Missing clips - Avid AAF

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kristian Skogen

Missing clips - Avid AAF

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi,

I was just about to start working on the third episode of a show I'm grading in Resolve.

As I've done with the first two episodes (and hundreds of different episodes before), I flattened all multicam clips (commit multicam edits) and exported an AAF to folder, with 50 handles and all of the clips transcoded to DNXHD 185X. When importing the AAF to Resolve about 40% of the clips are missing and I get a message saying:

"Clip "43_ABC.new.02" in track V1 at timecode 01:38:56:18 with reel name "1044" and file name "1044V01.599........mxf": File not found in search directories."

When manually searching for the files in my AAF folder the files definitely do exist.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Thank you.

Best,
Kristian

Hector Berrebi

Re: Missing clips - Avid AAF

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 am

Kristian Skogen wrote:Hi,

When manually searching for the files in my AAF folder the files definitely do exist.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Thank you.

Best,
Kristian

Hi Kristian

From my experience with transcoded (unlike native) Avid-Resolve workflows:

A. It tends to work better when AAF is linked to Avid Media Files and not embedded (you can consolidate the transcoded sequence to a fast drive)
B. It tends to work better when I first feed Resolve with the media, then import AAF (unchecking "import media...")
C. I assume you did check the "AAF Edit Protocol" Checkbox when exporting.

hope this helped.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Return to DaVinci Resolve