Is Davinci Resolve Compatible with High Sierra !

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Goyette

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Mac App Store Version of Davinci Resolve Studio with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.
PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE - CORPORATE VIDEO IN MONTREAL.
DISTRIBUTION OFFERTE : DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB / SSD / HDD.
http://www.productiondgoyette.com

rick.lang

Re: Is Davinci Resolve Compatible with High Sierra !

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm

High Sierra has been released today, September 25, 2017. Any feedback on compatibility of macOS 10.13 with Resolve 14 and Resolve Studio 14?

I’m rendering today, but it would be good to know if there are any problems arising. When i upgrade the OS, my all-SSD system drive will convert to APFS so want to be cautious this time and wait for feedback.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 pm

I'd also like to hear feedback. Luckily only my laptop is SSD, so I can hold off on updating that depending on APFS. The iMac 5K is Fusion Drive, so I could update it without worry about APFS, but I still would like to hear feedback before updating. Currently editing a project in Resolve. Only 5-minutes of raw footage left to sift through in making selects. Then comes the creative rough cut. So don't have time to update and find failures.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

KonradWelz

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi All, I've been using Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve Studio all the time on my MacBook Pro 2016.
I use Apple's own USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 to USB adaptor for my Resolve Activation Dongle and it's always worked.
I've just installed High Sierra and now Resolve doesn't recognise the dongle and refuses to start.
Tried different ports and different adaptors, restarting.... NADA... Resolve can't see the dongle.
The dongle's light is on but apparently nobody's home.
Anyone else experience this?
Consider this a word of warning for those considering an update to High Sierra.

Manuel Zarpellon

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I have solved by installing the dongle via usb-c adapters on my macbook pro and before starting Davinci Resolve I reboot the mac.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 pm

My video shot Sunday has finished rendering but I’m busy installing High Sierra on a friend’s iMac system. Konrad’s problem might be related to the dongle hanging off an adapter but really that should work as it always has. I can’t test Resolve on my friend’s system with my dongle since the machine is unpowered and Resolve would never start up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jason Knott

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 pm

KonradWelz wrote:Hi All, I've been using Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve Studio all the time on my MacBook Pro 2016.
I use Apple's own USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 to USB adaptor for my Resolve Activation Dongle and it's always worked.
I've just installed High Sierra and now Resolve doesn't recognise the dongle and refuses to start.
Tried different ports and different adaptors, restarting.... NADA... Resolve can't see the dongle.
The dongle's light is on but apparently nobody's home.
Anyone else experience this?
Consider this a word of warning for those considering an update to High Sierra.

I'm having this same issue on my laptop so I'm going to say this is a giant no at the moment.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 am

jason, did you try rebooting the laptop with the dongle in place as Manuel suggested?
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 am

I'd never switch to a brand new system before at least 3 (three!) updates have been made for any serious work!

If you'd like to experiment, make an external boot disk and reboot.

And, yes, the dongle is only recognized after a restart, maybe sometimes not at all.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Manuel Zarpellon

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:42 pm

a suggestion that I think is important is to completely uninstall Davinci resolve and reinstall it again. In my case the system that detects the dongle was the one of 12.6 version and it’s work at 32bit, now with a clean installation it works fine

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Ludovico Bettarello

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

wacom driver for high sierra not ready yet.
here info from wacom (need to wait until late october....)
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?linkId=42280487&guideTitle=Driver-for-10.13-High-Sierra&guideId=1cc3498e-6ee5-4e0f-9a44-b05aaf98b3bf
____ vimeo.com/internonotte _____
nMP 8-core d700 64gb AMD FE 16gb R832TB Ultrastudio 4k PVMa250 Tangent Element BMD Editor Keyboard
nMP 6-core d700 64gb xMAC PRO SERVER 50TB raid SAS Ultrastudio 4k Mini double reader Red Alexa SBK 8U flightcase

KonradWelz

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Manuel Zarpellon wrote:I have solved by installing the dongle via usb-c adapters on my macbook pro and before starting Davinci Resolve I reboot the mac.

I rebooted and still the dongle error message.
:-(

KonradWelz

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'd never switch to a brand new system before at least 3 (three!) updates have been made for any serious work!

If you'd like to experiment, make an external boot disk and reboot.

And, yes, the dongle is only recognized after a restart, maybe sometimes not at all.

I use my desktop for serious work, the laptop was just a test to see which apps work and which don't... Blender, for example, works well.
I agree, it's crazy to try a new OS in version X.0.. I was hoping against hope that Fu 9.0.1 would work because it's so new. I have the same issue with Resolve Studio, so it's 100% related to the OS not being able to read the dongle.

KonradWelz

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Manuel Zarpellon wrote:a suggestion that I think is important is to completely uninstall Davinci resolve and reinstall it again. In my case the system that detects the dongle was the one of 12.6 version and it’s work at 32bit, now with a clean installation it works fine

I was using FuStudio 9.0.1 without an issue on Sierra, but it ain't working in High Sierra. I did a re-install without any luck.

Rando Bach

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 pm

KonradWelz wrote:
Manuel Zarpellon wrote:I have solved by installing the dongle via usb-c adapters on my macbook pro and before starting Davinci Resolve I reboot the mac.

PM sent!

Manuel Zarpellon

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Rando Bach wrote:
KonradWelz wrote:

PM sent!

Hi Rando, have you tried to totally uninstall DaVinci? You must delete all the installation files in the Macintosh HD and user library. Then you have to install Davinci again, turn off the Mac, connect the dongle and start the Mac at this point everything should work.
there are tutorials in the internet that guide you in the uninstall process.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Tested on my external boot drive, no issue with the system drive HFS+.

I removed Resolve from my iMac late 2015. Updated to High Sierra. My 1TB SSD system drive converted to APFS. Installed Resolve 14. Everything went well. Loaded several previous completed projects including 60 fps video and all working fine. The real test will be this weekend when I have another shoot scheduled. No news is good news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Francis Chee

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 am

I installed High Sierra on my SSD laptop, a Pro Retina mid 2014 and everything of importance has stopped working (except PS and AE CC 2014), including DaVinci Resolve, FCP, Word, PPT XL, etc etc. No more control clicking within a within a finder window to place items in the trash, I have to manually drag them. I't s mess due to my stupidity and I'm 17,000Km from my studio with other ok computers! In other words on the other side of the planet from where I'm based. WHY did I upgrade? Because I couldn't install the firmware upgrades to my BMMCC unless running high Sierra supposedly. Also the upgrade produces erratic behaviour for opening new links from clicking on embedded links within emails or elsewhere LOL! I'm going swimming! The local mac shop says (of course I will need a clean start...... Yep what a waste of time. Now no editing whilst I'm away for 3 months. Yep sounds like swimming is a good way to cool off.

Return to DaVinci Resolve