Think you I can bettering this video?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Renato Zanardo

Think you I can bettering this video?

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm

for 25 years I do gymnastic shows, but at this time I don't found a light service that understand the differences between light scene and light effect scene, than all time I have footages totaly red, totaly blu or worse both blu and red, so the camera be creazy to focusing. This is the best I done but, despite I had learned tons of tutorial, I think I still understand nothing again about color grading with DaVinci. Think you can bettering this edit?

Mac OS 10.12.6 - DaVinci Resolve 14 - FinalCut Pro 7 - Cubase studio 7 - Soundtrack pro - Adobe After Effect CS6

Charles Bennett

Re: Think you I can bettering this video?

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Autofocus needs light to function. If a scene is too dark it will have problems. This is where you need to use manual focus.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am

Renato Zanardo wrote:Think you I can bettering this video?

Kind of a side topic here, but...what language was that originally in? The grammar is very odd.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mads Johansen

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Renato Zanardo wrote:Think you I can bettering this video?

Kind of a side topic here, but...what language was that originally in? The grammar is very odd.

Name gives a vimeo link that says he's Italian
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am

yes is Italian, You can't see it?
Mac OS 10.12.6 - DaVinci Resolve 14 - FinalCut Pro 7 - Cubase studio 7 - Soundtrack pro - Adobe After Effect CS6

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Autofocus needs light to function. If a scene is too dark it will have problems. This is where you need to use manual focus.

Yes but is difficult to use manual focus were we don't know what happen. Often we need move camera very quickly from a side to another of the scenes and there is no time. I think better to have more light.

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 am

More light would ruin the scenes, IMHO

For live recording of theatrical events you should have more than one camera and good coordination between them. What I normally do is set up one with higher resolution (like 4K if your intended result is HD), have it on a tripod and only carefully focus on the center of the action while recording all the stage.

At least two more cameras should move freely then and may be more adventurous, running around for good shots and not always holding focus. This way you always have a fallback camera, where you can even change the framing in post.

But there's not much you can do in post if an image is out of focus. Maybe some extreme, rather experimental grades with super contrast, which could give some illusion of sharpness.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hector Berrebi

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Renato Zanardo wrote:This is the best I done but, despite I had learned tons of tutorial, I think I still understand nothing again about color grading with DaVinci. Think you can bettering this edit?

Hello Renato

Strictly from a color perspective. Yes.. this probably can be improved considerably.

I do not know if the link you added is already graded (makes it harder to judge) and whether the blacks are this low in original video or crushed in post.

so this is less about contrast.

You have two colored lights interchanging (i've seen till 2:30) a very intense and saturated blue for a some parts and a varying red for most parts.

I think the approach I would take would be to not try and fix the blue light, but treat it as a given element.

There are numerous ways to reduce blue channel saturation/intensity

Most of the shots however, are with the red light, it does not distort colors as bad as the blue does (especially on skin), you can tone down your reds in these shots, and balance them to something that will look rather natural and probably better.

Some dancers wear a nice blue belt that is saturated enough to still look acceptable in this lighting.
this should help make the shots even nicer once reds are reduced and channels balanced.

These were made fast (very) and from a screen grab of your Vimeo..
Didn't try to match them either. Also, as mentioned, I'm not sure if its ungraded or if I'm grading a bad grade...
This is primary corrections - no masks, no qualifying, no complex color space manipulations or channel separation. I think you can see what i mean. wouldn't be that bad to have it look mostly like this, then dip to blue sometimes.
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 17.53.31.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 17.53.31.png (925.89 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

You can key frame grades where blue light comes on for a quick instance.

hope this helped.

hector.
Last edited by Hector Berrebi on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:More light would ruin the scenes, IMHO

For live recording of theatrical events you should have more than one camera and good coordination between them. What I normally do is set up one with higher resolution (like 4K if your intended result is HD), have it on a tripod and only carefully focus on the center of the action while recording all the stage.

At least two more cameras should move freely then and may be more adventurous, running around for good shots and not always holding focus. This way you always have a fallback camera, where you can even change the framing in post.

But there's not much you can do in post if an image is out of focus. Maybe some extreme, rather experimental grades with super contrast, which could give some illusion of sharpness.

Thanks Uli.
This show is usually replicated for 4 evenings. Each evening Usually I use 4 cameras of which: 1 for the total scene, 1 intermediate, and 2 for details. Finally, I insert 16 cameras into the timeline for editing, choosing the best footage. Before the show, we make the programming of the lights, which will remain the same for all 4 evenings, but unfortunately I do not and often we have to correct some scenes too dark or too colorful. It should be noted that none of the crew is a professional. The show takes place in a very large space. I tend to use backup cameras rarely, because they turn off the dynamism and are boring.

Sorry for my english, I hope U can understand me

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Renato Zanardo wrote:This is the best I done but, despite I had learned tons of tutorial, I think I still understand nothing again about color grading with DaVinci. Think you can bettering this edit?

Hello Renato

Strictly from a color perspective. Yes.. this probably can be improved considerably.

I do not know if the link you added is already graded (makes it harder to judge) and whether the blacks are this low in original video or crushed in post.

so this is less about contrast.

You have two colored lights interchanging (i've seen till 2:30) a very intense and saturated blue for a some parts and a varying red for most parts.

I think the approach I would take would be to not try and fix the blue light, but treat it as a given element.

There are numerous ways to reduce blue channel saturation/intensity

Most of the shots however, are with the red light, it does not distort colors as bad as the blue does (especially on skin), you can tone down your reds in these shots, and balance them to something that will look rather natural and probably better.

Some dancers wear a nice blue belt that is saturated enough to still look acceptable in this lighting.
this should help make the shots even nicer once reds are reduced and channels balanced.

These were made fast (very) and from a screen grab of your Vimeo..
Didn't try to match them either. Also, as mentioned, I'm not sure if its ungraded or if I'm grading a bad grade...
This is primary corrections - no masks, no qualifying, no complex color space manipulations or channel separation. I think you can see what i mean. wouldn't be that bad to have it look mostly like this, then dip to blue sometimes.
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 17.53.31.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 17.35.38.png

You can key frame grades where blue light comes on for a quick instance.

hope this helped.

hector.

Thanks Hector, it sound fanny. What you have done? Lowering red only? I will try, but I think if I low the red i must to increase the gama and result very bed grain, but I'll try

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm

If they had every strong lights there then there is nothing wrong with footage being "very" red or blue. Your camera probably exaggerated it (as they tend to do so), but you don't want to make dancers' costumes pure white as this is not how they looked like during performance (with such a strong lights).
Try to remember how it looked as neutral is always a good start (well at least for me) for further adjustments. You don't want to make it flat, like there would be no strong lights at all.

Hectors' version looks quite good, maybe bit not enough saturated to my taste.

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Something like that?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Yep, but this is your decision :)

Renato Zanardo

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes I know :) I think I wanna let a bit red. Anyway in full screen the grain looks good, but only when it is in stop mode. Moreover this is a Panasonic 171 footage; is HD not FHD, the other footages made with Panasonic Redback FHD

Return to DaVinci Resolve