Newbie to DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kenny Maultsby

Newbie to DaVinci Resolve

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Hello, all. I am kicking the tires on DaVinci Resolve as a video editor and so far I like it. Trying to get away from Adobe monthly subscription plan. I have a couple of questions. When I open Resolve a small window comes up "Failed to initialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What is that? How well Resolve works with other plugin's like NewBlue and After Effects Boris etc.

What is the best hard drive setup for DR?
Are there any special settings for Dual monitors?
Mix formats on the timeline any issues? Or is best to transcode and if so to what DNXHD or other?
Importing stills what are the best setting? I coming from Premiere. Import still to match your video format.

PeterMoretti

Re: Newbie to DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 am

Don't know about the Red decoder issue. I do have Redcine-X installed on my machine, but I don't think that's necessary.

I used BorisFx's BCC and haven't found any big issues. Rendering OFX nodes is a little clunky (they have to be re-rendered sometimes when you feel like they shouldn't have to be), but not a deal killer.

No HD requirements that would be different than for other NLE's.

There's a Dual Screen layout choice in the Workspace menu. I use it on my desktop. It works fine.

Mixed formats seem fine, as do stills; I just drag them into a bin and edit them into the timeline (there is a setting to change the default duration of stills).

I'm not saying that you will like editing in Resolve as much as like Premiere Pro. But it's **really** improving and I think worth the effort to learn.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Rakesh Malik

Re: Newbie to DaVinci Resolve

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm doing most of my editing in Resolve now...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve