How to know you need an update?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rex Dean

How to know you need an update?

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious here, but I can't find anywhere on the black magic site the current revision level of Davinci Resolve. I got an email saying that version 14 is now shipping. I already have 14.0.08.072. Do I have to guess whether I already have the latest version? Is my "Public Beta" the latest revision? I'm a little surprised at how difficult this is to know whether you need an update, and how cumbersome it is to obtain that update. Is there really no way to add a "check for updates" in the Help menu? Do I really have to re-register every time there is an update? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Reynaud Venter

Re: How to know you need an update?

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Build 078 is the release version.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Jim Simon

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm

It would be nice to have some sort of indicator or checker right within the program.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rex Dean

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks, Reynaud. How did you find out 078 is the release version? As every update installation carries a risk, I'd hate to do unnecessary installs, just to find out that I already had the latest release. Is it indicated somewhere on the BM website? Or maybe in the name of the downloaded file?

Dax Roggio

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:It would be nice to have some sort of indicator or checker right within the program.

Sure would be!

There have been multiple threads on this topic, but I haven’t seen any official response. It seems the only way to learn of updates is to periodically dig through the Blackmagic website. It would also be nice if the splash screen showed the exact installed version like the about screen.
No, you probably don’t need a calibrated, non-computer display.

Micha Clazing

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Before starting on a project I just go to the support section on the Blackmagic site and click on the download link for the latest version, if I already have it, it shows up with (1) on the end of the file name, and I cancel the download.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm

BMD is very consistent about announcing releases on Twitter. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've found it quite handy getting a notification in my phone.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:BMD is very consistent about announcing releases on Twitter. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've found it quite handy getting a notification in my phone.
The Twitter feed, outside of this forum, is perhaps the best method to obtain application update notification.

The RSS feed on the BlackMagic Support Page is broken, so that isn’t a potential workaround for non-Twitter users to receive application update announcements, or for those not regularly checking this forum.

There also doesn’t appear to be a method of subscribing only to the “Announcements” section of the DaVinci Resolve forum (without receiving updates to the “Topics” section threads).
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 1:58 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:The RSS feed on the BlackMagic Support Page is broken, so that isn’t a potential workaround for non-Twitter users to receive application update announcements, or for those not regularly checking this forum. There also doesn’t appear to be a method of subscribing only to the “Announcements” section of the DaVinci Resolve forum (without receiving updates to the “Topics” section threads).

It seems to me that there should be a "phone home" control within Resolve to automatically check for updates and then alert the user when the program is launched. That way, you could elect to upgrade to the new version and have it install (which is done by many hundreds of other Mac & Windows software products). I would always allow the user to turn "auto-update" off if they'd rather do it manually.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:It seems to me that there should be a "phone home" control within Resolve to automatically check for updates and then alert the user

At the very least, a manual method. "Help>Check for Updates..."
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Micha Clazing

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:Before starting on a project I just go to the support section on the Blackmagic site and click on the download link for the latest version, if I already have it, it shows up with (1) on the end of the file name, and I cancel the download.

Marc Wielage wrote:It seems to me that there should be a "phone home" control within Resolve to automatically check for updates and then alert the user when the program is launched. That way, you could elect to upgrade to the new version and have it install (which is done by many hundreds of other Mac & Windows software products).

What's this, a thread where Marc posts a feature request while I post a pragmatic workaround? It must be opposite day. :lol:

Return to DaVinci Resolve