how to bulk export images from video clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adam Brown

how to bulk export images from video clips?

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Say I have a video clip that is 5 seconds, which comprises of 150 frames (30 frames per second). How would I export every frame as an image and save to a folder on my computer? Of course I could grab images 1 by 1 and export, but that is going to be real tedious to do 150 times! Is there a bulk export function, as I don't see anything?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: how to bulk export images from video clips?

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 am

Export as a dpx, tiff or exr as these are single frame based formats.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Adam Brown

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Export as a dpx, tiff or exr as these are single frame based formats.

I have been looking at this but I still can't export a clip as multiple picture frames. Please could you tell me the exact menu's I need to select? I guess I can't do it from the edit tab, but in colour tab I only export single images?

RobFromm

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 am

This is really simple to do.
1) Place your video on the timeline in the edit page
2) Set the in and out points if necessary
3) Go to the deliver page and on the left side set the render parameters: File location (create a new empty folder) and then in the format window choose TIFF.
4) make sure the box above the timeline (in the middle of the screen) shows in and out, or entire time line as required
5) at the bottom of the left side render parameters window, click to add the render job. It will show up on the right side of the screen as a new job.
6) on the right side of the screen, click the button to begin the render
7) You are done. the new folder will contain a TIFF image for each frame, numbered sequentially.

Adam Brown

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 am

RobFromm wrote:3) Go to the deliver page

Thanks so much for this. I did not realize it was on the delivery page, as other editors I have used have this feature in the edit page.

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Since Resolve let's you edit on a timeline with much different settings than the desired deliverables, creating any output is thought of as the finished quality products with the appropriate settings so the Deliver tab is the appropriate place. For example your Edit is working with proxy renders, but your final product is 4K with all effects applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve