Postgres Multi user login

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chip.Murphy

Postgres Multi user login

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm

It would be great if Resolve 14 brought back the multi user login under Postgres without having to import a 12.5 database.

We use different users to prep project settings via various users. This skips having to load a project setting preset and helps group powergrades accordingly. Under the new 14 mantra, we'd have to create new databases for each and wouldn't be able to use a common set of remote render machines for the myriad of databases. Using a single database keeps the render nodes flexible and not locked to a single database.

Please bring the multi user login back for Postgres users. Thanks!

Glenn Venghaus

Re: Postgres Multi user login

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am

+1

Wont be easy flick back on as my guess they removed it to enable collaboration, which seem everyone access everything approach.
But is possible with an extra authorisation layer on collaboration. Even better as so you can authorise specific users to access/collaborate with which other users
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

alexoreman

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 am

This is a major item of concern that I have not received any timetable for a fix.

I know of a few large post houses who are very concerned about passing Tier 0 security and general MPAA audits without protection for database content as it existed in Resolve up to 14.

I hope these concerns have been put at the top of the list of items to address in Resolve 14.1

Unfortunately we can not use Resolve 14 at all until this is addressed.

We should also have local users to take advantage of the local User preferences now enabled. It does not make much sense to me to separate user prefs and then not be able to save them as a config per user. Maybe I am missing something on that but I have not found a mechanism for that.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah i could not graps the logic either of having user preferences but no users. Other then that its part of an yet incomplete rollout of a user authorisation layer
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Seth Goldin

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Alex, why would this be required for security reasons? IIRC, the multi-user login never protected projects from being viewed. It only protected projects from being accessed with write permission. It was always possible to copy a project over to a different user, even without the password.

Chip, would it be a good enough substitute to just keep various empty template projects for different users, which you could duplicate as needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Chip.Murphy

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Seth, not quite since you'd have to preload them and it still doesn't solve the problem of 18+ workstations sharing the same powergrades

alexoreman

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm

@Seth

Good question.

The current 12.5 and prior implementation allowed us a measure of documented protection for accessing security title databases. We created users with strong passwords and set passwords for the admin account per show DB so that the curious or unauthorized would not have quick direct access to content.

There is a way around this protection but it takes understanding the back-end of the database manager to export and import a project to a new DB which would be logged in our systems through other methods of protection in place.

NOW in V14 I can open up resolve, access any database I want to with no protections at all immediately.

Even if it was an illusion of security in 12.5 and prior, it allows us to pass specific questions asked by security teams to demonstrate basic protection of content. In 14 it would be an item of concern per discussions for next year.

Seth Goldin

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Chip, yes, I definitely see how that's frustrating. What about if you just created one server share for the .gallery folder that could be accessed by all your users? Don't the PowerGrades live in that .gallery folder? Then the PowerGrades would be available to all workstations.

Alex, yes, that makes sense. I see how that's irritating. Maybe, as a workaround, you could make each workstation its own PostgreSQL server with its own static IP address, and each with its own strong, unique password. Then, you could go to each remote workstation and connect only the workstations that should have access, without giving out the passwords to the users. It might become a bit messy to keep track of, but it would restrict access as needed. Does that make sense?

alexoreman

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 pm

It makes sense, but that is not an option for how we run things internally unfortunately.

We have many artists on ANY of our machines on ANY project based on scheduling in various rooms and theaters, If I proposed something like you suggested to our team they would probably suggest not running Resolve at all in the future unfortunately.

My main point, as I have expressed to the Development team in person and via email, is that we should not lose any major core facility workflow features with a software upgrade, it has not happened from Version 9 through 12.5.6 so I can't accept that it will start now.

Kyle Weerheim

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 pm

+1

I have Resolve 12.5 running on 33 university machines. With 14.0 installed, any user can log in and alter another users projects. I absolutely cannot move forward 14.0 without some sort of multi-user login/security.

Seth Goldin

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

I’ve been thinking about this, and was trying to piece together what has changed for BMD to justify deprecating the feature.

My guess is that multi-user functionality was created back when Resolve only had PostgreSQL databases and workstations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and would definitely be shared between different collaborators.

Now, it’s not just that multi-user functionality is less necessary because Resolve workstations are cheaper, but it’s also because disk databases are easier to manage and can be created per user account within the OS itself.

I had an idea for yet another workaround. Perhaps you could reserve the PostgreSQL database for collaboration only, but use disk databases per OS user to protect projects. With Dynamic Project Switching, users could copy and paste between “protected” disk databases and “collaborative” PostgreSQL databases, copying and pasting items back and forth as needed. It’s definitely clunkier than native multi-user functionality, but it might work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 9:14 am

Something is happening here.... Maybe....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65491

Return to DaVinci Resolve