No Add User Options

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dashiell Demeter

No Add User Options

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:38 am

Hello there,

I'm using Resolve Studio 12.5 on a Mac Pro running 10.12.5.

Yesterday when I sat down to work on my project Resolve wouldn't open up. It would boot up the splash page but after everything was done loading the splash screen would go away and nothing would pop up. I'm running 12.5 Studio and normally a window pops up asking me to pick a user. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled and the same problem happened. I tried doing a regular install of 12.5.6 and got the same problem. I tried the 14 Studio beta and got the same problem.

I eventually went into Library -> Application Support -> and deleted all those files and reinstalled and that's when I was able to get Resolve to boot properly again. The problem now is that all of my project files look like a deck of cards and I can't open them. It's like this with the files I converted for 14 as well as my 12.5 backups. It's also not letting me select a user, which I think is the problem. It automatically starts me off as Admin with no option to add a user.

Please let me know if you folks have any ideas to help me out or if you'd like any more details.

Thank you.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Add User Options

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 pm

If you had your projects stored in a Disk database, in the default location, that location is in the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder. If you deleted that, you deleted your project database.

You say your project files look like a deck of cards. Do you actually see your project names? The deck of cards icon normally indicates that a project folder has been created, and the projects are within that folder.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dashiell Demeter

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 am

Hey Dwaine,

All of my projects are stored on a database on my external drive, so I don't think my actions in ridding my Library files should have any affect on this (since I was able to work on my projects on other computers simply by plugging my external in).

Yes, my projects look like a deck of cards. I see project names, but unlike when I worked on these projects in the past, I don't see any images displayed and double clicking on the files doesn't open them, rather it opens it up like a folder revealing sub-folders like Batch Renders and SeqContainer.

I think the problem that I'm having is that something is wrong with the user options in Resolve. I'm used to being presented on start up with options for choosing a user and now I don't get that option. It automatically logs in as Admin, while my projects should be accessible to the guest user. I've tried using Studio 12.5, standard 12.5.6 and the most recent 14 beta. I duplicated my database and converted the copy to be used in 14, and that works sort of. it opens a few of my projects, but much older versions of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Resolve 14 has removed the multi-user login option. That's why you don't see that.

In Resolve 14, if you select a database that previously had multiple users, there will be a user select dropdown menu on the right side of the database name (assuming you have Project Manager set to show you the database info on the left side), and you can select the desired user with that, and you'll see that users projects.

If you have your database on an external drive, and you have the database properly selected in 12.5.6, you still see project folder icons, instead of the projects?

It's possible your project folders have gotten corrupted somehow. On the external drive, in the Resolve Projects/Users/guest/Projects folder (assuming guest if the user name, if not replace guest with the desired user name), will be folders for all your projects. Pick a folder or 2 of projects you need to recover, zip the folder(s) and post them on a file sharing site and provide a link to the files. I'll take a look and see if they are recoverable or not.
Dwaine Maggart

Dashiell Demeter

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm

The more playing around I do with trying to get this to work, the more I think that you're right and a file got corrupted.

I did an experiment where I created a brand new working project file. I slowly added pieces from my project that won’t open to the file structure of the new project. Each step of the way I would check if the project opened. For example, I replaced the new empty Thumbnails folder with my old thumbnails folder and checked if it worked, it did and I was now seeing images in the new project before I opened it. I continued doing this until I got to the last file folder, the MediaPool. This replacement caused the problem I originally had, Resolve quitting after selecting the project I wanted to open.

This is a link to a zip of the project I would most want recovered.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_t9A ... WdrNVR3OEU

Thanks for your help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 pm

The project you sent, which was apparently created in Resolve 12.5.5, has been loaded and saved in Resolve 14, and the 12.5 required Project.xml and Config2.xml files have been replaced with a Resolve 14 Project.db file.

Do you happen to have a copy of this folder that has the original Project and Config2 xml files intact?
Dwaine Maggart

Dashiell Demeter

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Here is the zip of the project from my 12.5 backup that hasn't been converted for 14. But it doesn't seem to have the Project.XML and Config2.XML files you mentioned. Which is strange, since when I look at that database in 14 it says I need to convert it in order to access it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_t9A ... zY5dFF4Qkk

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 pm

If it doesn't have a Project.xml file in it, then it's not recoverable for Resolve 12.5. If it has a Project.db file in it, it's been loaded in Resolve 14.
Dwaine Maggart

Dashiell Demeter

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 pm

And there's no way to convert a Resolve 14 file back to something that will work in 12.5?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Here's a 14b7 drp you can import into 14b7:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d0c3tnu9g2ms ... y.drp?dl=0

No, 14 projects won't work in 12.5.

Which is why it's a good idea to make a database backup and/or project export drps of important projects, before updating to a new Resolve version, just in case you need to go back.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve