Simple & Fast Keyboard Shortcuts for Basic Editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

Simple & Fast Keyboard Shortcuts for Basic Editing

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:44 pm

This has been an issue since I moved from Premiere to Resolve in 12.5 and continues to be a problem in 14, and into Beta 7. Inside Premiere I was able to edit really fast by using the Keyboard Shortcuts, and so many were simple. The biggest issue here is the Insert & Overwrite.

Resolve:
Insert = F9
Overwrite = F10

Premiere:
Insert = ,
Overwrite = .

Now that may seem like it's still simple, but on a Mac it's not. Those Function keys require you to hold the fn button in order to use them. Since I edit on an older laptop and an iMac that both don't have the new Touch Bar the Function Keys are mapped to different single click controls such as volume, media play/pause, screen brightness, etc.

So, Premiere Pro wins here for the simplicity of the Keyboard Shortcuts. If I try to change them to the Premiere Pro options they don't work unless I fix the conflict since those buttons are mapped to another option by default in Resolve.

Alternatively, there was a Keyboard Shortcut I used in Premiere often because it was easier and better than clicking and dragging with a mouse. That was Nudge Selected Clip Up/Down using Option+Up/Down. Sadly there is no Keyboard Shortcut for this in Resolve. None whatsoever, and thus you can't map it. I would love to be able to create this Keyboard Shortcut, but sadly Resolve doesn't allow me to make custom Shortcuts in this manner. So it's one that needs to be added by the coding team.

There are a few other Shortcuts that could use some speed improvements I'm sure, but those were the ones I wanted to focus on for now. I know PC/Linux users won't understand the Function Button dilemma, but there are of us Mac users who would agree that Function Buttons are inefficient for Shortcuts on a Mac.

Once these Keyboard Shortcuts are improved then I have no doubt that Resolve will be an even better editor. I already use it as my main editor. However, I admit to being faster in Premiere because the Keyboard Shortcuts are simpler and faster. That's significant to paying clients who want speed.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

seanross67

Re: Simple & Fast Keyboard Shortcuts for Basic Editing

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I invert the use of my function keys, so that it is normally using regular function keys, and then if I need volume, brightness etc., I have to use the "fn" key. And I have to say, using the function keys is great for this, as the period is far to close to other letters for me to reliably not-hit. Also, I use option-arrow up and down all the time, and it works perfectly on my system. Both Linux and Mac.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.43.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.43.20 AM.png (282.42 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

seanross67 wrote:I invert the use of my function keys, so that it is normally using regular function keys, and then if I need volume, brightness etc., I have to use the "fn" key. And I have to say, using the function keys is great for this, as the period is far to close to other letters for me to reliably not-hit. Also, I use option-arrow up and down all the time, and it works perfectly on my system. Both Linux and Mac.

That Function Key fix definitely helps a lot. Now I'll just have to relearn that keyboard shortcut in my mind.

The issue of Option-Arrow Up Still exists for me. It still doesn't move the clip I've selected up a track. Curious what might the difference there for your system.

I also miss having D as the select clip at playhead. Still can't find a keyboard shortcut for that in Resolve. I know you can select all the clips forward and backward, but haven't found one for just the select clip at playhead.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm

I do think a LOT of the PP shortcuts make more sense, these in particular.

You have your fingers on JKL for playback, the I and O are right above, the Insert and Overwright are directly below.

F9 and F10 just don't make sense.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

timbutt2 wrote:...
I also miss having D as the select clip at playhead. Still can't find a keyboard shortcut for that in Resolve. I know you can select all the clips forward and backward, but haven't found one for just the select clip at playhead.

Shift V to select the clip. V to select the edit. ;)
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:...

Shift V to select the clip. V to select the edit. ;)

Sweet! Will test this out when I get back to my computer later.

And Jim, those are also my sentiments about the placement of Insert & Overwrite in PPro. So many of the PPro Keyboard Shortcuts are set up with complete knowledge of how your hands sit on the keyboard and what edit functions you need quickly at the fingertips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeterMoretti

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:50 pm

You can go into DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... User... Keyboard Mapping... and set the keyboard to Adobe Premiere Pro. I don't know how accurate it is, but perhaps it could help.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:You can go into DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... User... Keyboard Mapping... and set the keyboard to Adobe Premiere Pro. I don't know how accurate it is, but perhaps it could help.

It's not accurate to Premiere Pro. Not in the slightest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 am

Tim, if you PM your list of PPro shortcuts I'll take a look.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

timbutt2

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Tim, if you PM your list of PPro shortcuts I'll take a look.

Sent DM. Thank you for taking a look into this.

Resolve has become my primary editor these days. Ever since the update to 12.5.

Return to DaVinci Resolve