Color Diferences Between EDIT and COLOR

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ClaudioBitencourt

Color Diferences Between EDIT and COLOR

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello guys,

First of all sorry for my bad english.
I recently calibrated my monitors, put my LUTs on the corret slots (or at least I think so) , but I was having difficulty into getting my GUI monitor to match my external reference monitor. So I noticed that the viewer of the COLOR TAB matches my reference monitor, but the viewer of EDIT TAB has a difference(less saturation and contrast). Is this normal?
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
color_viewer.jpg
Viewer on COLOR TAB
color_viewer.jpg (373.98 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
edit_viewer.jpg
Viewer on EDIT TAB
edit_viewer.jpg (367.48 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

Marc Wielage

Re: Color Diferences Between EDIT and COLOR

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 3:06 am

I solve this problem by not expecting my GUI monitor to match the external display. I only believe the color in the external display. It's close enough that I don't care.

My external display is calibrated and is being fed by a 4K UltraStudio and a LUT box.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:34 am

IIRC the edit tab viewer doesn't show the output LUT.

Martin Schitter

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 10:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I solve this problem by not expecting my GUI monitor to match the external display. I only believe the color in the external display. It's close enough that I don't care.

yes -- professional typists also wouldn't worry, if the printed letters on their keyboards do not correspond to the actual layout and operation. they will find the right key blindly and will hard ever take their look away from the result on screen.

but that's most likely not a helpful answer, if average mortals are asking for proper keyboard layout recognition and support for the most basic requirements of a satisfying human interface resp. the raison d'être of internationalization efforts in nowadays computer software.

Daniel Stern

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am

ClaudioBitencourt wrote:Hello guys,

I recently calibrated my monitors, put my LUTs on the corret slots (or at least I think so) , but I was having difficulty into getting my GUI monitor to match my external reference monitor. So I noticed that the viewer of the COLOR TAB matches my reference monitor, but the viewer of EDIT TAB has a difference(less saturation and contrast). Is this normal?

Hi Claudio

Did you assign the LUT to both "3D Monitor Lookup Table" and "3D Color Viewer Lookup Table"?

Have a nice day
Daniel
Attachments
LutConfig.png
LutConfig.png (458.6 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

John Paines

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:yes -- professional typists also wouldn't worry, if the printed letters on their keyboards do not correspond to the actual layout and operation. they will find the right key blindly and will hard ever take their look away from the result on screen.

but that's most likely not a helpful answer, if average mortals are asking for proper keyboard layout recognition and support for the most basic requirements of a satisfying human interface resp. the raison d'être of internationalization efforts in nowadays computer software.

Except that, unlike computer keyboards, monitors are designed to different display standards, with a host of variable input sources and endless opportunities for corrupting the signal along the way, none of it under the control of a signal vendor or developer. The answer is connecting a broadcast video output with a display known to be compatible with it and dismissing everything else as useful for content but useless for color correction.

ClaudioBitencourt

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Daniel Stern wrote:
ClaudioBitencourt wrote:Hello guys,

Hi Claudio

Did you assign the LUT to both "3D Monitor Lookup Table" and "3D Color Viewer Lookup Table"?

Have a nice day
Daniel

Hi Daniel, yes i did it . But it seems that the LUT on "3D Color Viewer Lookup Table" just influences on COLOR VIEWER. That's something that i can live with, but sometimes it's distracting. I was thinking that it was some kind of bug on my BETA version, but i updated it to Studio 14 and the differences remains.

ClaudioBitencourt

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm

John Paines wrote:
Martin Schitter wrote:yes -- professional typists also wouldn't worry, if the printed letters on their keyboards do not correspond to the actual layout and operation. they will find the right key blindly and will hard ever take their look away from the result on screen.

Except that, unlike computer keyboards, monitors are designed to different display standards, with a host of variable input sources and endless opportunities for corrupting the signal along the way, none of it under the control of a signal vendor or developer. The answer is connecting a broadcast video output with a display known to be compatible with it and dismissing everything else as useful for content but useless for color correction.

Yeah, i know that. And i usually work that way, but i was just thinking that is strange that one viewer in the same software have a fairly good match with the reference monitor and in another one doesn't.

ClaudioBitencourt

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:IIRC the edit tab viewer doesn't show the output LUT.

It seems thats the case. I was just looking for a technical ou documented confirmation, but i found nowhere.

Return to DaVinci Resolve