Stabilizer as a Node?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TyBailey

Stabilizer as a Node?

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

Is there any way to use the stabilizer feature as a node on the graph? I want to apply a Dead Pixel Fixer effect to my footage but once I use stabilize the footage in tandem with that effect, the dead pixel is now floating around the screen and I have to keyframe the Dead Pixel Fixer to follow it.

If I could node the stabilizer AFTER the dead pixel fixer node, in theory it would be stabilizing that effect with it.

Or is there a better way to handle this? Another user mentioned to fix the pixel, export and then import back into Davinci. However, I would like to work only within Davinci without having the extra workflow of exporting clips and re-importing.

Heiko Thies

Re: Stabilizer as a Node?

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

You could try and create a compound clip in the timeline first and use the dead pixel filter in there and then on the compound clip itself you apply the stabilizer after that. Does this make sense?

TyBailey

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Heiko Thies wrote:You could try and create a compound clip in the timeline first and use the dead pixel filter in there and then on the compound clip itself you apply the stabilizer after that. Does this make sense?

You're an absolute wizard! That worked!

Thank you for the insight.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 pm

That's totally odd, I never realized that the stabilization is not attached to a node. Am I missing something or is that kind of bizarre?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Heiko Thies

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 am

I suppose the internal logic here is the same as the sizing controls. Those are also detached from the node graph and work on a clip basis. Probably because it is not a color decision when you stabilize a clip.

@TyBailey: Glad I could help :)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 am

Stabilizing has always been on the source clip before other processing.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PeterMoretti

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks Peter!

Not a big deal, but since you guys are working on the manual, it might be nice to have information reflected in this chart on page 887.
Attachments
DVROrderOfOps.jpg
Order of Operations
DVROrderOfOps.jpg (99.83 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 am

That would be a good idea to indicate exactly where stabilization occurs.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Corey Ryan Hanson

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 am

Heiko Thies wrote:You could try and create a compound clip in the timeline first and use the dead pixel filter in there and then on the compound clip itself you apply the stabilizer after that. Does this make sense?

Thanks for the workaround!!!!!

That said, I could imagine it would be a good thing if there was the option for more flexibility in the stacking order of stabilization without having to create a bunch of compound clips.

For example in my use case, I am applying neat video and a deinterlace filter on some older footage. Having the input sizing and stabilizer functionalities locked underneath those nodes with no alternatives otherwise hinders the effects of those filters.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 am

The middle of the diagram, the operations that take place within nodes, this must be the order of operations within each single node, right?
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Soeren Mueller

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 2:21 pm

I would also love if this could be made into a more detailed or updated diagram as I was struggling a bit using the stabilizer together with external mattes on my last project. It seemed to me that in this case the external alpha mattes were "merged" into the whole other processing *before* the stabilizer (had to find this out pretty late in the project and thus it caused me 1-2 allnighters) ...
Btw. it would be great if BM would take the time to maybe put 2-3 more detailed control options into the "external matte" nodes to affect something like this .. as they were also sometimes totally misaligned, then after unchecking and re-checking "lock matte" it "snapped back into place" so it seemed wonky at best!
Thanks

Frank Engel

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 4:52 pm

It is also possible to stabilize footage using a tracker within Fusion; this is a different stabilizer than the standard Resolve one, but depending on the footage it can still work well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve