No Retime Controls on Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Harry Steinhäuser

No Retime Controls on Audio

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Retime Control on Audio Clip is grayed out.
But I need to slow down audio (dynamiccaaallllllllyyyyyyy___)
No audio fx either.
Any suggestions (other than use audacity)

thx // Harry
MacPro lt.2013 / DaVinci latest Studio version

Jean Claude

Re: No Retime Controls on Audio

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi,

use the change clip speed (origan speed is 29,970, now is 2,997)
change_clip_speed.jpg

With the pointer, extend the length of the audio clip
With the pointer, extend the length of the audio clip.jpg

(unlink video and audio)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Harry Steinhäuser

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:38 am

of course, I know how to vary the clip speed..
But that was not the question.
I need to slow down / speed up like i.e. a tape does.
Not with a cut.
(simply enable the retime controls with audio and everything is good)

thx // Harry
MacPro lt.2013 / DaVinci latest Studio version

Øyvind Kaurstad

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Why can't anyone from Blackmagic answer this? The retime controls are great, but useless unless you don't need the audio. It makes no sense that the audio isn't also affected (as long as audio and video are linked).

Dave Jeske

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 4:58 am

I'm having this same problem.

I'm using the retime controls to insert several "speedup" sections in a clip.. however, the audio is not retimed, so it's out of sync.

How do I get the linked audio clips to use the same retime info and speed points that I insert for the video?

infocus_jc

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:46 am

Hi there,

I'm also interested in this, I want to be able to control audio effects dynamically (automations) in the timeline, just like the retime curve allows me to automate video effects.

Is that possible ? I've been trying to figure this out for hours, and it seems like the only way is to go deep into fairlight, which seems a little overkill because I just want to animate a simple audio effect on my timeline.

Byron Dickens

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 pm

What y'all are asking is pretty involved even with a dedicated audio editing program.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

VioletWolf

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 am

Look for a plugin called Tape Stop. (There's actually a few around with that name) here's one but I haven't tested this particular one. Automate it on/off when you want the effect to hit:

http://www.vstplanet.com/News/14/Tape-S ... lug-in.htm
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

VioletWolf

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 am

Byron Dickens wrote:What y'all are asking is pretty involved even with a dedicated audio editing program.

Yes, doing it manually is way harder than you think
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Nery89

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Just bumping this question which is legitimate. Why audio is not affected by retime curves as it is the video? Only with the option "change time" audio is affected, we can even chose to change the pitch accordingly... but not with retime controls... what a shame... :cry:
Acer aspire A715-71G, 12Gb RAM, intel core i5 7300 HQ, nvidia GTX 1050

Peter Cave

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 am

I'm not aware of any video editing app that does a ramped speed change with both video & audio. Can you post an example of another video app doing this?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 9:02 am

If you have linked video and audio, retime actions in the Edit page affects both media.

For audio only clips, setting non-trivial speed ups/speed downs is easier done in the Fairlight timeline with with the Elastic Wave action. The underlying effect is the same, but the audio-specific context, including larger waveforms and better monitoring options allows for better feedback

DeepSOIC

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 9:11 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:f you have linked video and audio, retime actions in the Edit page affects both media.
For me, it does if the audio came from the same video file. But i can't make it work with an externally-recorded audio track that I have linked to the video (the video file has an audio track as well, but i have deleted it because i don't need it).

I did select audio+video and tick "Link clips" in the context menu, they now select together and move together, but retiming only affects the video. Any ideas? Am i missing something stupid?

version 16.2.7.010 (free) on windows10

DeepSOIC

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Looks like i figured it out: select both audio and video, right-click -> new compound clip. After that, retimr controls affect both.

martin.kovacik

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 am

DeepSOIC wrote:Looks like i figured it out: select both audio and video, right-click -> new compound clip. After that, retimr controls affect both.

Hello, I am facing the same issue but even making the new compound does not help - retime simply ignores the audio track. Did you figure out more about the behavior and workarounds?

I am using a simple workaround (split + change speed for desired section) but it's a pitty that I could not use Retime, would be much more fluent.

Mathisxy

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 5:19 pm

I just found out that it is possible, at least with my video file type.

In the Edit Page close to the "Enable Snapping" Icon Button click on the "Linked Selection" Icon Button.

Then select a clip (the linked audio gets selected automatically) and retime it with Retime Controls.
For me that worked as expected, the audio pitch doesnt change but the speed along with the video.

Fizmarble

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:02 pm

I come from Vegas Pro (laugh if you want) where it's very easy to group video and any number of audio tracks together to be stretched (retimed). I'm struggling to find a similar solution in DR.

Retiming in DR works great if you are using the original audio of the video. But I can't find a way to add another audio track and have it retimed along with the original audio. Furthermore, in the edit page, Only video can be selected for retiming. In Vegas Pro, you can ctrl-drag on the edge of any clip (audio or video) and stretch it's time shorter or longer. This can be done with groups as well (as I mentioned). In DR, I can't even figure out how to link an audio clip to a video clip and have it behave as if the audio is the original audio.

I feel like I'm not explaining this well. But "linking" clips doesn't seem to truly link them like a video with its original audio are linked. I can drag them together and adjust the in/out points together, but the retime doesn't work correctly. I've read the manual regarding linking and it doesn't speak to this.

Is this bad design, a bug, or user error?

Mathisxy

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 8:49 am

I linked a video clip with audio and another audio clip and tried to retime them with "Linked Selection" enabled, but only the video clip with the original audio clip got retimed, not the second linked audio clip.

I think this is basically a lack of features. The retiming with the original linked audio is also more an implicit feature, rather than the possibility to explicitly define what media clips you want to retime together.

Yet maybe there is such a feature, but I dont know it.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 12:50 pm

Try making the collection of audio/video tracks into a compound clip and retime the compound clip.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 1:30 pm

Fizmarble wrote:"linking" clips doesn't seem to truly link them
Try a Sync operation from the Media page instead.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mathisxy

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 9:05 am

I knew from earlier versions of Resolve, that making a compound clip would make it have a fixed framerate. That means that if you have a 120fps footage and you make it 240% faster to sync it with the audio, then make a compound clip, you could retime that compound clip only with 50fps, but now you have all the 120fps still available.

That makes compound clips the optimal solution for retiming video and audio together to me.

Return to DaVinci Resolve