rampant design motion graphics arrows change to black

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hakim Craddock

rampant design motion graphics arrows change to black

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm

i purchased the rampant designs motion graphics pack which is a bunch of .mov clips all in white. I can't for the lif of me figure out how to change the color of the white arrows or any of the graphics to black using resolve 14 b8. Anyone have any ideas how i can accomplish this?

Marc Wielage

Re: rampant design motion graphics arrows change to black

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 5:26 am

The Rampant graphics stuff is actually pretty good and useful for certain things.

You can change the color of any of that stuff by placing the clip on an upper track (say, V2), then choosing that clip on the color page and changing the lift-gamma-gain knobs. I was able to turn a white arrow to black in 2 seconds. The ProRes 444 files have alpha channels and key very well, pretty much automatically.

The Rampant Transitions are a bit trickier to manage, but they have some tutorials that cover how to use them. They work in pretty much any editing program, including Resolve, but there's a few things you have to do in order to do multiple transitions at one time (like one thing sliding off and another thing sliding on on top of an existing shot).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hakim Craddock

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

when i use the rampant designs stuff as "add" instead of "normal" on the inspector in the edit page because i usually have the arrow pointing to something in a tutorial... I have tried playing with the gamma and lift it usually makes the white arrow disappear instead of turn black. Can you please be more detailed about how you achieved a black graphic. Thank you.

Hakim Craddock

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 3:41 am

okay i finally figured out how to do it..
1. Under edit page in the inspector leave the graphics composite mode as normal instead of changing it to add, which is what i usually do when i need any color besides black.
2. go to color page, select the graphic clip.
3. right click your node work space and add alpha output
4. Link your graphic node to the alpha output
5. select qualifier and select the black background
6. hit the invert button on the selection range in the qualifier
7. turn the gain down to 0.01 across the board
8. finish editing your video!

Marc Wielage

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:when i use the rampant designs stuff as "add" instead of "normal" on the inspector in the edit page because i usually have the arrow pointing to something in a tutorial... I have tried playing with the gamma and lift it usually makes the white arrow disappear instead of turn black. Can you please be more detailed about how you achieved a black graphic. Thank you.

I didn't do that at all.

I just put the arrow graphic on the V2 timeline on the edit page. Composite mode is set to NORMAL. Go to the Color page and select the V2 arrow clip. Turn the gain all the way down -- arrow turns black, background is normal. You can also turn gain up slightly and change the color combinations of the black trackball and the white trackball. It took me less time to do it than it did for me to describe it. Here's 2 arrows at the same time, one white and the other black (on V2 and V3, respectively):

Like a lot of things, there are frequently 3 or 4 different ways to do it, including adding them as an external matte or using an alpha output.

Hakim Craddock

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 3:15 am

You are correct. When composition mode is set to normal and you go to the color tab and turn the gain all the way down, the arrow indeed does turn black. However the minute you press play (resolve 14 b9) you see a black background that does not go away until you add an alpha output and invert it with the selection range tool. see the video i put together below showing exactly what i did and what happens.

looks like i made a mistake on one step. You don't need to hit the invert button on the range selection.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 am

Nope, it works in play for me. This is on a Trashcan Mac and OSX 10.12.6, and pictures move fine in play. I could upload the video, but I'm tied up with work for 2 solid days.

Hakim Craddock

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 7:46 am

from what you see in my video. Did i do anything wrong? Maybe it's just a bug in Resolve than. I did it as you described and i did not get the same results. So it has to be a bug in resolve. clip is 4k mp4.

Not that i don't believe you. But i am not getting the same results using the same settings.

Windows 10, ryzen7 1700, 32gigs ram, gtx970...

Return to DaVinci Resolve