Cropping to custom resolution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ScottEzell

Cropping to custom resolution

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm new to Resolve....well, video editing in general. I only started to edit my daughter's games (softball/volleyball) into clips for submission to colleges.

I've been doing pretty well, taking 4K video footage from my Yi 4K+, and editing it down to 1080p. Which allowed me to zoom and pan around. But I've recently tried something new, and my Google-fu has failed me. Likely, I don't know the terms of video editing to get my search correct.

What I'm trying to do, is take 4K footage (volleyball game), and crop out any extra parts around the court. Then, to keep maximum quality, while reducing file size, render only the exact resolution of what's left. I'm guessing I need to set my render output to whatever I have left after cropping, but how do I find that number. Will I need to do the math myself, based on the crop values, or is there somewhere to see what the video resolution is. Or is there a simple way to tell Resolve to deliver just the video portion, without the black bars.

I apologize if this has been answered, or should be obvious from the manual...but I've failed to find it.

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Cropping to custom resolution

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:42 pm

In the edit window highlight a clip in your timeline, clock on the Inspector button on the right side to bring up the info on the clip, scroll down for crop and resize settings.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Marshall

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 am

Scott - I have the same issue. Did you ever find out how?The guy who answered didn't solve my issue.

ManHal

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Having the same issue and cannot find a solution. Seems like this is impossible, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Return to DaVinci Resolve