Where to buy studio version?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mardy Dep

Where to buy studio version?

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 am

So resolve 14 studio requires one to actually buy a physical code, which is ancient and needs to be changed, but even with that said, where do I buy one? I am a new user and it seems as if blackmagic does not want my money. It seems stores only have the dongle version and even those working at the stores are very confused.

Mardy Dep

Re: Where to buy studio version?

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

anybody?

grahamtaustin

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:15 pm

So surprised no one else is asking about this?! I have been patiently waiting to buy resolve 14 studio and need it for work very soon and can find no one selling the new version. I don't want to pay for the dongle version as I have a new MacBook with USB-C. Hate that there is no option right now to buy this software.

I called BMD and they seemed completely clueless about when it would even be available through their authorized resellers. At very least you should be able to buy an activation code over the phone while resellers wait to receive the new boxes.

So insane.

Mardy Dep

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 am

I agree. As a new user, this whole experience has not been great. It is almost like blackmagic does not want my money. I use a new macbook pro and also don't want a dongle. It's been confusing to get answers and retailers seem even more confused.

Drew Moe

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:38 am

I'm in the same boat. Just sold my dongle on eBay for a fraction of the original cost, and plan on repurchasing the Activation Key version, but haven't had any luck with resellers. One of them here in LA was legitimately confused about what I was even talking about.

Between retconning the Dongle>Activation Key transition to not being able to actually buy the new thing, this release could be going better...

Seth Goldin

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 am

Yeah, this isn't how I expected the Resolve 14 final release to ship. I called B&H on Monday and they were confused as to what I was even talking about. The gentleman I spoke with hadn't even heard about dongle-free activation codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

grahamtaustin

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 am

Is everyone at BMD on vacation? Can someone from the company chime in?

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 am

i think they are all on a well deserved post release sabatical
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Mardy Dep

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:51 pm

@peter can you please chime in here?

Mardy Dep

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

UPDATE: went to the actual physical B&H store and had them call up a resolve box and it was still the 12.5 dongle version. So resolve studio non dongle has still not reached retailers and as a new customer this experience has been confusing and frustrating.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, the factory is making them now (they only had the release last week) and are shipping to the regional sales offices who supply the reseller channel.

Once they hit the channel we will announce it here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Mardy Dep

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Ok thank you, Peter. I do think this is a good example why simply emailing customers the code in the future will be more efficient. Do you have an eta on when we might see them in stores and is there a chance I can buy a code at IBC since I'll be there?

Pedro Maccarone

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 pm

I bought it yesterday on the AppStore on my Macbook.
$299.99, obviously no dongle required.

I don't know on Windows, have you checked the store?

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:the factory is making them now

A 'factory' is making activation codes? A digital file? A number?

Odd.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mardy Dep

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Pedro Maccarone wrote:I bought it yesterday on the AppStore on my Macbook.

The App Store version is missing features and because of that I'm not interested in buying from there.

Pedro Maccarone

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Mardy Dep wrote:
Pedro Maccarone wrote:I bought it yesterday on the AppStore on my Macbook.

The App Store version is missing features and because of that I'm not interested in buying from there.

Missing features such as....?

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Try and select CUDA and you know ;-)
Or try and export a jpeg still for that matter ... Sounds simple right ?
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Pedro Maccarone

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Try and select CUDA and you know ;-)
Or try and export a jpeg still for that matter ... Sounds simple right ?

Phew dude...you scared me. Thought it was something worrying...(for me at least)

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Nah man you are ok. (as long as you run a vanilla mac, its all good)
Just dont click that one button on the color page under that thingy , 2 cm to the left, or it will explode. :mrgreen:

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Color me confused... I thought there was no more dongle. From what I can tell, you can buy it on the BH site digitally.. I have it in my cart now, just waiting on some mula in the bank to arrive. I assumed I would buy it and it would provide an activation key, and thats that. Done. Is that not the way it works?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Mardy Dep

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Color me confused... I thought there was no more dongle. From what I can tell, you can buy it on the BH site digitally.. I have it in my cart now, just waiting on some mula in the bank to arrive. I assumed I would buy it and it would provide an activation key, and thats that. Done. Is that not the way it works?

There is no longer a dongle. But the activation code is on a physical piece of paper that you have to buy and get shipped to you. What you see on bh site is the old dongle version that blackmagic is for some reason still selling in order to make it even more confusing. We have to wait an unknown amount of time for a factory to print some numbers on a piece of paper for us to buy it. It's almost like they would rather not have our money.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

Mardy Dep wrote:
There is no longer a dongle. ...... .

Not correct.
You will be able to order the dongle or activation license key version of DaVinci Resolve Studio.
We are still rolling this out and the reseller channel will have activation versions soon.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Mardy Dep

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Mardy Dep wrote:
There is no longer a dongle. ...... .

Not correct.
You will be able to order the dongle or activation license key version of DaVinci Resolve Studio.
We are still rolling this out and the reseller channel will have activation versions soon.

Peter, can you see the confusion this is causing? I thought you guys said that you'll no longer be selling the dongle as of 14. I am aware that the dongle will still work for older users, but I'm pretty sure I read that moving forward it was only activation keys being sold.

Justin Jackson

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 7:05 pm

I have to admit.. I assumed I could buy Studio right now, and get an activation key emailed to me or better yet, available on the black magic portal I would be able to log in to (in case I reinstall and lost my paper). It seems odd to me in 2017 we would need a piece of paper sent to us. Why not just do what everyone else does.. offer a digital key via the web site, so that I dont have to worry about losing some paper sent to me. I will most likely put a note in LastPass with that info at this point if that is how it is going to be dealt with, but it does seem quite an old way of dealing with this.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Robenson Lafortune

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm

I wrote a post about it, but they didn't publish it.
I live in Haiti. I was waiting to the DR14 final version just to purchase de activation code. But I can't find the way just to buy a code. I am not able to receibe anything here. I think it's not difficult to understand the point.

BTW I will be waiting just in case they open the "activation code" purchase. If they don't I'm just not able to buy it

Mardy Dep

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Is there an update on activation code availability? It’s been 10 days since my post and I still can’t find a code in stores.

Deny Watanabe

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

I live in Brazil, a shithole full of corrupt politicians who use tax as a means to STEAL from the population - this is not an exaggeration, perform your own research if you don't believe me.

If I try to purchase a physical activation code, here's what's going to happen:

1) It's going to get stuck in customs for up to 6 months (I KID YOU NOT)
2) There's a chance I'll have to pay 60% of the value (including shipping) in taxes

Of course there's a chance I could buy it from an "authorized reseller", who's going to sell something that can be emailed / downloaded for at least TWICE the US price.

There is NO WAY I'm going to play along with this, until activation codes can be emailed I'll use the free version of Resolve and the Adobe CC Suite, to which I can subscribe for a reasonable price from here btw. Adobe. Those morons who can't code. Yet they've managed to make it easy for anyone in the world to subscribe to CC. Think about it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve