Possible to export files with "display name"?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

Possible to export files with "display name"?

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 pm

I would like to rename the source file name of our video files based on the content.
As I understand Davinci only allows you to change the Display Name, and you cannot edit the source name. However would it be possible to copy or export the files with the Display Names.

Normally I change the video file names in Exporer but Im struggling with our new drone footage, because I cannot even view the h265 files properly with VLC or other video players but I can play them in Davinci.

Thanks
/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Maciej Frydrych

Re: Possible to export files with "display name"?

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi,

You can export metadata csv file from bin and copy Display Name to for example Comment or Description column. Save the file and import it merging new metadata. Then in delivery tab set individual files. In Custom name write % sign and new menu appear. Chose Descriprion or other metadata.
Would be great if there will be "Display name" chose directly. Now there is a lot of metadata but no "Display name" so use other.
Gigabyte x299 Designare EX- i9 - 16 core - 64GB RAM - Dual 1080 Ti - Areca 10 x 3Tb Raid 6. Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Resolve Studio 18.0.3 - BMD Decklink 4K Extreme- FSI CM250 - LG 55''OLED (lutbox) - BMD Mini Panel -BMD SmartScopeDuo 4K

AndreasOberg

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Maciej Frydrych wrote:Hi,

You can export metadata csv file from bin and copy Display Name to for example Comment or Description column. Save the file and import it merging new metadata. Then in delivery tab set individual files. In Custom name write % sign and new menu appear. Chose Descriprion or other metadata.
Would be great if there will be "Display name" chose directly. Now there is a lot of metadata but no "Display name" so use other.

Thanks that is good to know. Afte rlooking around it seems to me like its not possible to export DisplayName.

Just curious. Why is it that pretty much no editing suite allows you to edit the source file names? In Photography this is a standard workflow, that you look at the files and then do batch renames of the files. I work in big computer game projects and I spend a great deal of time renaming files and would be nice to be able to do so in editing suites.

/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 am

AndreasOberg wrote:Just curious. Why is it that pretty much no editing suite allows you to edit the source file names? In Photography this is a standard workflow...

In film and digital post, it's generally a very, very bad idea to change source file names. Changing metadata is fine, since that will not affect edit lists and the impact changes have on other departments, like sound, VFX, and color.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve