Resolve 14b7 Database Backup problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Wielage

Resolve 14b7 Database Backup problem

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Just tried to backup my Project Database today, and got the following error message:

Since this is not covered in the manual, I'm at a loss. This has always worked with past versions. Anybody have a solution?

This is under Mac OSX 10.12.6 on a much-hated and despised Trashcan Mac. Individual projects can be exported.

I did repair permissions to the destination drive, to no avail.

BTW, we could sure use a progress bar on backups like this and not a spinning beach ball. I would put this very high on the priority list.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Sterne

Re: Resolve 14b7 Database Backup problem

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:20 am

Ugh, that's a scary one. I'm glad individual project exports are working.

+1 for a progress bar for database backup. Because it usually does take a while, it would be very helpful to know how it progresses (or not, in this case!)

John Paines

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 am

Can't help with this problem, but if your immediate worry is not having a backup, just copy the database folder and store it elsewhere. It'll be significantly larger than the backup files, but only because there's no project compression.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:17 am

As a sanity check, can you take the dashes and spaces out of the backup name?

Are you able to render a file to that location?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Marc Wielage

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 8:05 am

All right, I win the total jackass of the month award. (Dwaine, you know for a fact I could never pass a sanity check.)

I just discovered that the damned drive in question (a 1TB SSD) was full, and that's what resulted in that error message. Had no space for the database.

Now, what would be nice would be if the Resolve error message was rewritten to say, "Hey, stupid! You're out of space!" That would be a lot more helpful.

In the meantime, I'm setting this one on fire and getting a 2TB to replace it. :cry: The backup now works fine with dashes. (Even if that were the issue, the error message should say, "hey, stupid! Don't put dashes in the file name!")

BTW, have I mentioned that I would really like to see an appendix for the manual that just listed all the error messages and possible interpretations of what they mean to humans? And could there be a Troubleshooting section, as in "if this happens, try X, Y, and Z?" That would be nice to have.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 pm

That would be nice, wouldn't it?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve