GPU Memory is Full

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joseph Robba

GPU Memory is Full

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm fairly new to using Resolve, and I've yet to run into this issue yet, but I'm currently having a problem where Resolve will not render or display video, and it continues to return the message to me, GPU memory is Full. I have 5 nodes and am using motion blur, 2 nodes with qualifiers and masks, no tracking. Some tactics that I've already tried are turning on Proxy Mode to both half and quarter resolution, setting the render cache to smart, and disabling "Use GPU for Red Debayer" and "Use Display GPU for Compute"

The project I'm currently in literally has one shot that I'm trying to color correct. It is a UHD, XAVC Mpeg 4 clip, shot in UHD on the Sony FS5. I've got to imagine that Resolve has to be able to handle a timeline full of clips, so having 1 clip causing me this many issues seems weird. My macpro is completely maxed out, here are the specs.

Davinci Resolve 12.5
OSX10.12.6
MacPro 12 Core 2.7GHz Intel Xeon E5
4X16,64GB RAM
2 - AMD FirePro D700 6144MB Graphics Cards

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Robba

Re: GPU Memory is Full

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Just an update, I've tried resetting the PRAM to clear the GPU, but still getting the same error code.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Weird. I guess make sure that you have your preferences set to use OpenCL?

I graded a 4K project shot on an F5 on a 2Gb GPU and, although it was slow, it worked.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 pm

What's your timeline resolution?

Can you provide a project export .drp for us to look at?

What version of Resolve 12.5 are you using, as shown in the About DaVinci Resolve menu?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Marc Poirier

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 am

So far, I've sort of narrowed down this issue to graphic files ... Dwaine pointed out to me that I was using "non standard" graphic size.. (PNG, 246x241, logo)

I hope that they will see this as a bug, as any other editing software will accept these files without crashing.

Marc.
Marc Poirier, Content Producer | Mach1 Studio
System info | AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core | 64 Gigs Ram | RTX 3090 24gigs VRam | M.2 1TB System Drive | M.2 2TB video/cache drive | 8 TB USB C External Video Drive

Return to DaVinci Resolve