Adaptive -- end-to-end signal flow?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ed Nixon

Adaptive -- end-to-end signal flow?

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 pm

I don't know if this is a feature request or a question about something that is just over the horizon in the v14 beta sequence:

The Adaptive channel configuration option during track creation is a tremendously useful feature. I think it would be an even more useful feature if it were available in the Fairlight page for bus configurations.

My use case is ambisonic signal processing. In other editing and mixing tools, it is possible to set up a 'generic' 4 or 16 channel track/busses for handling the output of 1st and 2nd order ambisonic plugins. It's possible to define an end-to-end flow that encodes input or clip audio to b-format at the start and decodes back to a-format on a Main output. The precise type of multi-channel output can be left, as an option, to the end.

There are multi-track bus options currently available but they seem to be designed or wired in to some or all of the surround features of the pan window. (I say this based on the current documentation and some of the posts I've read in the Forum; I could be completely mistaken.) The Adaptive flow is largely a 'clean' pipe and simply permits addition of various types of ambisonic manipulations and effects.

I'd venture to say there are other use-case scenarios that I'm not aware of.

Perhaps this is a major disruption to the established architecture of Fairlight. Or, hopefully, it's addition might add to the flexibility and 'plasticity' of the tool. Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve