Text Formatting on Specific Font

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthew Lumb

Text Formatting on Specific Font

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to use a specific font - Lora - for a client, but in Resolve 12.5.6.017 it doesn't display correctly. I've come across this problem before, but usually solved it by using a different font. This time though I have to use this font. The following grabs are examples where the text has just been typed in and left with no extra formatting.

So, in Resolve, the text looks like this. Weirdly spaced and just grim.
Resolve.JPG
Resolve.JPG (19.43 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

In Fusion 9, it's good.
Fusion.JPG
Fusion.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

And in Word it's fine.
Word.JPG
Word.JPG (23.54 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

I've read posts about individually kerning the characters (crazy talk!) or using Fusion (time consuming), but I really want to keep this in Resolve for speed.

Anybody got any idea on why this is happening? It's just certain TTF fonts in Resolve, and the fonts are fine in other applications.

Thanks!

Martin Schitter

Re: Text Formatting on Specific Font

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm

yes -- text support in resolve is not very satisfying, but there are many possible workarounds avaialble.
i would create the text or graphics in inkscape and finally animate and render the SVG layers in natron. that's certainly a quite cumbersome and complicate workaround, but it gives you very precise creative control and results of acceptable image quality.

see: https://natron.readthedocs.io/en/master ... kflow.html

Matthew Lumb

Re: Text Formatting on Specific Font

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I'll look into those options, thank you.

I think I've found a workaround - I deleted the TTF and found an OTF version that seems to be behaving. Odd that this problem only affects certain fonts. But there you go.

Return to DaVinci Resolve