Exporting AAF creates problem with /Volumes/Volumes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Tiemann

Exporting AAF creates problem with /Volumes/Volumes

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

I have two computers on a network, my Resolve Mac (hosting a thunderbolt RAID) and my ProTools Mac (which can see the RAID over the network). On the Resolve Mac, I have a folder full of BWAV files (recorded by a SoundDevices 970). I have a video project with 24 tracks of audio. I have followed the advice of exporting audio-only AAF files (unchecking Video Export) and an AAF file is created. When I import that AAF file into ProTools, outlines of all the little audio clips show up (as expected), but the files are not actually found.

When I try to use the Link Media function of ProTools, I see the tip of what I believe to be the iceberg of the problem: the media clips are named as expected, and ProTools gives them some nasty ID, but the file path is listed as /Volumes/Volumes/RAID/970 instead of /Volumes/RAID/970. The latter is where the files actually are (and can be seen from the ProTools Mac).

Who the heck is responsible for the /Volumes/Volumes path that doesn't exist? Is Resolve writing this bogosity? Or is ProTools reading it from thin air?
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Seth Goldin

Re: Exporting AAF creates problem with /Volumes/Volumes

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 am

Can you explain more in-depth how you're sharing from one Mac to the other? What settings, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Michael Tiemann

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 am

Seth Goldin wrote:Can you explain more in-depth how you're sharing from one Mac to the other? What settings, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure: on the ProTools Mac, one sees the Resolve Mac in the finder (due to Bonjour), one double-clicks that icon, some volumes appear, one double-clicks the RAID volume, some directories appear, one double-clicks the 970 folder, there's an AAF file that's been exported, and then Pro Tools, bless its little heart, is determined to find all the WAV files in /Volumes/Volumes/RAID/970 instead of /Volumes/RAID/970.

In the terminal window one can use the df command or mount command to see that /Volumes/RAID is a thing. One can cd to /Volumes/RAID/970 and see all the wave files. But ProTools cannot seem to get past the impossible /Volumes/Volumes/RAID/970 file path to be able to see that IBMA-003.wav is the IBMA-003.wav file my AAF is referring to.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Seth Goldin

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 am

I don't know about Bonjour, but my hunch is that you should probably be using SMB: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

With SMB, you should be able to designate on the machine with the direct-attached storage what specific folder will live at the top level of /Volumes on the machine that doesn't have the direct-attached storage.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Michael Tiemann

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 am

Doesn't help. And even copying the whole ditectory so that it's local to the ProTools machine doesn't help. The AAF file is either created wrongly by Resolve or interpreted wrongly by ProTools. But it Just Doesn't Work.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Return to DaVinci Resolve