dynamic zoom across a dissolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ross Wood

dynamic zoom across a dissolve

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 5:49 am

Is it possible to do a dynamic zoom across a dissolve without the image stopping at the end of the clip and then starting at the beginning of the next clip? In PP it's a matter of dragging the keyframes to the beginning and end of the transition.

Ross

Heiko Thies

Re: dynamic zoom across a dissolve

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am

Not entirely sure if I understand your problem correctly, but you could always place the two clips with the transition in a compound clip and do the dynamic zoom on the compound clip instead.

Sam Steti

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 pm

I think I'd also try this first...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Ross Wood

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion. This would be a good workaround if you were only talking about say, two shots. Every now and then I have a sequence of photos that all need zooms and more often than not there are dissolves between each of them.

The dynamic zoom should consider the transition when performing the zoom. As it stands, the dynamic zoom only works within the clip itself on the timeline and doesn't take into account the transition into the next shot. This is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed.

Sam Steti

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

Hi,
Then open Scene Detect, so that in the end you get rid of these transitions and you'll be able to apply dynamic zoom or whatever ken burns-like effect.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Ross Wood

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks Sam, but I don't want to get rid of the transitions. I'll just have to use the transform window instead.

Hopefully BMD will consider it a problem and fix it.

Ross Wood

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:28 am

We're at 15.2 and this still hasn't been addressed. A shot doesn't finish at the cut point if there's a transition. The shot continues until the transition is complete. It would be great to use this effect but unless my images cut from one to the next I can't use it. Editing keyframes should be easier as well, by selecting and dragging them. Actually, again, the keyframe editor assumes a shot ends at the cut, but what if there's a transition? It doesn't recognise any head and tail. I so desperately want to ditch PP for Resolve, because there's so much I love about this NLE, but there's a few things holding me back.

Nathan Morgan

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 am

+1 on the dynamic zoom problem.

You might want to double check, I think they have fixed the problem with the normal keyframe editor not extending into the transition. If it is what I think you are talking about they fixed it a couple of releases ago. It's still not perfect (I am bummed because Avid keyframes still don't translate properly in transitions) but it is getting better!
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Ross Wood

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Nathan,

Thanks, I tried dragging the keyframe outside of the keyframe editor (to the end of a transition) and it does work. Silly thing is though, you can't see where the keyframe is anymore as it's outside of the keyframe box. If you want to move it again, you need to delete it and start again.

Richard Dean

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 am

I have also found significant problems with stills.

Numbered photos don't seem to import correctly. Some are grouped as image sequences of a frame each and some have the correct duration (of several seconds indicated in user preferences.)

I had to be use (gasp) FCP7!!! To create the timeline and then import an XML into Resolve 15.

I found that putting a transition on every still before doing dynamic moves fixed the problem of adding them after as the original poster found.

I also found allowing black edges of a photo when zooming in did not grow smoothly. The project was 29.97 which should have allowed smoother motion.

I could not use resolve for photomation on critical projects.

I wish the resolve team would slow the dizzying pace of adding new features and work on fixing core features of what already exists.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 7:04 am

Ross Wood wrote:Is it possible to do a dynamic zoom across a dissolve without the image stopping at the end of the clip and then starting at the beginning of the next clip? In PP it's a matter of dragging the keyframes to the beginning and end of the transition.

If it were me, I would take the source clips and create what we used to call "A/B Rolls" out of them -- placing one on Track 2 and the other clip on Track 1 -- and do the dissolves that way and extend the clip longer than the dissolve, which will allow you to make the dynamic zoom as long or as short as you want.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Richard, there is a setting in the options menu that will allow you to bring in individual still rather than an image sequence.

Mark I get what you are saying, but for those of us trying to use Resolve as a finishing tool it would be a bummer to have to round trip or compound clip anytime you want to use dynamic zoom with a transition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

penbotsu

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 pm

+1 to the problem
Since when do you want the image to start moving only when it is 100% visible after a dissolve?

I came to Resolve from Vegas and one thing which is is really bad compared to Vegas in my opinion, is the way Resolve acts with transitions/dissolves. The program is so intuitive most of the time but when it comes to do a simple cross-dissolve between two shots, it's like it wants to be as complicated as possible.

I still don't understand why there is not a simple key on my keyboard which I can press and then just move the second clip "into" the first one without changing anything to it. Done.

No, instead I have to put them together right next to each other, right-click in the middle to set a specific frame number which will be used for the dissolve, deal with some info/question about how to act if the clip doesn't has enough frames left and.. ... sorry excuse me what??

The A/B Roll is a workaround for sure. But it should be easier and on big projects this really hurts the general view.

Really hope that BMD fix this issue. It's really not fun in DR to do a simple Diashow.

Robert Baker

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:39 pm

penbotsu wrote:+1 to the problem
Since when do you want the image to start moving only when it is 100% visible after a dissolve?
I came to Resolve from Vegas and one thing which is is really bad compared to Vegas ...

We were spoiled with Vegas. The ability to create Dissolves to a perfect length just by moving one clip on top of another, the easy audio editing (it did start as an Audio editor), the ease of importing media, the great way it created project files and maintained media file locations info within the project file... Nothing comes close to the combined ease and power of Vegas. It just suffered from poor titling software, poor VFX and lackluster third party support. Everything else about it was better than any of the competition. Alas I have moved on to Resolve because of the amazing color correction tools but miss I Vegas.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

penbotsu

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am

That's how everyone makes their experiences. ;)

I personally would not want to praise Vegas in many other aspects, because for me it would crash many times (Resolve never so far *knocking wood*), many things were not intuitive at all and the overall look was needing an update so badly after version 10 or so. I felt like nobody cared about the code anymore after v11 or so.

That said, every program has it's powers for sure. I was lost after I found out that Vegas would be run by Magix back then and I'm not a big fan of Adobe products. Resolve is an awesome and very affordable piece of software in my eyes with a fair system for customers (on version 10 almost the whole program was for free) and a huge range of possibilities in an easy and intuitive surrounding.

Ok, enough with the offtopic now, cause the crossfading really sucks. :D
(Also the way you fade in and fade out really bothers me. Most of all that the standard fade is strictly linear and not have a curve.)

Robert Baker

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 am

penbotsu wrote:I felt like nobody cared about the code anymore after v11 or so.

That's because no one did...

Now back to the topic:
One of the options given was to create a compound clip and add the dissolve but I've not had consistent results with compound clips in DaVinci. I'll try to do it an see what happens.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 am

penbotsu wrote:
I still don't understand why there is not a simple key on my keyboard which I can press and then just move the second clip "into" the first one without changing anything to it. Done.

Like Shift Option drag?

The dynamic zoom stopping while there is a transition over it is in the queue to be addressed.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

brediknight

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 2:27 am

+1

Wayne Reich

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 4:33 am

I'm really looking forward to an automated solution to the same dynamic zoom mentioned in the OP. Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve