Davinci Resolve in Linux Documentation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Boyd Ako

Davinci Resolve in Linux Documentation

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 am

Anybody know where I can find the Linux Documentation? I'm trying to figure out what's involved in setting up the Resolve server.

If a client with a dongle connects to the server, does the server need a dongle as well?

Is the rendering done via CPU or GPU? If the server only does GPU, does it work well with multiple GPUs?

How are the files managed? Does the user need to upload the clips to the server before they can connect to the server and start working with them?

Does the server just do rendering?
Mac OS Sierra (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB/Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB)
Tripod Rig: Sony A6000 -1080I HDMI-> Atomos Ninja 2 (ProRes LT 29.97FPS)
Mobile Monopod Rig: Sony A7s -1080I HDMI-> Atomos Ninja Assassin (ProRes LT 29.97FPS)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Resolve in Linux Documentation

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

It depends on what you mean by "server".

The typical usage would imply a remote database server.

But it sounds like you are looking to use the Linux system for remote rendering.

If you want the Linux system to do remote rendering, it needs to be a full up Resolve system, and it needs to have shared storage access with the systems sending it the render project and shared PostgreSQL database access with the systems sending it render projects. If you need Resolve Studio level support (like the use of multiple GPUs), the Linux system would need a license dongle. Rendering will utilize both CPU and GPU resources. How much of each depends on source and render file formats and what sort of grading and sizing operations are being done.

Additional details about Remote Rendering are in the current Resolve 14 August 2017 Beta manual starting on page 1232.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/manual ... Manual.pdf

Note that Linux ProRes rendering is only available with an Advanced Panel license dongle which is only available with the purchase of a Resolve Advanced Panel set.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Boyd Ako

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It depends on what you mean by "server".

The typical usage would imply a remote database server.

But it sounds like you are looking to use the Linux system for remote rendering.

If you want the Linux system to do remote rendering, it needs to be a full up Resolve system, and it needs to have shared storage access with the systems sending it the render project and shared PostgreSQL database access with the systems sending it render projects. If you need Resolve Studio level support (like the use of multiple GPUs), the Linux system would need a license dongle. Rendering will utilize both CPU and GPU resources. How much of each depends on source and render file formats and what sort of grading and sizing operations are being done.

Additional details about Remote Rendering are in the current Resolve 14 August 2017 Beta manual starting on page 1232.

..../DaVinci_Resolve_14_Reference_Manual.pdf

Note that Linux ProRes rendering is only available with an Advanced Panel license dongle which is only available with the purchase of a Resolve Advanced Panel set.

Thank you for the awesome reply. That manual was exactly what I was looking for. The ones I came across weren't as detailed in some of the areas that I was looking in.

So, from my understanding the DB just manages user and clip kind of information. I need to setup up something like iSCSI to get the remote rendering thing to work to transfer the clips from the user workstation to the server for some sort of collaborative editing to work on the same project. Using Samba/CIFS/SMB may be too slow.

Sorry, in short I should have stated my goal. Which is solving the setup so that we put the clips in one place for multiple users to jump in and edit different parts of the project at the same time. Then render it on a machine built to render quickly.
Mac OS Sierra (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB/Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB)
Tripod Rig: Sony A6000 -1080I HDMI-> Atomos Ninja 2 (ProRes LT 29.97FPS)
Mobile Monopod Rig: Sony A7s -1080I HDMI-> Atomos Ninja Assassin (ProRes LT 29.97FPS)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 pm

The normal way to use Remote Rendering would be to have all systems on shared storage, i.e. a SAN.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve