Is Resolve 14 working?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Neil Hodgkinson

Is Resolve 14 working?

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

I downloaded Resolve 14 Studio Beta to try the new program. Opened a new project and pulled a bunch of 4K raw Ursa Mini clips in but to my surprise they were struggling to play in the time line and all my fans were suddenly at full belt. I pulled open the Task manager and 95% of my CPU was being used!

So I removed all the clips from my time line and still 95% of my CPU was in use.

I closed the program, opened my Resource Manager then started up Resolve again and watched as the program opened. By the time the Projects window was up all 6 real and all 6 virtual cores were at 95%. In fact they all hit 95% before the projects window had come up.

Windows 10, i7 4930K 3.4GHz. 32GB ram GTX 1070.

I pulled up GPU-Z and watched the GPU too but this didn’t move, as you’d expect. Also no memory or disk usage to mention, just all the cores going like the clappers.

I did a search but can’t seem to find anyone else with this issue; do you know what could be wrong? I can’t practically open a project and start working when there's no CPU left to actually play or edit a clip.

Any help appreciated.

I sent this to BM support at the end of May and got this reply:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The behaviour only seems to occur with the second release of the beta which would indicate that it is something within that release.

If I receive any feedback on the matter I will inform you.
In the mean time I would recommend regularly checking the support page of our website for any future release of the beta.

That was the end of May so I had a look at the downloads part of the BM website today and it still says “DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio Public Beta”. How can I tell what release of the Beta this is? and has anyone else out there had this problem or know of this problem and know if Resolve 14 is working yet?

Hector Berrebi

Re: Is Resolve 14 working?

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Neil Hodgkinson wrote:
That was the end of May so I had a look at the downloads part of the BM website today and it still says “DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio Public Beta”. How can I tell what release of the Beta this is? and has anyone else out there had this problem or know of this problem and know if Resolve 14 is working yet?

Current release of Beta is 7.
about 4-5 versions later than the one you used in May.

I just delivered a second episode I'm correcting on Beta 14 v6.
Maybe not 4K RAW but 3 shifts without a single crash :)

YMMV but seems light years steadier than first releases.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Neil Hodgkinson

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm

That's great news, thanks Hector I'll check it out.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Officially begun using 14 for clients this week. So far so good, had a full day session yesterday with renders and it was rock solid.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

David Coleman

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Neil, I hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question of my own. I bought the 12.5.6 studio version in April after I kicked the tires on 14 beta and liked it. I was hoping the official release of 14 would have happened by now because I'm on the verge of beginning an important project that would really benefit from the new tools 14 has to offer.

So here's my questions: should I stay on 12.5 for this project relying on its stability, or should I take the chance and upgrade to 14 beta 7? If I have problems, what is involved in reverting to 12.5.6 on the same system?

I am an empty vessel for your wisdom.

MacOS Sierra
iMac 5K 2017
4.2 GHz , 32 GB 2400MHz DDR4
GPU Radeon Pro 580 8GB

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:25 pm

David Coleman wrote:So here's my questions: should I stay on 12.5 for this project relying on its stability, or should I take the chance and upgrade to 14 beta 7? If I have problems, what is involved in reverting to 12.5.6 on the same system?

IMHO, I think b7 is stable enough for professional production, and if you need a very specific tool that is not available on 12, such as the face refinement tool or the stuck pixel fixer, I think you should take the leap.

Where I'm getting some inconsistent behavior is actually with some of the audio channels, and I do feel as if Blackmagic still has a bit more to go with the Fairlight component of the app. I'll give you a practical example, I am working on a commercial and I received an updated audio soundtrack to place in the timeline. For some reason, even though the new audio track was in place, and the old audio track had been disabled and muted, I was still only hearing the old audio track. Perhaps it was user error, but my solution was to delete the old audio track from the timeline completely, create a brand new audio channel and place the new audio file in it. After I did that, everything worked as expected.

As far as the color grading portion of Resolve, it's been rock solid so far, although I did have a spinning beach ball happen once when I was tweaking the face refinement tool. It hasn't happened since, but the #1 advice with beta software is to save often, and export a .drp at the end of each day just in case.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Klaus Schmidt

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Dear all

Excuse me, but I'm quite frustrated after trying the free version of the 14 beta 6 and 7. Since beta 6 Resolve 14 started to crash in the media tab, when I click on one of my hard disk drives to put clips into the media pool. Strangely enough, that's only happening with my d-drive, but not with the others (I have 1 SSD as a C-drive and 3 different hard disks in my PC).
I had hoped, that beta 7 would improve, but it didn't. As a test, I returned to a previous beta: This still works fine. Unfortunately all my (small test-) projects vansihed by this though...

Since today, I have a new graphics card in my PC (a 1080 Ti), in order to work with 4k files. Resolve 14 beta 7 now crashes even when I try to put a number of 4k (4096 x 2160 Canon Raw Lite) clips in the media pool. About 20 clips seem to be ok, but if I add more, Resolves crashes.
Now I tried to work with fewer clips, which worked for the media pool. However, as soon as I try to drag them into a timeline on Edit, Resolve crashes again.

My computer works stable with any application except Resolve 14 beta.
I don't know if the beta version automatically sends data to Blackmagic?
Or is there a way I can send crash data to Blackmagic?
Can anybody please help?

Cheers,
Klaus

Klaus Schmidt

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 pm

... and some more I forgot: Any time I switch my external sound interface (an RME Fireface UC USB interface) on or off while Resolve 14 beta is running, Resolve crashes without a warning.

Can this please be fixed in an upcoming beta version?
It is really dangerous for me, since sometimes I forget to switch the interface on before I start resolve, and if I switch it on later, all work done in Resolve is gone...

Cheers,
Klaus

Chuck Hawks

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm in the same boat as you Klaus. 14b.6 & 7 have been consistent in crashing without warning and so frequently it's all but unusable for me as well. I too am using a 1080Ti.

And I made the mistake of setting the option to open the last project when starting the program, so now I can't even get into Resolve - it crashes before it even presents a menu / just after the splash screen - every single time.

I like the prospect new features of 14 but can't trust it to even play with, much less use on a professional project. I guess it's time to ditch 14 and use 12.5 until the code is halfway reliable. A shame, really. The times I've had it working for more than a few minutes, I really have liked it.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks
Old dog learning new tricks
On-High Media & rEvolution Performance

Klaus Schmidt

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Chuck, I dumped 14 as well yesterday and returned to 12.5. Today, however, I tried the beta 8, which has just come out. And my d-drive now works fine as it used to with 12.5 and the betas before 6&7 :D

The problem with the sound interface stays though: As soon as I switch it on, Resolve crashes. Yeah, I could turn on the sound interface before starting Resolve, but I don't always remember that. And there are applications out there that don't crash that way...

But nevertheless, I'm now hoping that beta 8 is much more stable than 6&7!

Cheers,
Klaus

Return to DaVinci Resolve