Resolve 14 crashes when opening 12.5 projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave Lee

Resolve 14 crashes when opening 12.5 projects

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 4:54 am

I've recently updated to Resolve v14 (14.0.0.078) after previously using v12.5 for a while.

Resolve 14 updated my projects from 12.5, but I cannot open about half of my projects - Resolve crashes when I try and open them.

Resolve will start opening the projects and display a progress bar, but then crashes with the Windows error "Davinci Resolve stopped working".

I tired to work out what's different about the projects that crash. These projects tend to be larger than the projects that will open OK, e.g have a lot more clips and timelines. I also know some of these projects have timelines with blank names. This is a glitch I noticed in v12.5, where I'd occasionally I'd create a new timeline, close the project, and when I open it again the new timeline had lost its name and was now blank. These blank name timelines could not be seen in the media pool, so couldn't be deleted, but I could still select them from the timeline dropdown menu/list.

Obviously it's difficult to check what's different in these projects, since it means uninstalling v14 and then reinstalling v12.5 to open them and have a look.

Logs: I tried to post a link to my logs, but I cannot post a URL. Is that because I'm a new user?

Windows 10, CPU: Intel i7 4790 (4 cores), GPU: Nvidia GTX970, Storage: SSD.

Return to DaVinci Resolve