Microphone Recording - not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Danek

Microphone Recording - not working

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:34 pm

I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that being able to record audio to a Fairlight track was something missing the the beta releases. When the final release was made, I was disappointed to see that I still can't make a recording. I don't see anything in the system requirements for microphones. I've seen mention of settings in the forum (24 bit, 48000 Hz), but I have no way of knowing if this is correct.

Apparently, some people are able to make this work. I can't. My system:

- Windows 10
- Intel i5 quad core (3Ghz)
- nVidea 950 based graphic card
- 16 GB memory
- M-Audio Fast Track USB device

All of the other audio tools (Audacity, Presonus Studio One 3, Voice Recorder) on my system work with this USB device. I can also plug my microphone directly into the audio-in on my PC and these programs work with that. On Resolve, though, not so much. I can see the Line1/Line2 Fast Track in the Fairlight patch panel. I make a patch from the audio into the track input. I see no mixer volume activity, though. If I arm a track and try to record, nothing happens. (The track turns red and grows on the timeline but then disappears when I stop recording.

I thought this might be related to the difference between the free version and the Studio version. But I see nothing that would indicate that this is so.

With the M-Audio Fast Track, I can only get 44.1 KHz recording. There's no option for 48 KHz. I don't know if this is a real requirement because, as I stated, I didn't see it in the documentation.

What am I missing?

Dieter Teßin

Re: Microphone Recording - not working

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem.
I used the PreSonus Studiolive AR16 USB (Samplerate = 48 KHz in and out = 24 Bit), but now my microphone is connected over XENYX-QX1222-USB to the PC. In this case the driver is ASIO4ALL.
I have the same problem with both devices.
In Adobe Premiere Pro all works fine, but in Resolve nothing passed. I patched the chanel for voice to the mic inputs, but there is no signal in Resolve 14.
In the Windows 10 system control panel (sound) you can see, the voice is there. Also you can hear the voice over the connected sounfsystem.

Logfile:
…………………..
Width = 1920, Height = 1080, FPS = 25

------------------- Here, I press the record-button ---------------------------
m_frameDuration = 1000, m_frameTimescape = 25000
[0x00003014] | SyManager | WARN | 2017-10-03 14:35:11,415 | SyAudioWave::ParseHeader | Chunk of invalid size (0, got 8)
[0x00003014] | SyManager | WARN | 2017-10-03 14:35:11,415 | SyAudioWave::ParseHeader | Chunk of invalid size (0, got 0)
[0x00002f58] | SyManager | WARN | 2017-10-03 14:35:11,417 | SyAudioWave::ParseHeader | Chunk of invalid size (0, got 8)
[0x00002f58] | SyManager | WARN | 2017-10-03 14:35:11,418 | SyAudioWave::ParseHeader | Chunk of invalid size (0, got 0)

Is anybody there, who can help?

Regards
Dieter
Win11-on-M.2, Asus-Z390P, i9-9900K, 64GB-RAM, Nvidia RTX-4070, BM-Intensity-Pro-4K

id4you.de
Regards
Dieter

Adam Brown

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm

I had the same problem and found it was related to my microphone setting. I made a short tutorial on the fix:

Spencer_Meyer

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 am

I just thought I'd share my experience with this:

It took a bit of work, but I managed to get it recording. I followed Adam's advice and made sure the Recording device was set to 48000 Hz. On my main interface (an inexpensive Behringer UMC 202HD) Resolve picked it up right away. However, I did experience a strange buffering issue, where it would only capture about 1 second of audio prior to me hitting record, then Resolve would loop it.

For example if I said "I walked down the beach," then hit the record button and said "where I met Sally selling seashells by the sea shore." Resolve would load the track with "I walked down the beach, I walked down the beach, I walked down the beach." For as long as I let the recording session run.

Thinking it was the audio interface, I hooked up my Zoom H6, and tried that. I had to restart a couple of times, and reconfigure it in the control panel, but eventually Resolve recognized it, and it worked flawlessly for a few minutes, then it started experiencing the same buffer loop issue.

I'm not too surprised or bothered, because my computer is a piece of junk, half the components on this thing are 10 years old, and it's been quirky from day one. But if can run Resolve, there should be hope for everyone else.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Dieter Teßin

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 am

Hi,

@Adam:
that was exactly, what the problem was. Thank you.

Regards
Dieter
Win11-on-M.2, Asus-Z390P, i9-9900K, 64GB-RAM, Nvidia RTX-4070, BM-Intensity-Pro-4K

id4you.de
Regards
Dieter

Juergen Engelke

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am

Hi,

@Adam

This solves my USB Voice Over Problem too - thanks Adam, it's so simple.
Triple boot Win10-Pro| Resolve Studio | Decklink 4K Extreme 12G | NVIDIA GTX1080 | INTEL ARC A770 | SSD-RAID | HDD-RAID | 20 logical cores | 2 x 10GbE | 64GB RAM | on 10GbE Media sharing NW | 10Gbps NAS | BMD Cloud Store 10Gbps

Steve Alexander

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 pm

From Ripple Training:

Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Juergen Engelke

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

OK, now that my USB Mic works, I am missing a means to adjust the Input signal previous to record.

Seems there is no meter for that purpose ?

Regards
Juergen
Triple boot Win10-Pro| Resolve Studio | Decklink 4K Extreme 12G | NVIDIA GTX1080 | INTEL ARC A770 | SSD-RAID | HDD-RAID | 20 logical cores | 2 x 10GbE | 64GB RAM | on 10GbE Media sharing NW | 10Gbps NAS | BMD Cloud Store 10Gbps

Irakly Shanidze

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 am

Interestingly, it works only if the audio track for the voice over is the one on top, or if the recording is appended at the end of a single track. At first I tried to patch a microphone to a newly created track at the bottom, and it would not record. Is it by design?
Leica SL/BM Video Assist 4K, Panasonic Lumix DC-S1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Mac Studio M1 • 32GB RAM

Jens Hamann

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 am

Hi,
when I use voice over in Fairlight with Scarlett USB I first have to disable my Intensity Pro 4K
in preferences>video I/O> for 'capture and playback' and 'live use'. It both must set to 'None'.
If not, Scarlett isn't visible as an audio input device in Fairlight.
My question is:
Do we have a possibility to use the Intensity Pro for video output to an external monitor when doing
a voice over as described?

One more thing:
In this forum I have read about the idea that BlackMagic could develop professional software for photos
like Lightroom or Aperture. Very good idea, I would love that !!!
A lot of people are frustrated about the development of Lightroom and the discontinued Apple Aperture.

Thanks a lot and best regards to the davinci team from Cologne,
Jens

Bob Kovacs

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I followed the instructions in the Ripple Training video and was able to record using the generic mic input on my computer, which does not have a special audio card. I got nice clean voiceover sound. There are a lot of steps, but this is probably a better way to do the frequent voiceovers I need, as opposed to using my little standalone audio recorder and moving the file into Resolve.

Thanks!

Bob Kovacs

Hartmut Kuhse

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:49 pm

For windows users, I recommend 'pedalboad 2' for 'pimping' the audio signal from the microphone live. So it is not necessary to edit the recorded voice over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4uYfyN2vE&t

For german users, an even better explanation (and downloadlinks in the comments):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hARXyLpeBk&t

Hartmut
Win 10 x64 (1803), i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide

FNHallUK

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am

Hi All,

I've been struggling with this issue of not being able to record audio for a few days now. Finally I found the problem. Following the advice above, I had my microphone set to 48kHz, up from the default 44.1kHz. And I had tried the microphone on my headphones and the one built into my laptop. Neither seemed to work.

Today, I set my headphones (audio out) to 48kHz and as soon as I hit the [R] button, I could hear myself! The green volume bars instantly rose up and I knew then everything was working. It could be a generalization to say, if anything is set to 44.1kHz, it might hinder things in Fairlight.

Daniel Rivers

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

I have M-audio M-track plus and zoom H5. Neither works in Resolve for recording audio! Resolve at least can see Zoom as an audio Input when I connect it as an audio interface but still doesnt even show any sign of a signal when press "R" for recording. Everything set to 48 khz - playback and recording but to no avail. They both work as playback devices but nothing records. Can somebody suggest anything I could do to make it work somehow? Cos current situation sucks a lot.

Andy Mees

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 am

If you are using a Blackmagic I/O device for audio monitoring , try toggling that off in your I/O preferences before recording... that's what works for me. (And if that does work for you too, then you can save that setup as a separate monitoring preset - in your I/O preferences - so you can easily switch to it direct from the Fairlight page.)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Daniel Rivers

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 am

I dont use any BM devices, ofc my Audio Interface is chosen in Audio and Video I\O settings. No that doesnt work at all.

UBWorkroom

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi, I am using BEHRINGER C1-U USB mic with Resolve Studio 16 but nothing seems to work.

I have changed settings to 16 bit 48000 that's what maximum option is shown in the list, patched it correctly aven put the recording on the very first audio track but nothing works at all.

It really sucks as I have literally tried every known thing, Please guide me anything

Would be much appreciated

Charles Bennett

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Assuming you are on Windows, have you checked the settings in the "Sound" menu? Make sure that under the Recording tab your C1 is selected, and that in the Properties Advanced tab you have 48k selected.
Attachments
USB Audio.jpg
USB Audio.jpg (193.21 KiB) Viewed 16252 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Larr2000

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 3:25 am

For Mac users running OSX Catalina...

I too have had VO microphone problems with my STUDIO version of DaVinci, but the issue was created when Apple banned 3rd party apps (like Blackmagic DaVinci) access to hardware in Privacy settings. I run OSX High Sierra on my MBP with no problems - BUT High Sierra does not lock out 3rd party microphones needed by DaVinci.

So, here is what I found in OSX Catalina:
1. Security&Privacy have new categories: Camera / Microphone / Speech Recognition / Input Monitoring / Full Disk Access / Files and Folders and several others that do not affect VO.
2. When you load DaVinci Resolve 16 and accept it as a 3rd party developer, the following categories; Accessibility / Input Monitoring / Full Disk Access / Files and Folders will show DaVinci Resolve 16 loaded, BUT Microphones does not.
3. OSX has to recognize DaVinci Resolve 16 before DaVinci can create a patch to the hardware in Fairlight, so - - the work around is a Terminal Hack. If you are not comfortable with UNIX commands, this is not for you. If you are, proceed with caution..
3a. Open a Terminal window from the utilities folder.
3b. Type the following command syntax: sudo spctl --master-enable
3c. If entered correctly you will be prompted for your admin password - it will then execute.
3d. Open Security&Privacy and Open Microphones - you will not see DaVinci Resolve 16 at this point.
3d. Close DaVinci Resolve 16, plugin your USB microphone and restart your computer - ReOpen DaVinci Resolve 16
3e. Now, Open Security&Privacy and Microphones - you should see DaVinci Resolve 16 checked.
3f. If not, make sure you have Security&Privacy unlocked before you run your terminal command.
4. As a check Go To ABOUT THIS MAC and start a SYSTEM REPORT.
5. When it opens look in AUDIO for your microphone - if you don't see it, you have not made it past the security block - repeat as necessary.
6. Proceed to DaVinci Resolve and go to FAIRLIGHT - check your audio inputs for your microphone and ARM as necessary.

BTW - Don't for get to disable with your terminal command: sudo spctl --master-disable

Usually, there are multiple ways to install a 3rd party USB microphone that is easier than this. If anyone has one, please add to this forum..

Thanks for your patience..Good Luck with your VO
DaVinci Resolve Studio, 18.6.4 build 6
BlackMagic Speed Editor
Black Magic 6K Cinema Full Frame.
Mac Studio Apple M2 Ultra, macOS Sonoma 14.2.1,
Memory 128 GB, iPhone 15 Pro Max,
Apple BlueSnowball mic

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 pm

@Larry: This can also happen with fresh Mojave installs.

We should have this addressed in the next Resolve release. But until then, 2 temporary solutions are here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=109197

Testing your solution on a Catalina system, it's not working for me. One thing I see, Googling various Gatekeeper threads, is that it seems you have the spctl arguments backwards.

sudo spctl --master-disable is what disables the check. And then you'd want to enable it again at some point.

As per this thread (and multiple others):

https://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-any ... and-mojave

But even taking that into account, Resolve is not being added into the Microphone Allowed Apps list with this process.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

houldsworth1

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Assuming you are on Windows, have you checked the settings in the "Sound" menu? Make sure that under the Recording tab your C1 is selected, and that in the Properties Advanced tab you have 48k selected.

@charles
Thank you. I don't see exactly the same screen as you do in windows, but it got me looking in the sound section and I found that there is an section where the microphone to be used with Davinci can be selected.

Once I did that the H5 started working and also I was able to use my MXL USB.006, which was what I actually wanted to use for this project.

Charles Bennett

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Glad you got it working.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Gene Cornelius

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Windows 10, MOTU mk3 Ultralite Hybrid connected (and working) via USB, set to 48K, existing tracks playing back, but despite opening closing, double-checking settings, making sure patch set mic in put (Analog 1) to track input, I get no action to record VO.

Is this specifically because Resolve has no ASIO support?

I keep running into the "must be set to 48Khz" thing, but that is obviously not my problem. The display on front indicates 48k, and all references to it in any properties fields are set to 48Khz.

Any new clues on how to get this working?

I do NOT want to use my integrated soundcard or record to other programs or devices and fly the audio in. Of course I will if I have to. Already wasted a few hours on this.

EDIT: Was running Resolve Studio 17b1, now updating to 17.0b2 just in case it's fixed (not holding breath) (nope)

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am

Start a new project. In Project Settings - Fairlight, in the Audio Busing Mode area, check the "Use fixed bus mapping" checkbox.

Now set up a timeline and test the audio recording. Does that allow it to work?
Dwaine Maggart

Gene Cornelius

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 am

Yes!

Thank you ... This is going to be a big help, saving me tons of time. (bouncing to VO recording and back to edit just sux, as I'm sure you know!)

So I see I cannot do the same in existing projects/timelines. But for the future, at least, I know. Wonder why it was not mentioned in any of the posts, videos, threads, etc ...?

Or is there a way to import an edited timeline to another project?

Thanks again .. glad to know it's possible and functional.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Start a new project. In Project Settings - Fairlight, in the Audio Busing Mode area, check the "Use fixed bus mapping" checkbox.

Gene Cornelius

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 am

OK< i see now that it's not really possible, as far as I can see (which isn't far, admittedly .. I recognize Resolvese to be a deep and intricate language and culture)

I have modified my system default to make new projects with this particular box ticked.

Question: Why would it not be in the first place? What is the function of having a function disabled? There is a reason, I'm sure. Maybe someday I'll understand it.

Now I just have to determine if it will save me time to redo the edits of the last 9 hours I spent today, or just finish my current projects recording the audio to the rough edits, and move on.
Not sure which is more efficient. (it's not a huge deal .. it's only a day's work)

Gene Cornelius wrote:Yes!

Thank you ... This is going to be a big help, saving me tons of time. (bouncing to VO recording and back to edit just sux, as I'm sure you know!)

So I see I cannot do the same in existing projects/timelines. But for the future, at least, I know. Wonder why it was not mentioned in any of the posts, videos, threads, etc ...?

Or is there a way to import an edited timeline to another project?

Thanks again .. glad to know it's possible and functional.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Start a new project. In Project Settings - Fairlight, in the Audio Busing Mode area, check the "Use fixed bus mapping" checkbox.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Flex bus only exists in 17, and its the 17 default.

Try this: Turn on Dynamic Project Switching.

Start a new project. Enable fixed bus mapping.

Load the original project if it was not already open.

Select the entire timeline on the Edit page, then copy.

Switch back to the new project with fixed bus mapping, and on the Edit page, do a Ctrl-v to paste the copied timeline from the original project into the new project.
Dwaine Maggart

Gene Cornelius

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Thank you Dwaine, this works well!

Gene Cornelius

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Spoke too soon .. I do have active throughput, but it's distorted and lots of latency.(works fine in Reaper, but not in Resolve)

Posted in another thread to chase that dragon.

Gene Cornelius wrote:Thank you Dwaine, this works well!

Gene Cornelius

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Now it's not working again. At all (in Resolve)

All I did was change the Preferences/General/Audio Processing block size from Auto to 128. This did not help the latency/crackling

I changed it back to Auto and restarted. No audio throughput when track armed.

Started a new project, "Use fixed bus mapping" is still checked. No throughput after patching.

System still works fine with no detectable latency when using Reaper.

I did notice embedded audio is playing back in Resolve with some dropouts, so restarted system. Turned off Dynamic Project Switching. Still no audio record throughput.

Gene Cornelius

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 pm

So still no microphone recording possible in Resolve 17. Understood is Beta. So is this a bug?

I've gone through all the settings and nothing changes. I have zero idea why it would work one moment (partially, with distorted huge latency) then cease to function altogether.

The system is a a relatively fresh (approx. 1 month) clean install of Windows 10 (specifically to run Resolve) and the audio output and recording works fine in all aspects EXCEPT for in Resolve.

Would love to hear confirmation that I can stop fiddling about with it as something is clearly wrong with the Beta, or are there further actions I can try?

Thank you!

Gene Cornelius

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 2:31 am

I am blaming the dodgy MOTU drivers. I've always had issue with this Ultralite .. from day 1. So I had stopped using it instead using my RME. Thought I'd have better luck with it using Win10 as opposed to Win7, but no such luck, apparently. Today the MOTU ceased function altogether (no playback and kept reverting to 44.1 when Resolve started), despite reinstalling everything, so I cleared that trash off my system and stole my RME from my laptop (which is my audio machine)

I now have microphone throughput in Resolve, but now back to the latency issue. Buffer size 96, and even lower works, but still hearing tons of "echo" in Resolve (Auto input or input only, it matters not) not using FX, and there is no noticeable latency detected in ProTools or Reaper. Just Resolve.

At least I can just mute the channel, record, then edit.

guy van den bosch

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Fixed bus mapping: ok, did this, but no luck either.
input works with other audio software.
Did the same on mac, works perfectly, but not on PC workstation.
And yes: switched to 48Khz input.

Robin Landal

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Flex bus only exists in 17, and its the 17 default.

Try this: Turn on Dynamic Project Switching.

Start a new project. Enable fixed bus mapping.

Load the original project if it was not already open.

Select the entire timeline on the Edit page, then copy.

Switch back to the new project with fixed bus mapping, and on the Edit page, do a Ctrl-v to paste the copied timeline from the original project into the new project.

YES! At last! Thanks!
Oh god, my blood group almost changed because of this problem.
But still, my current project won't work. Luckely only 1h into the project so rather start over and redo everything with working VO!

I'm on PC, 17 Beta. RME Babyface Pro

Gene Cornelius

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 am

[quote=]"Robin Landal"

I'm on PC, 17 Beta. RME Babyface Pro[/quote]

Congrats finding your solution. Do you have latency? (Or are able to monitor without latency?) Also using RME Babyface Pro here, and not getting good results in Fairlight. I have to solo the other track(s) or mute the VO, but Blackmagic engineers forgot that input monitoring should also include input METERING so it's really hard for some of us who like to have meters when we record ... if we can't have true pass-through input (like all other NLE's I've ever worked with) then at least perhaps in input meter?

Return to DaVinci Resolve