Resolve 14 Bus Assign window is superfluous?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Tiemann

Resolve 14 Bus Assign window is superfluous?

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm

I have two main busses (Stereo and 7.1) and 22 multitrack busses (24 is bad luck, perhaps because it activates Audio Out 51 and 52, which seem to be from outer space). In any case, I say that the Bus Assign window is superfluous, because there really is no logical difference between assigning busses and assigning patches (presuming, of course, that the Patch Source and Patch Destination descriptions are not also from outer space). The advantage of rolling Bus Assign into the Patch window is that there are fewer places for bad UI decisions to hide, such as the problem that prompted me to write this note...

When I open the Bus Assign window, there's a two-line sub-window displaying a few of my available busses. I have to scroll this mini window because it's not big enough to display all my multi tracks. Below that tiny window is an oversized window, mostly empty, showing my available tracks.

A little math would allow the box layout code to allocate more space to the Busses window and less space to the Available Tracks window, and neither would need any scrolling nor would waste quite so many pixels.

The box layout algorithm seems to work quite well in the Patch window, so perhaps BMD could roll the Bus assign functionality into the Patch Assign code...
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve