Retain selection after changing the framerate clip attribut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Drew

Retain selection after changing the framerate clip attribut

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create normal speed and slow motion speed clips from a large video.

If I trim the video by dragging from the edges and export this is fine for full speed, but if I then change the 'Clip Attribute' frame-rate the selection changes to another part of the video.

My plan was to make lots of clips at full speed, and then slow them down afterwards, but Resolve only exports at 24fps.

Is there anyway to retain the selected part of the video whilst also changing the framerate? Thank you

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Retain selection after changing the framerate clip attri

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Nick

Just wanted to go through a few basics here:

Resolve only exports at 24fps.

you need to set a new project's frame rate to the required rate (default=24 fps) before bringing in any media into the media pool or creating a timeline.

lots of clips at full speed, and then slow them down afterwards

Select the clip on the timeline, press Ctrl-R (Cmd-R on a mac) and use the dropdown menu to add points, slow down or speed up the clip. you can also drag the top left and top right corners in this mode to change the speed. You can use a combination of these operations to retain the cut while changing the speed.

Nick Drew

Re: Retain selection after changing the framerate clip attri

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 am

Thank you! Sorry that was so stupid of me to set the project to 24fps and then try to export at a higher frame rate!

Both of those methods sound great, thanks! Looking forward to trying it when I’m back on the computer later :D Thanks again for your help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve