Applestore version Coexist with Dongle version?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Armstrong

Applestore version Coexist with Dongle version?

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Davinci Resolve 12.6 Installation and setup question:

Can the AppleStore free and/or studio version safely coexist on the same iMac at the same time as the Studio dongle version?

I downloaded the free Apple Store version and have not even used it for anything yet, but decided to purchase the dongle version of Studio because I understand it is more capable than the studio version in the Apple Store. I have the dongle inserted but have only downloaded the 12.6 update and not yet installed the dongle version of the studio software.

Can both exist at the same time, or do I need to uninstall the free Apple Store version before installing the 12.6 dongle version I downloaded from this BlackMagic website? How?

Thank you!
Rich

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Applestore version Coexist with Dongle version?

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:11 am

While we don't recommend that, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Note that projects done in one will not be visible in the other. with their default settings.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Richard Armstrong

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank you! Very helpful to know. Sounds like nothing at all is shared between them. I have learned so much from reading through your answers to others. So that's how I understand about projects not being in both places due to separate database locations.

Trying to further understand how things are kept separate. Is there some sort of document that maps the locations of all objects related to the installation for Applestore vs. Dongle? Would like to understand how to eventually remove all the Apple Store objects without hurting the Dongle installation.

Thanks!
Rich

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

No such document.

To remove App Store Resolve versions, simply Trash the DaVinci Resolve.app in the Applications folder. Everything related to the App Store Resolve version, (Including Project and user data!) is in there, assuming you are using the default Disk database location. It's certainly possible to create and/or connect to databases in other locations with the App Store version.

If you had projects in the App Store version, you would want to be sure you've exported those and/or backed up the database, before removing the .app.

The BMD web site version of the Resolve application lives in a FOLDER in Applications called DaVinci Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve