Replace clip in timeline whilst keeping transitions applied

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Josh Thurston

Replace clip in timeline whilst keeping transitions applied

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 am

Hi, I'm struggling to get replace command (F11) to work in Resolve 14. I want to replace a clip on the timeline but keep any transitions applied. The replace and overwrite commands seem to do the same thing and remove all transitions.

Example: I have a sequence of 3 clips with cross fades between them. I want to replace the middle clip without overwriting the fades applied (the clip is identical length/size etc)
F11, F10 etc all result in the new clip being replaced and losing all transitions. I've tried experimenting with selecting the clip, selecting in/out points, moving playhead etc.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Replace clip in timeline whilst keeping transitions appl

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

No current single step method.
Try selecting each transition, changing the start/end time so it's not overlapping the clip you are replacing and after replacing move transitions back.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 12:06 pm

You say you've checked the in/out points, but preserving transitions on replacements has never failed for me if there are enough frames before and after the start and end frames to allow the transition to remain.

You need to make sure that the position of the timeline playhead and the current position in the source window allow for these handles when you hit F11. The position of both are crucial, for determining what the head frame will be.

Josh Thurston

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've played around with various playhead positions and understand what you mean John. But unfortunately F11 and F10 seem to do the same thing - they replace the clip and erase and transitions that were on there.

I'm running Beta 14.0.0.078 so perhaps it's simply a bug?

For now I'll just add the transitions back on. Not a deal breaker, but rather annoying.

John Paines

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd wager that the bug is user error.

Try this: drag a clip or subclip substantially longer than the one you want to replace (on the timeline) into the source viewer. Click somewhere in the middle of the source viewer jog bar, so you display a frame somewhere in the middle of that clip. Now place the timeline playhead in the middle of the clip you want to replace. Hit F11. What happened?

Josh Thurston

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Apologies, it was operator error!

I was highlighting the clip with in/outs using Shift+A. That was causing the issue!
If I simply align the playhead at the start, F11 works as intended.

Thanks again

Return to DaVinci Resolve