14b6 & b7 problems with preview monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Draper

14b6 & b7 problems with preview monitor

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Not sure if this issue is present with Resolve 12.x, but appears to be a bug with using the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 as preview monitor for Resolve Studio 14 b6 & b7:

Works OK for a bit, but then after selecting new clips in the timeline, will hang with spinning wheel for quite some time before playing again. Ditto in the Colour page, for example, touch one of the colour wheels then the preview monitor & Resolve will hang for a minute or more, then start paying again. In all, these very long lags make the system unworkable. Performs exactly like a driver bug. If I disable the Shuttle as preview monitor & re-start Resolve again, it works as it should in full screen.

In this case: UHD 25fps or 50fps DNxHR HQX footage, 1080p 25fps timeline, smart caching on, Desktop Video 10.9.5 drivers. BenQ SW2700PT as preview monitor over HDMI. Other formats, ditto. The spinning wheel /lag /'thinking' issues appear constant.
    * Am aware of the various suggestions posted elsewhere re. USB 3.0 hubs, quality of cables etc. This computer is running all other USB 2 & 3 just fine in a professional recording studio. Am also using powered USB Hubs, all other devices and drivers work as they should, up to date etc on Win10 Pro. Have tried the Shuttle both via powered Hub & MoBo. There were also other suggestions about downgrading the Shuttle drivers but all that did was produce Windows blue screen and driver error reporting. Now have reinstalled latest BM Desktop Video 10.9.5 again and all is notionally good according to Windows, the Intensity Shuttle USB config panel, and in capturing media from camera via Media express etc.
Anything I may have missed in order to get this thing working? (Thanks!)

Was hoping USB 3.0 would do the trick because I was wanting to conserve PCIe slots (all seven are busy doing other things). However, shall try replacing an existing USB-C/3.1 PCIe card with a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k and see if that does the trick. May also try temporarily downgrading to Resolve 12.5.6 to see if that performs any differently.

Who knows, the USB Shuttle may come in handy for a little capture here and there (but really, was really not a priority for now).
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

PeterMoretti

Re: 14b6 & b7 problems with preview monitor

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm

I have not had any issues with my Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0, except for the image on the monitor sometimes timing out, but I think that's a monitor issue, not with the Shuttle.

I have to say that I'm only using it with 23.976 material. If you want to dropbox a media file and a .drp, I'll check it out on my setup.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Paul Draper

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:I have not had any issues with my Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0, except for the image on the monitor sometimes timing out, but I think that's a monitor issue, not with the Shuttle.

I have to say that I'm only using it with 23.976 material. If you want to dropbox a media file and a .drp, I'll check it out on my setup.

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Shall have a closer look at 12.5.6 first.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Paul, fwiw, I didn't notice any difference between 12 all the way through 14b7. I was pretty good at running the most recent NVidia and Desktop video drivers. Which can be a bit of a pain b/c Windows 10 (AFAICT) no longer gives the choice to install optional updates like video drivers--so they have to be installed manually.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Paul Draper

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Paul, fwiw, I didn't notice any difference between 12 all the way through 14b7. I was pretty good at running the most recent NVidia and Desktop video drivers. Which can be a bit of a pain b/c Windows 10 (AFAICT) no longer gives the choice to install optional updates like video drivers--so they have to be installed manually.

Now that's a clue, thanks ... am running the latest Nvidia drivers for my Titans via Geforce Experience because it checks & downloads. Now elsewhere have noticed a few derogatory comments about Experience and Resolve [?]. May indeed be gobbledygook, but shall try uninstalling and fresh manual driver install etc.

Paul Draper

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Did a re-jig on all this: 'deep' remove all Nvidia drivers (thanks for the tip elsewhere re. Guru3D.com-DDU), reinstalled via iObit Driver Booster (no GeForce gaming). 'deep' uninstalled Desktop video, Resolve etc. patted head, performed ritual incantations, re-booted etc ... So, clean install of latest Desktop Video drivers & Resolve 12.5.6. Damn fine performance from the PC elsewhere across the board including all sync, USB, high sample rate digital audio & video containers running in other platforms etc.

Resolve 12.5.6 runs the Intensity Shuttle USB as preview monitor *much* better than 14b7 or b6. Although still, the locking up and waiting does appear from time to time - just not as much or as annoyingly. Back to a clean install of 14b7: exactly the same poor performance as before with locking up & long wait times. Had also removed all other connections and switching for the BenQ preview monitor - now only connected via the Shuttle HDMI cable.

Had a closer look at this throughout the system: the Shuttle control panel seems to want to change frequency all by itself: the project as mentioned earlier is a 1080p 25fps timeline (playing 4k DNxHR HQX) footage. The shuttle Control Panel often reverts to NTS, the BenQ freq info also mirrors this.

The issue with the wait in Resolve seems to be in trying to 'sync' the Resolve /preview monitor/ shuttle settings. Meantime, the Display can variously flicker, go black, draw random colour lines etc. all the while theres a spinning ball in Resolve. The project usually starts up and performs fine, but the gets progressively worse as I locate around the timeline; also worse when attempting to use the colour page.

Is looking consistently like a system sync issue for the video format. Possibly something to do with the BM Video server which is installed with the Intensity software?

Paul Draper

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 3:21 am

OK, I think I have the issue 'solved':

The Shuttle does not like clip source frame-rates being different to the timeline. Possibly some of my inexperience involved with all that as well, however: previously have been freely dropping different kinds of source material /shooting frame-rates onto a 1080p 25fps timeline & working fine with that without the preview monitor to date.

With the Shuttle as HMDI preview, the whole system bogs down enormously when locating, waiting for the render cache to catch up, or making adjustments in the colour page. Often needs to force quit. The worst performing and crashing was a series of UHD 60p (OK, 59.94) footage on a 25p timeline. Similarly, but not quite as bad, 50p on a 25p timeline. If the Clip Attributes are changed to 25p to match the timeline, the locking up and waiting goes away.

To further confuse matters, 14b7 is far worse than b6 and especially in relation to some very odd performance around smart caching and other weirdness reported elsewhere.

Generally speaking, the Shuttle works 'mostly' as advertised – as long as the source Clip frame rate is the same as the Timeline.

Paul Draper

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Update, FWIW: Now have done more thorough testing & roll-backs:

The Intensity Shuttle USB & latest Desktop Video drivers equally have problems on both beta 14 'official' 12.5.6 Resolve Studio. This always involves the HDMI preview monitor locking up. Spinning balls, long wait times, flickering display, coloured lines, or going black /dead. Sometimes rights itself if one is prepared to wait long enough, sometimes crashes. Overall, this performance is 'slightly' better on Resolve Studio 12.5.6, but the same underlying problems occur. Makes the Shuttle, monitor & Resolve unusable.

Here's the latest bottom line: The Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 & Desktop Video 10.9.5 works *perfectly* with Adobe Premier CC 2017 on this same system. Clearly then the problems are 100% with Resolve.

PeterMoretti

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 am

Paul, wondering if you are still having issues with the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 or if is working okay for you now?

Return to DaVinci Resolve