best way to apply node chain to multiple clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Schampera

best way to apply node chain to multiple clips

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi,

what is the best practice to apply multiple nodes (a node chain) to multiple clips.
e.g. some color correction plus vignette, etc.

Thanks, Andreas

Ara Thomassian

Re: best way to apply node chain to multiple clips

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 pm

1. Create the node chain/template you desire
2. Take a still of it in your "power grade"
3. High light every clip in your timeline you want to have the node chain/template
4. Center click (mouse) the power grade still. This will apply the color to all the clips that have been highlighted.

;)

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 6:04 am

Another method:

1) create a good overall correction for a scene in the first shot.
2) highlight all the other shots in this sequence.
3) center-click the first shot. This correction will now be applied to all the rest.

You can now individually tweak the other shots with subsequent nodes -- or, if you use a fixed node tree, adjust specific nodes to taste.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Can the "fixed node tree" you want to start with on each clip be saved and applied to each new project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 am

rick.lang wrote:Can the "fixed node tree" you want to start with on each clip be saved and applied to each new project?

Well, what I do is I have several examples of fixed node trees with different levels of complexity, only they're empty. When I start a brand-new project, I decide what's going to work, then pull in the fixed node tree as a Powergrade, then come up with some overall settings that will cover a starting point for some (or most) of the shots, and apply that to the entire show. Then I go shot-to-shot and tweak the nodes that need adjusting. When I run into something that looks awful, I blow it away and try a different approach.

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 5:48 am

That should save me time. I'm certainly a novice with Resolve. I've been building a node tree for the first clip and copying the content to those clips for which it should work. When I encounter a clip that needs a different node tree, I build that and copy it to where it should work. I didn't realize you can save and reuse a node tree structure. Thanks, Marc.

Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 am

I'm reluctant to share my own node tree, but Mark Todd Osbourne (who is an excellent LA colorist with an impressive resume) was interviewed some time ago on Shane Hurlbutt's website, and he included an example of a fixed node tree:

I have seen several variations of this technique used at CO3, Technicolor, Encore, eFilm and a number of other LA post houses. There are advantages and disadvantages to it, but one positive thing is once you get very accustomed to where all the nodes are, you can go very quickly through projects because no node has to be created -- you merely have to activate (unbypass) it. The other advantage is if somebody else has to take over the project, or if you have to pick the project up again six months or a year later, you'll understand exactly what every single node is doing.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 2:27 am

Thanks so much, Marc. Very kind of you to provide that information. I'll try to find it on Shane's site and integrate into my raw Colour page.

Rick Lang

Sam Steti

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Well Marc, that's ok but what's the real point of getting rid of a still (since the principle is quite the same) when you know that (1) you can expand its node tree and recover the fixed nodes you mentionned whenever you like, and (2) you can keep these stills in a power bin (gallery) which may be a bit more elegant to cross projects ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 6:16 am

Sam Steti wrote:Well Marc, that's ok but what's the real point of getting rid of a still (since the principle is quite the same) when you know that (1) you can expand its node tree and recover the fixed nodes you mentionned whenever you like, and (2) you can keep these stills in a power bin (gallery) which may be a bit more elegant to cross projects ?

Because it's a lot faster to work this way. I use stills all the time, but they're all storing previous corrections with the same node structure.

I do use PowerGrades in some cases, but often those looks go into Post-Clip Grades, or I have just one node that I drop into an empty node in the current node tree.

Note there are a lot of different ways to work -- this is just one way, and it goes along with the question added about applying a node chain to multiple clips. If I just had to (say) add a vignette on the outside of 50 clips, one button (enable node) and one Ripple Node Change will do it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve