Transcoding doesn't seem to work properly with Subclips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Transcoding doesn't seem to work properly with Subclips

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi,

I'm in DR 12.5.6.017 and I'm having a problem transcoding with subclips.

I've got some long source files, and I've pulled the good sections of them into DR as subclips. They appear in the Media page like this:
IMG_5998.MOV Subclip Start TC 00:00:00:00 End TC 00:00:05:25
IMG_5998.MOV Subclip Start TC 00:00:16:10 End TC 00:00:21:23
IMG_5998.MOV Subclip Start TC 00:00:24:00 End TC 00:00:31:08
IMG_5998.MOV Subclip Start TC 00:00:34:09 End TC 00:00:39:04
This source clip has these four subclips referencing it, and that's the only subclips from it.

My workflow involves creating proxy media to edit with (slow computer!) so I use the Media Management tool to generate Prores 720p intermediaries to edit with.

If I highlight the first clip, go into Media Manager and select Clips -> Transcode it tells me the following:
1 clip selected
Current Size 80.14 MB (the original file is 84Mb so seems to be referring to the whole source clip)
New Size 71.81 MB

and when I use the "Transcode all media" it creates a file that only has a 5 second duration, just like my subclip. The output file is 64.5MB so the "New Size" seems right.
However, the file has the audio from the correct subclip, but shows the red Media Offline for the picture for the whole clip. The subclip and source clip are fine in DR and both play through with full picture and sound.

When I highlight the first two clips and go to the same Media Management settings, it says:
2 clips selected. (correct)
Current Size 80.14 MB (still the same size as the whole source clip)
New Size 71.81 MB (Not correct - this should be about twice this size because the second subclip is about another 5 seconds)

when I hit Start this time it says something like "processing 1 of 1 clips" and only creates one file, which is the audio of the second clip and the red Media Offline image.

If I only process the second subclip it has the same results as selecting both clips.

If I add the whole source clip into DR and try to Transcode that then I get a file that's got the same duration as the source file, has the audio from the whole thing, and has the red Media Offline image for most of the video, except the last few seconds, which show the picture from the source file. These last few seconds line up with the fourth / last subclip I have from that file.

VLC says the source video file is "H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)" and the audio is "MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)" but I'm not sure this is relevant because the file plays fine on my machine in VLC, Quicktime, and DR, with DR playing the whole clip and the subclips all perfectly fine with full picture and audio.

Does anyone know what is going on? My computer programming background tells me that it the Media Management tool is either not built for subclips, or it's got more than one serious bug, but I'd put my money on the former rather than the latter.

Any way to get around this? I've spent a lot of time pulling out the great moments from a great many source clips (an entire weeks long trip with my kids - lots of good moments but they're fleeting..), so to not be able to easily use my proxy workflow would cost me a lot of time with this project.

Thanks in advance!

Kye Leslie

Re: Transcoding doesn't seem to work properly with Subclips

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 am

I should have mentioned I'm on Mac, running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and running Resolve Studio 12.5.6.017.
Thanks!

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 am

Did you try the same with 14? Subclip handling has changed too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Kye Leslie

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:36 am

I haven't tried with 14. I'm waiting for it to come out of Beta, maybe it will by the time that I finish my other projects and get to the one with lots of subclips!

Return to DaVinci Resolve