Cache indicators missing in beta7?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mel Matsuoka

Cache indicators missing in beta7?

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am

I finally jumped into the R14 beta pool for the first time today, and immediately noticed that timeline cache indicators are no longer visible. And it feels as if caching doesn't work at all.

No matter if I enable/disable Performance Mode, force User or Smart Caching, nothing seems to be caching anymore. Neither Clip Source caching or Node caching seem to work anymore.

Am I missing something, or is this a regression in b7?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Cache indicators missing in beta7?

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 am

Answering my own question:

Turns out that enabling project collaboration disables the cache indicators.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Chip.Murphy

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Smart caching doesn't work with collaboration mode, in previous builds at least...

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Chip.Murphy wrote:Smart caching doesn't work with collaboration mode, in previous builds at least...

In my observation. any type of caching--both Smart or User--doesn't seem to work in collaboration mode.

Is there a reason for this that I'm missing? Or is this an actual bug/missing feature?

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 am

Caching and Groups are both not supported under collaboration currently.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:Caching and Groups are both not supported under collaboration currently.

Thanks for that info Rohit.

I can understand the technical challenge in implementing a working caching system when using collaborative workflows. But I have to say that it's a real bummer that Groups are not supported, much like it's not when using the Remote Grading feature.

If I can submit a feature request, could you implement some sort of warning function that informs the colorist when they try to use the Groups (or caching) feature while either Collaborative workflow is enabled, or during a Remote Grading session, that those features don't work properly in those modes?

I was setting up and troubleshooting a Remote Grading configuration a month or so ago, and we were all scratching our heads as to why I was seeing something different on my end, vs what the remote colorist was seeing on their end. It turned out they had enable Grouping, which wasn't translating to our system.

Return to DaVinci Resolve