Resolve for master file export / GFX problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Jacks

Resolve for master file export / GFX problem

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi there,

since I'd like to use Resolve as my main application to export the finalized master of a clip/film etc. I was wondering if you guys could help me with the following problem:

Most clients obviously want their logo or other imported graphics in their commercial clip, but I still haven't found a way to import graphics with an alpha channel properly. Usually, for a logo or text, I'd import a hi res TIFF with transparency switched on, but I've experienced a) loss in graphic quality (pixelated edges) when I scale the logo down within Resolve and b) graphics with alpha do not translate well in Resolve and the graphics' edges do not interpret the alpha correctly and therefor the edges aren't "clean".

I've tried it with several file formats like TIFF, PNG and PSD to see if the problem only happens with a particular format, but all formats (that support transparency) have the same problem.

Is it Resolve not being ready for GFX work yet or is it me that needs to check/uncheck a certain program setting?

Best
Christian

seanross67

Re: Resolve for master file export / GFX problem

PostMon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

I have had the same problem. My theory is that the alpha is not rescaled using the same method as the image. This makes a jagged edge on the image if there is a rescaling involved. I have found that only by rescaling my graphic or logo in photoshop, it resolves the issue. But this is a pain if I have multiple resolutions.

So, to simplify as a request ot Blackmagic, please scale alpha channels using the same method as the scaling of the graphic/clip itself!!!
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve