Bug in shorcut menu

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kolja georges

Bug in shorcut menu

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

HI

Resolve 14 studio. windows

we changed the zoom in and out on timeline from Ctrl= to = and Ctrl- to -.
we change it after resetting the = and - command from applying previous and prior grade.
it works fine at the begining in the edit page but after switching to the color page it stops.
we need to resave shorcut so it works again , but again it stops aftee switching to color page.
on my mac i am still running12.5 with those shorcut without any issue.
Hope Resolve team will have a look at it.

regards
Georges Kolja

Marc Wielage

Re: Bug in shorcut menu

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

I think it's a very bad idea to try to take a straight single key (like "=" or "-") and use it as a shortcut. To me, the only thing that's safe for macros is to use a modifier key, like a combination of alt, option, control, ⌘, Windows, or shift. That will almost always work.

Using two keys that are conventional type keys (like "-.") could also be a bad choice because it's difficult to hit both at the same time. Modifier keys are intended for that function, and those work very well.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Kolja georges

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I think it's a very bad idea to try to take a straight single key (like "=" or "-") and use it as a shortcut. To me, the only thing that's safe for macros is to use a modifier key, like a combination of alt, option, control, ⌘, Windows, or shift. That will almost always work.

Using two keys that are conventional type keys (like "-.") could also be a bad choice because it's difficult to hit both at the same time. Modifier keys are intended for that function, and those work very well.

those single keys are already mapped to applying color grades from previous and next shot.
The p = and - sign are shorcut for zooming in PP and AE , so some user prefer to keepit this way.
Moreover the shorcut are working fine in the Color and Fairlight pages. And on MAc they are working fine.
just on windows we are facing the isssue only in the Edit menu.
Georges Kolja

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Actualy resolve already comes of factory with inbuild conflicts. (talking MAC as have no win boxes)
See what happens with the "-" shortcut when you activate printerlights. (which i have active permanent btw).
Resolve overrules it and when you disable printerlight it puts it back.
So using that for anything else seems unwise.
Has been like that since 12.5 only there it broke when yo switched pages with printerlights active. Now it somehow works in most cases.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Jim Simon

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I think it's a very bad idea to try to take a straight single key (like "=" or "-") and use it as a shortcut.

That's actually the default in Premiere Pro and it works quite well. Modifiers are just awkward for one handed zooming.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That's actually the default in Premiere Pro and it works quite well. Modifiers are just awkward for one handed zooming.

The O.P. asked for opinions, they got opinions. I can't promise you're always going to like the opinion. If you want Resolve to work more like Premiere, choose the Premiere set of keyboard shortcuts.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you want Resolve to work more like Premiere, choose the Premiere set of keyboard shortcuts.

Oh, if that only worked.

Additionally, I didn't see the OP asking for opinions. He was saying something doesn't work and that BM needs to take a look at the code.

I tend to agree. The unmodified + and - zoom keys (technically = and -) do not work correctly in Resolve because BM has hard coded those keys for navigation.

The Adobe solution is quite elegant. Keyboard = and - activate zoom level, numpad = and - work navigation. Or, you can click on the timecode field and use the main keys for navigation.

It's a better way.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Kolja georges

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:That's actually the default in Premiere Pro and it works quite well. Modifiers are just awkward for one handed zooming.

The O.P. asked for opinions, they got opinions. I can't promise you're always going to like the opinion. If you want Resolve to work more like Premiere, choose the Premiere set of keyboard shortcuts.

we are not looking to make REsolve behave as PRP , this a preference issue.
Actually setting Davinci to use PPR shortcut doesnt work either... if the system gives me the option to change a shortcut and it works on the color and fairlight page but not on the Edit page where is needed then BMD should look at this issue
Georges Kolja

Return to DaVinci Resolve