Disable Ripple Delete?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
MrPinkNinja

Disable Ripple Delete?

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Hey guys,

First off sorry if there is already a post about this topic. I'm not quite sure the best way to word what I am looking for that wouldn't be super long. When I am editing a project I delete clips from the timeline occasionally (shocking I know). When I delete the clips, it moves all clips that follow that one up more. That would be fine if I could choose when it does it, but it does it all the time, and when it does that it pulls clips from all levels forward which overwrite other clips that I have on the timeline. Any way that I can keep it from doing this? Thanks.

LouisSomers

Re: Disable Ripple Delete?

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

It can be prevented by using the backspace key instead of the delete key, but I also always forget and often notice the error too late... It is a lot of work to fix all that follows again. This kind of forces me to make more shorter timelines, and makes it difficult to do some fancy transitions.

I'd love to have an extra editing mode that disables any ripple edit altogether.

NickPrice

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am

As well as using the backspace instead of the delete, there are a couple of other things you have to keep in mind. If you don't have 'Linked Selection' on it can move things on different tracks, and keep some things in place. Also if you the 'tracks selectors' unchecked it wont affect those tracks so things can also go out of sync that way. It seems very complicated but once you get used to it, it becomes quite simple. Avid has worked this way for ever.

I use it all the time with in/out points to remove gaps, chop things out, and generally organise my timelines.

cheers
Nick

Marcus Goller

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

You might want to try the "position lock" feature, which keeps the clips in its place, but still allows trimming or deletion of clips
--
CPU: i7-4771
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960

Nick Ruddle

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 7:54 pm

I have found this to be very annoying coming from Premiere.
I think I have found a way to disable it using AutoHotKey (https://autohotkey.com/) on Windows.

I created a little script :

Code: Select all
MsgBox Delete key is disabled in Resolve
Del::
if WinActive("ahk_exe Resolve.exe")
    MsgBox Resolve running!
Else
   Send, {Del}
return

What this does is:
1) Pop up a message box to tell me the script is running, "Delete key is disabled in Resolve"
2) When ever the delete key is pressed it checks to see if a resolve window is active. If so it puts up a messagebox to tell me I'm in Resolve, "Resolve running!" and then DOES NOT send the delete command to resolve.
3) If I'm not in a Resolve window (but it can be running) send the delete key to the window i.e. behave as normally.

The script can be placed in your Startup folder to run on boot. The first message box is to tell me that the script has started ok and is looking out for the delete key.

(The message boxes could be removed - but I like the reminders)

As always - use at your own risk
I hope this helps

PeterMoretti

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Nick, while I'm down with using Backspace, that's VERY COOL. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I realize the intention of this thread is to get away from Ripple Delete, but if anyone wants to use stay Backspace centric, Shift Backspace is another Ripple Delete command.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Peter Cave

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 am

You can also remap the keyboard to suit your working method.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Nick Ruddle

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Peter Cave wrote:You can also remap the keyboard to suit your working method.

But not the Delete key :cry:

Nick Ruddle

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Nick, while I'm down with using Backspace, that's VERY COOL. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I realize the intention of this thread is to get away from Ripple Delete, but if anyone wants to use stay Backspace centric, Shift Backspace is another Ripple Delete command.

Thank you Peter ;)

John Paines

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

The AHK script above could, with small changes, remap "del" to "backspace", so there wouldn't be any wasted keystrokes or relearning. Or it could remap only one keyboard "del" key to backspace, so that the ripple delete function remained with the other "del" key on, say, the numeric pad.

Seems to me current design is actually an asset -- it offers either a ripple or "lift" delete without changing between trim and standard mode. But each to his own...

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm

I will recommend to learn the new keystrokes, if you really are switching software, you will progressively get the new muscle memory.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Peter Cave

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 am

Nick Ruddle wrote:

Interesting.... I can map the delete key, no problem.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

John Paines

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 3:12 am

Peter Cave wrote:Interesting.... I can map the delete key, no problem.

Keyboard behavior in Resolve seems to be different on Windows. Cursor key (next/previous clip) focus is a constant problem -- it often remains in the wrong panel, even while other shortcuts work correctly in the current panel -- and some keys, like DEL, apparently can't be remapped inside Resolve. This sort of thing doesn't appear to happen on Mac. It goes back to at least v12.

Nick Ruddle

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

Peter Cave wrote:
Nick Ruddle wrote:

Interesting.... I can map the delete key, no problem.

Maybe just a windows thing then?

Nick Ruddle

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I will recommend to learn the new keystrokes, if you really are switching software, you will progressively get the new muscle memory.

Some client work has to be done in Premiere - so I use both.

Nick Ruddle

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am

John Paines wrote:The AHK script above could, with small changes, remap "del" to "backspace", so there wouldn't be any wasted keystrokes or relearning. Or it could remap only one keyboard "del" key to backspace, so that the ripple delete function remained with the other "del" key on, say, the numeric pad.

Seems to me current design is actually an asset -- it offers either a ripple or "lift" delete without changing between trim and standard mode. But each to his own...

:)

Nick Ruddle

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

John Paines wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:Interesting.... I can map the delete key, no problem.

Keyboard behavior in Resolve seems to be different on Windows. Cursor key (next/previous clip) focus is a constant problem -- it often remains in the wrong panel, even while other shortcuts work correctly in the current panel -- and some keys, like DEL, apparently can't be remapped inside Resolve. This sort of thing doesn't appear to happen on Mac. It goes back to at least v12.

:D

Curtis Long

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Nick Ruddle wrote:I think I have found a way to disable it using AutoHotKey (https://autohotkey.com/) on Windows.

I created a little script :

Code: Select all
MsgBox Delete key is disabled in Resolve
Del::
if WinActive("ahk_exe Resolve.exe")
    MsgBox Resolve running!
Else
   Send, {Del}
return

This is brilliant! Thanks, Nick.

PeterMoretti wrote:Shift Backspace is another Ripple Delete command.

Excellent observation, Peter. Now that I've disabled the Delete key with Nick's script, this allows me to easily use ripple delete when I want to. SuWEET!

Nick Ruddle

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 am

Curtis Long wrote:
Nick Ruddle wrote:

This is brilliant! Thanks, Nick.

PeterMoretti wrote:Shift Backspace is another Ripple Delete command.

Excellent observation, Peter. Now that I've disabled the Delete key with Nick's script, this allows me to easily use ripple delete when I want to. SuWEET!

:)

Stewart Fairweather

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 5:53 am

Seeing this thread tells me,.. I'm not the only one.

I passionately HATE the whole Ripple Delete concept. Hate!. It.!

As an Edius user, it was a simple one-mouse-click to disable Ripple Delete, which then meant my timelines were logical and less likely to get effed up completely by a single keystroke.

Now, working more and more in Resolve (after close to 20 years in Edius), if the Delete Key deleted with out Ripple, and the Backspace (y'know, the one with the backwards Moving arrow,...) did Ripple Delete, that might just be mildly close to logical.

So I tried to create a custom set of shortcuts, and sure, I can redo the Backspace key, but not the Del key - even if I change from Backspace to Del in the keyboard map, I then can't save and exit the new map and get to work.

Frankly, having "Delete" do Ripple Delete, is a right P.I.T.A., it should Delete, not Ripple Delete.

Joshua Morin

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:58 pm

If you export the keyboard mappings, you can edit the file and change the behaviour of the delete key. FYI.

I also hate the delete key behaviour.
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

TheJesper

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Maybe I misunderstand totally but there is a padlock symbol with a double arrow on next to linked selection icon over timeline which can be pressed to enable/disable ripple delete (or rather lock the clips) quite easily.

Stewart Fairweather

PostSun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 am

Sure, for the other tracks, but the one you're working on, hit Del instead of Backspace, and suddenly that track no long matches the rest of the timeline where you've done other work, which can happen when the client want's changes partway along, but loves the ending already.

Return to DaVinci Resolve