RIP Final Cut Pro 7, Long Live DaVinci Resolve!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't know if any of you saw the news: http://nofilmschool.com/2017/08/death-comes-final-cut-7

That's right, Final Cut Pro 7 Will Not Open in MacOS High Sierra.

Not that I use Final Cut Pro 7 anymore. I switched to Adobe Premiere Pro around 2011, but still hung in with FCP until 2012 due to collaborating with friends and colleagues. By end of 2012, I had completely adopted to Premiere Pro. In 2015 I started toying with DaVinci Resolve for editing. In 2016, with 12.5, I started editing in Resolve more and more.

In 2017, I've practically switched to DaVinci Resolve completely. Especially with the 14 Beta. However, I keep Premiere in case I need to collaborate with others. And, there are plenty of Premiere users still out there.

Either way, this is a great hole for Blackmagic Design to sweep in and fill. I hope they get 14 out of Beta and released soon.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Richard Dean

Re: RIP Final Cut Pro 7, Long Live DaVinci Resolve!

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 12:44 am

Even though I don't use FCP7 any longer I still can imagine having to open an old project to revise it one day - I have done that before and then XML into resolve for revisions.

I have hundred of projects in FCP7 and it I have no idea which may one day require revisions.

I also use FCP7 to capture dv and HDV.

That being said I love editing and grading in Resolve!

Perhaps someone needs to Create on online portal that takes

FCP7 project files and returns an XML.

timbutt2

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 am

Richard Dean wrote:Even though I don't use FCP7 any longer I still can imagine having to open an old project to revise it one day - I have done that before and then XML into resolve for revisions.

I have hundred of projects in FCP7 and it I have no idea which may one day require revisions.

I also use FCP7 to capture dv and HDV.

That being said I love editing and grading in Resolve!

Perhaps someone needs to Create on online portal that takes

FCP7 project files and returns an XML.

I spent some time a few years back exporting XML from every FCP7 project that I have had. I knew well enough that I needed to future proof the projects. The only thing lost is color grades done in either Color or FCP7. So those projects need to be regraded.

Other than the grades that were lost with XML export was also some plug-ins. At least two projects had that issue. I had to use After Effects to recreate the plug-in effect.

Either way, most of my old projects are safe right now. I can open them all in FCP7 until I update sure, but they can also be opened in Premiere Pro. One day I may take the time to re-grade the projects. For the most part I have ProRes 422 HQ master exports of all the projects as well.

Last time I had to revise an old FCP project for a client was in 2012. It was a project from 2009. That's when I realized it was a good idea to export all the projects to XML and open in Premiere.

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 am

Richard Dean, lowly iMovie will invest HDV files and then you can export them ad ProRes from iMovie. I did this successfully recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 am

It died for me in a swift instance on on June 21, 2011, 10 minutes after I opened FCPX...

once in a while I watch this (excellent) video and remember exactly how I felt that night. Probably the only software ever to almost squeeze a tear out of me :)

Eventually however... not missed.

Except for 3D Scopes in Color. I guess I'll forever miss these
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 am

In all fairness, individuals who are still clinging to FCP 7 aren't likely to be jumping on High Sierra any time soon, but I get the point.

Although Resolve is my NLE of choice (with Premiere being second), my understanding is that FCPX really has evolved and become a powerful and feature-rich NLE. It's too bad that the way Apple mishandled the release of FCPX has made people suspicious of it to this day.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 am

Thats what they said about the still unsurpassed final cut server that it would not open anymore after lion.
Have it running nicely in Sierra as a cluster on multiple machines. Had to hack the crap out of it but running fine on same postgresql database servers as Davinci Resolve
Will do the same for FCP likely, nobody will tell me what to run or not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(And the FCPX crap went directly in the thrashcan. The real one not the macpro. Went all in on Resolve, after quickly skimming premiere due to lack of alternatives that i liked enough, before Resolve editing came out and it fits like a gloooooooove)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 am

Hi there,

Couldn't remain mute on a topic about what really got me deeper into editing.

Now, around 20 years later, I also still have a FCP 7.0.3 version which I don't really use anymore, except for ingesting potential tapes (but I know I could make it with something else).

When I decided to entirely switch to Resolve (r12) - and forced myself not to come back to FCP even when facing a problem I knew I could fix with it -, I was not quite sure Resolve could make it for multicams I often edit. Now that I've been making some for months on Resolve, I know that just a tiny function is missing compared to FCP7.

Now, as Glenn writes, Apple won't tell me what I can use or not, and surely most of mac users here around neither. I also kept Motion, Live Type, Soundtrack Pro and DVDSP... and also the old QMaster and Compressor which made good encoding clusters. For almost no use (1% in a year except Motion maybe), but I know it's here around.
Anyways, as a lot of pro macusers, given the softwares I wrote about just above, you can easily imagine I have a pre ElCap bootable SSD (ML actually) where I'm sure that anything would launch...
So what Apple declares...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 am

Sam Steti wrote:.
So what Apple declares...

Its not just that Sam.

Bug fixing, accumulating errors caused by different hardware drivers, Codec support, frame-rates, even bit depth, tools updating to more modern functionality, new protocols, etc'

EOL software are eventually a sad place, especially the ones we loved.

So sure.. if you had important FCP7 projects It made some sense to keep it, but only long enough to convert these project to something more future-proof and move on.

Except maybe for nostalgia, I don't see why I'd want a functioning software that isn't supported, in an industry where constant support is critical, and offers little true advantage..

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 am

Hey, wake up, FCP7 has been discontinued for a while now...
Those who have kept it somewhere on a HD are fully aware of what eol software and obsolescence dangers mean, and they know what they're doing imho. For example, everything you write about from "bug fixing" to the end is ultra known and taken into account by anyone still owning FCP7 now... Owning it is different than relying on it.
If any job/project done on FCP7 in the first place was supposed to be resurrected for any reason, any pro would have converted it to its current NLE (at least I hope hehehehehe)
Except maybe for nostalgia, I don't see why I'd want a functioning software that isn't supported, in an industry where constant support is critical, and offers little true advantage..
Those I know who keep it usually do it for plug-ins they didn't find equivalence for, or to have something left on which they've been working for ages in case of... anything (it's a question of peace of mind).

I personally kept it while my switch to Resolve (let's say during one year, 3-4 years ago). Now that I know that I'm perfectly able to find any function I want in Resolve, it's true I could thrash FCP7. I don't do it because the HD it is on is dedicated to oldies anyways, but in no way it is made to keep old formatted projects.

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey, wake up, FCP7 has been discontinued for a while now...
Those who have kept it somewhere on a HD are fully aware of what eol software and obsolescence dangers mean, and they know what they're doing imho. For example, everything you write about from "bug fixing" to the end is ultra known and taken into account by anyone still owning FCP7 now... Owning it is different than relying on it.

If i wasn't clear from my previous answer, I was merely stating my opinion on it from my narrow single user perspective.

I agree I maybe used broad strokes :)

There are numerous reasons different users would chose to stay (or don't even have that choice) on an EOL app. Any of these reason would probably be legitimate enough for me to shut my mouth about it :D

At least one of my larger consulting clients still uses FCP7 today after a past large scale, full system transitions that cost them too much to just dump it and move on.

Eventually, even someone stating he just likes it better and feels more confident using it is legitimate.

So..
yeah.. maybe had a bit of steam left from that damn NAB 2011 Hijacked Supermeet that needed venting. And maybe I always felt comfortable switching tools.

I didn't mean to pass judgment in what I wrote, if it came across that way then i'm sorry.

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am

No don't be sorry, I am actually (reading again, my "wake up" was a bit rough)
You know, it's my own little opinion as well, but the real point/difference is that your client is still using it, maybe daily, I won't ever reckon that. I was just talking about not totally dumping what's still working after all, which is a big difference with "sparing it on a good old HD you hardly/never boot on" : the main one is that this 2nd group understood the need to switch in the same time...

When Apple messed up their communication about FCPX and first released a sort of beta with no aaf, multicam aso. with no real roadmap, I decided it was time to seriously not trust the company anymore for pro apps. Remaining the OSX fan I had been was not a problem, but being chained to their choices in the field of my professional applications was not bearable.
I considered every serious options. Avid MC ? Too philosophically remote for me; Premiere ? quitting Apple for Adobe was a irrelevant joke; Lightworks ? Hmmm, I was not aware enough to jump to it, too risky for me; etc etc...
Resolve ? Well, BMD showed (and still do) some motivations to add tons of editing features, and I had been using it anyway, and they seemed to listen to customers, I don't regret my choice.
So you see switching was not a problem (more, it was urgent), but this ML SSD doesn't have to be erased...

Edit : btw, the statement and title of the OP are a bit off the road for me for these reasons. I think a lot of previous FCP7 users have switched now, to Resolve or Premiere mainly. BMD won't recover a lot now, for they have yet these 2-3 past years...
Long Live DaVinci Resolve anyway ;)

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Sam Steti wrote:When Apple messed up their communication about FCPX and first released a sort of beta with no aaf, multicam aso. with no real roadmap, I decided it was time to seriously not trust the company anymore for pro apps.

I was burnt once with Shake (and the bizarre "Project Phenomenon" statement that came with its execution).
Still somehow believed they will pull out no less than a wonder with the next FCP... (even when a day before the event I was told by trusted sources it will suck terribly)... Then what they did to the MacPro, to QT...

However, I guess had a bit more mileage in post, been using Avid MC since the 90s and teaching Avid/FCP/PP for quite a while then. Decided to never have a favorite tool again. Been constantly using several systems since, Switching on a weekly base Mostly Resolve, Avid and PP but I learned to use and deeply appreciate many things in FCPX too.

Been looking into other tools as well (Hitfilm, Lightworks, Edius) But lack of significant enough user base makes it harder to justify the time it takes to master.

I think in many things Resolve managed to become that FCP8 we never got (and much more), I see it in numerous subtleties across the software.

Resolve (and BMD) definitely make the decision not to have a favorite tool quite hard :)

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:Been looking into other tools as well (Hitfilm, Lightworks, Edius) But lack of significant enough user base makes it harder to justify the time it takes to master.
Correct, same here.

I think in many things Resolve managed to become that FCP8 we never got (and much more), I see it in numerous subtleties across the software.
I totally second that.
Resolve (and BMD) definitely make the decision not to have a favorite tool quite hard :)
Sure :lol: . I personally have a favorite tool again since Resolve 9.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Its funny that sometimes you keep stuff not because you necesarily want to keep working with it, or even for loading old project, which indeed you should have converted by now, but it can be used in the most surpricing ways.
I am not even going to explain why i revived and kept a smooth running final cut server farm, as there is just nothing that atm can do what i do with it. But FCP7 was different. I did want to get rid of it. But one of the key things was, i used it as a "washing" machine for cross application stuff. XML's AAF,s etc from Premiere, resolve etc where all crap on the audio side, and sometimes (less so) even on the video side. I washed them via FCP7 and straight into Protools.
I wrote several post about it in the past, where me and others where hair-pulling to get multitrack multichannel audio properly with the right channel layout or "at all" out of resolve/premiere etc into protools.
The problem was so bad there is actualy a dedicated tool just for doing this since a few years (AA translator, the ultimate swiss army knife and great developers).
And with every new point release of any of these applications, something broke again in the audio transfer part.

So obvioulsy i am stoked BM has gone the Fairlight route. Once that is stabilised and gains its full potential , it will be massive. Will have to see still how it fairs on the exchange side when i will try to bring all that wonderful stuff into an other DAW , but thats for much later to figure out. The better fairlight becomes the less of a problem taking stuff out becomes, but will still be very important in all but the smallest jobs. The future looks great so far.

edit: one thing that has changed since fairlight and may have not even been noticed by most users and may look small but is huge for me, is that in the old resolves, if you dropped a 10 channel audio (or video with 10 audio channels attached) on a 2 channel track (eg to facilitate the editing process), then changed after a long edit the track format to 10 , you lost 8 tracks. You had to tediously remove and replace the clip(s) on the timeline.
Now you just change the track to 10 and you have 10 channels of audio. So it has become dynamic !!
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Its funny that sometimes you keep stuff not because you necesarily want to keep working with it, or even for loading old project, which indeed you should have converted by now, but it can be used in the most surpricing ways.
Haha, no kidding !
I used it as a wash-machine too before I found stable workflows... I still ingest tapes with it, though I surely could with something else if I had looked for.
I also used its ultra basic default deflicker, as there is no default one in Resolve

Arun Ezilmanivannan

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

As everything is born with an expiry date this has also had one and we witnessed it, like everyone i had too started my NLE journey in FInal Cut Pro 2 till 7.0.3, and then switched to FCPX.

FCP X 10.1 was like an island upon release only option was an export for a movie file and you cannot export you timelines then xml came and no software recognized it before 2013 version of any software, then we got Autodesk smoke 2013 with edit feature and support for importing timelines, DaVinciResolve 8 did not have the support then, and Resolve 9 was updated VIOLA! came the support to read timelines from 10.1 and they did not stop at that, they also gave another support for porting timelines to other NLE available in the industry, this was happening with automatic duck and they also one day closed shop.

Eventually I started doing many of the projects, exploring Davinci Resolve, and the rest is history ....

FCP 7.0.3 no support in high sierra is sad, but Apple did come up with FCP X most of the old Editors rejected it. Ah, coming to think of that someday, may be any day something like this will also happen to AVID, with the things happening in their company.

So, it is high time we adapt ourselves to the new generation of NLE's available in the market instead of fighting or rejecting it.
Thanks and Regards
Arun EM
editor.emarun@gmail.com

iMac 27 inch, a windows laptop with RTX2060, a windows desktop with RTX2080ti and Amd ryzen 3900x

timbutt2

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Sam Steti wrote:If any job/project done on FCP7 in the first place was supposed to be resurrected for any reason, any pro would have converted it to its current NLE (at least I hope hehehehehe)

True, that's why when I just checked my hard drives last night I only found projects from High School not converted to PPro. And of those most were the final edits off DV tapes so that I could upload them to Vimeo.

I found one or two projects from Freshman year of college that had the edits, but no media. I'd have to re-capture the tapes. I don't have a tape deck to do that. There was also one project from Junior year that I shot on a HDV tape camera that didn't have the media files. Again, would have to re-capture that footage via tape deck. For those projects I have doubts that I would be able to do so without issue with timing. Those projects were meaningless.

So it's the major projects that I see in 2013 I spent a weekend exporting XMLs and importing into PPro. As you said, any pro would have already converted those projects to a current NLE.

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pm

It's my understanding that 32bit apps and applications will no longer run on macOS High Sierra nor on iOS 11. Looks like Excel needs to be upgraded on my iMac as I'm still on a 32bit version and use it almost daily! Some of my most used iOS apps are going to stop functioning too.

Some vendors must be happy that Apple is forcing upgrades where available and new purchases where existing vendors just don't seem to care their apps won't run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 pm

well if thats the case looks like i will be staying on siera for a few years. no problem. My key business laptop is still on yosemite and all good there as well. High/low Sierra is just to iphonify your server anyway. who need that crap.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:It's my understanding that 32bit apps and applications will no longer run on macOS High Sierra nor on iOS 11.

Apparently at WWDC Apple only announced that 32bit applications would be phased out of the Mac App Store in January 2018 (i.e. all new application submissions will have to be 64bit), but that OS X.13 High Sierra will still support 32bit applications.

WWDC 2018 will most likely confirm if OS X.14 will only support 64bit applications.

And yes, it appears iOS 11 won't run 32bit applications. I have a few applications that cause iOS 10.3.3 to pull up an alert notifying me of that fact.
Last edited by Reynaud Venter on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:High/low Sierra is just to iphonify your server anyway. who need that crap.
+200

timbutt2

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:It's my understanding that 32bit apps and applications will no longer run on macOS High Sierra nor on iOS 11. Looks like Excel needs to be upgraded on my iMac as I'm still on a 32bit version and use it almost daily! Some of my most used iOS apps are going to stop functioning too.

Some vendors must be happy that Apple is forcing upgrades where available and new purchases where existing vendors just don't seem to care their apps won't run.

Oh crap! Excel and Word won't work anymore for me that means. I still am running Office 2011. I haven't seen any reason to upgrade. Although, I use Numbers and Pages now instead. So I may just get rid of Microsoft Office and go completely to Apple's iWork. Luckily you can open Word and Excel documents in Pages and Numbers.

JPOwens

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Sam Steti wrote: I still ingest tapes with it, though I surely could with something else if I had looked for.

Recently pulled in about 250 hours of HDCam and vintage BetacamSP using BMD Media Express. Way simpler and far more tolerant than FCP7 with respect to code breaks and so on.

And coached an indie producer through how to do a MediaManage to prep an incoming short that he had cut... on FCP7.... yesterday.

"Hey, SIRI, can you cut, grade and export that back-burner project that I've been procrastinating?"

>>>> Sure, would you like it finished in the style of Abrams, Spielberg or Soderbergh?

Oh, surprise me. The way Jarvis did.

jPo, CSI

Sam Steti

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:29 pm

JPOwens wrote:"Hey, SIRI, can you cut, grade and export that back-burner project that I've been procrastinating?"

>>>> Sure, would you like it finished in the style of Abrams, Spielberg or Soderbergh?

Oh, surprise me. The way Jarvis did.

>>>> Sorry JP, Apple HAL 13000 prevents me to do that for it may be unsafe...

:mrgreen:

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 am

Glenn, I always get on the latest version, but this time it's not so simple. The carrot is that I'd like the new file system for the iMac, but the stick is the cost of application upgrades or no longer being able to use an application period.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am

Careful before you take the plunge! Have a look at this:
https://bombich.com/blog/2017/07/07/pon ... 6fdd4abdcd

I suppose the guy knows what he's talking about, nothing is closer to the filesystem than a cloning software.

And the worst thing is that Apple is forcing it upon us if our system drive is not a spinning platter any more.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 am

If you're running a device with iOS 10.3 installed then you're already using APFS daily, as APFS is the default file system, which was automatically upgraded when upgrading from previous iOS versions.

79% of the over 1 billion iOS devices now run iOS 10.3 without issue, which is a pretty good indicator and illustrates that the file system is at least usable. Performance is certainly much improved over previous versions iOS on the same hardware.

There's a good reason Apple abandoned integration with ZFS, and while APFS is far from perfect, APFS is an improvement over HFS+, at least on paper. It we can at least get rid of the beachball, it would be an improvement.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06 ... le-system/
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:45 am

rick.lang wrote:Glenn, I always get on the latest version, but this time it's not so simple. The carrot is that I'd like the new file system for the iMac, but the stick is the cost of application upgrades or no longer being able to use an application period.

I do not see that personaly. A new 'unproven' filesystem , will not improve my productivity in any way compared to what i have now. (actualy it might seriously endanger it if things prove to not be as shiny on that filesystem front on the longer run). The inability to use some of my current productivity improving apps , can however definitely be a big negative.
So there has to be a HUMONGOUS carrot for this balance to swing the other way.
The sole and absolutely sole reason i jumped on Sierra (only for my main workstation) was that Resolve 14 does not run on yosemite anymore. But the Resolve 14 carrot was so large i took the bait (was worth it) and spend serious time on dealing with al the Sierra downsides it caused , one of which about a month cut of my life expectancy due to extra development time to circumvent a serious timing bug with sierra that cause havoc. Way too specific to discuss here, but just an example). And other bad stuff i just live with and dedicate this workstation to Resolve.

Almost every OS upgrade sofar brought with it a decline is quality and stability of some core OS components , unnoticed by your average iphone gamer youtube user, but serious headaches for builders/developers/professionals. Apple core rot is a real thing. The more pretty the outside the more broken the inside. If its core network protocols or authentication mechanismes breaking down (because apple thinks in its vanity it can be improved) , raid drivers broken down, clustering tools removed, finder madness and file corruptions , i can go on and on ,on the virtues of apples so called "upgrades", that you have to swallow.

No OS upgrade itself is worth it. Its all about what it means for your productivity and how that will improve. If it does not , dont go there. If it does , even with some pain, go for it.
If you have more workstations/servers, you can pick and choose as i do, what to install/upgrade to where very selectively.

But if you like shiny blnky toys, go for it ;-) I will be a bit more carefull and go when i think it is absolutely worth it.

edit : and from a guy working in IT for close to 30 years now a small warning. Bevery very very carefull and wary with any new filesystem !!!!. I have been there on massive scales when things go sideways. There is no golden filesystem. They each have their good and there extremely ******* side. The difference is that when things go bad with a new filesystem, who is going to help you when your google search turns up zero hits on your issue ??? Apple ?? <insert hysterious lauchging sounds and head banging the table here >

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 am

Why then Sierra and not El Capitan?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 am

Uli Plank wrote:Why then Sierra and not El Capitan?

Carefull investigation ;-) Same as always. If you take a step forward you can re-evaluate your endpoint based on pros and cons and effort.
And resolve's behavior on both on my specific setup. (of course i tested both very thouroughly).
In the end Nvidia drivers tipped it in favor of Sierra.
El Crapitan gave zero carrots, only pain ;-)

edit : and i forgot, one of my customers bought one of my products and started to run it on Sierra. So i had to develop and test for it anyway. Thats where i lost this one month of my life ;-)

Arun Ezilmanivannan

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 pm

we could always install another version of MAC OS X onto a new external drive then boot from there check out the file system the stability of Resolve and then upgrade the internal drive.

i am suggesting this since i did this 5 days back to an iMac which was running Sierra 10.12.6 crashed and just showed me the "other user" to login and my user just vanished, it just went into recovery mode and asked me to re install the OS, I did not know if my project files were still in that drive, so i did not reinstall the OS

Instead I did install the same version of the MAC OS X onto an external drive the same version downloaded form the app store and use option while system startup then i did boot up from the external drive and my internal Macintosh HD mounted on the desktop with all my files intact, then i copied the entire contents to a new attached storage, reinstalled the os and back on track doing the projects.

P.S Time machine backup is always better but since all the ports in the system was full i encountered this problem.
Thanks and Regards
Arun EM
editor.emarun@gmail.com

iMac 27 inch, a windows laptop with RTX2060, a windows desktop with RTX2080ti and Amd ryzen 3900x

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Arun, that's the plan. I have an external bootable system for testing the macOS High Sierra and both versions of Resolve.

Glenn, I spent close to 35 years in IT beginning as a programmer and ending as a middle manager. Best advice I can offer: middle management is like walking into quicksand, be very careful and make no assumptions but verify everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:

Carefull investigation ;-) Same as always. If you take a step forward you can re-evaluate your endpoint based on pros and cons and effort.
And resolve's behavior on both on my specific setup. (of course i tested both very thouroughly).
El Crapitan gave zero carrots, only pain ;-))

I can understand Sierra's cons for the 10xx series requirement, but I see you have 2 x 980 ti like me, therefore I confess I don't see other points

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Sam Steti wrote:
Glenn Venghaus wrote:

El Crapitan gave zero carrots, only pain ;-))

I can understand Sierra's cons for the 10xx series requirement, but I see you have 2 x 980 ti like me, therefore I confess I don't see other points

No problem, not trying to convince anyone. Just telling you my experiences, which may for many reasons / personal criteria be different then yours. Diving deeper is even more polluting this thread ;-)
Does also not mean i am happy with Sierra, dont get me wrong.

I think the main message is , just test and evaluate before you jump into a higher OS . If there are enough pros and the cons you can live with or bypass, then go for it.

edit: forgot to adress your specific nvidia driver related comment. I seriously overclock both cards (next to the CPU) by manualy fine tuning and flashing the bios (seriously water/air cooled case). On El Crapitan the drivers kept dying on me way earlier and more random (more problematic) then on Sierra, moreso even while on Resolve. Also with same OC was net slower.
On Sierra i run the max (minus a little bit) OC now super stable since the beginning and with R14 its chewing through material like butter. But was only one of the factors, but a very important one. (scores are in the candle test thread on mixinglight)

timbutt2

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 am

And, Blackmagic Design to the rescue with a video!

Bill Russell

PostThu May 17, 2018 4:22 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Will do the same for FCP likely, nobody will tell me what to run or not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Plus one! Plus one! This user would ever be your admirer were you to concoct an FCP7 hack for High Sierra!

I got as far as duping a copy of ProKit.frameworks from el Capitan into High Sierra where FCP7 was looking... but of course, then a whole host of other fails blossomed. This is where I simply am not worthy.

Here's the interesting problem. Purchased a new iMac Pro for Davinci, Fusion, AE, FCPX, etc., with the intention of adding a second boot, with Sierra or earlier for access to FCP7. But... iMac Pro won't accept the install (or external boot) of ANY OS other than High Sierra.

Uh oh.

This could be enough to ditch the iMac Pro for a beefed up iMac (sad face, sad sad face), because I have past projects for clients I need to be able to access occasionally, unique fx plug-ins and renders and all -- and yes, even have a current documentary project that came in on FCP7! This is bad.

FCP better truly be incompatible with High Sierra, because if Apple intentionally hobbled it (which they will do to stuff sometimes for various reasons), then time is nigh to curse their name, pierce an Apple VooDoo doll (huh, maybe just a real apple will do in this case), mail in bags of bird poo, etc. etc..

P.S. FYI FCP7 won't run in VMs due to lack of GPU support (VMWare, Parallels, Virtualbox, tried 'em all).

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

Ps it CAN run in a vm, just not the classical way.
I have recently setup an UNRAID server with 2x8 core xeons and 64 gig for all my storage archival needs and it runs dockers and VM’s like a champ AND allows for pci / gpu passthru. Next to a dozen or so dockers and a linux VM with mail/web server, i have a large VM with Sierra and resolve 15 as remote renderer and Qmaster quicktime cluster node and an Nvidia gpu passed thru to it connected to one of my monitors.
Screems like a madman , near native performance. And seeing the assigned 24 threads chew up quicktimes is lovely as well. Dont need FCP anymore but it would run just fine in a setup like this with near native performance compared to bare metal.
The Great thing is you can pass thru anything. Even stuff that is problematic on classical mac. Drop a el cheapo ebay 10gb card in the server and pass it to the mac . If there are no drivers for it (common problem) pass it as a virtual bridge and bingo.
Did that with an el cheapo 4 port 1gb card as well , bonded together and passed thru to the mac.
I am so in love with UNRAID now...

Return to DaVinci Resolve