want to actually rebuild a RAID 5/6 system especially one as large as 64TB

It's almost guaranteed to fail. The WD Red drives have an unrecoverable read error rate of 10^-14, which means that for an 8x 8TB setup, you have a 99% chance to fail rebuilding in RAID 5, and 97% chance to fail in RAID 6. WD Red Pro drives have a much better URE of 10^-15, translating into 36% and 11% to fail respectively, but you still have to endure a rebuild even if it works.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Robin Erard

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 6:16 am

Hello,

Thank's for your messages.
Our HDDs are server quality. But the problem is that the access time to the drive seems to be variable. Sometimes it reads material (video) immediately sometime I have to wait 5 seconds, sometimes I have to press play bar 10 times. I put the same material on standard HDD USB3, and it works without any problem. That's why I think the RAID6 setup is bad, and that's why I would like to know the best setup to create a RAI6 array for video.

Best
Robin
Robin Erard
Switzerland

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 am

Could it be that your RAID has some 'sleep' settings?
Please, don't take this for an offense.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

Robin Erard wrote:Hello,

Thank's for your messages.
Our HDDs are server quality. But the problem is that the access time to the drive seems to be variable. Sometimes it reads material (video) immediately sometime I have to wait 5 seconds, sometimes I have to press play bar 10 times. I put the same material on standard HDD USB3, and it works without any problem. That's why I think the RAID6 setup is bad, and that's why I would like to know the best setup to create a RAI6 array for video.

Best
Robin

It has nothing to do with RAID6, you simply have some fundamental problem with your setup.
This should not happen and it doesn't really happen when things are working as they should.

You rather want big block size for work with video (specially 4K DPX, EXRs)- you can use biggest choice on the list.

It maybe faulty controller, TB2 issue, drivers or combination of all of them.
Is RAID6 showing healthy status?
Ty different TB2 port- if you are on Mac Pro look at TB2 port layout and connect it to port which will be dedicated just for RAID.
Make sure everything is up to date. Try AJA disk test (not BM one) with big file size and checked detailed graph for performance dropouts.

Robin Erard

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 am

Hello,

Thank's for your message.
There is no "sleep settings", your question wasn't an offense, don't worry ;-)

About strip size
The choice from the list are limited to 256 max. No others options. Strange, no ?

I will try to reinstall drivers and change TB2 port and launch a AJA disk test.

Thank's for your help everyone.

Best
Robin
Robin Erard
Switzerland

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 pm

256K is already fairly big stripe size, so this is not a big surprise. Some controllers offer bigger ones, some don't, usually more expensive ones do bigger sizes (I think).

Return to DaVinci Resolve