what software for media managament do you use?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Schampera

what software for media managament do you use?

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi,

as I understand resolve is not designed to manage all my footage globally.
So my question is, what software do you use on windows to manage it? My previous editing software pinnacle studio had such media management included.

I would like to:
- set keywords
- search / filter for keywords
- search / filter for dates
- rate clips
- free / open source / cheap (I need it for personal use)

Thanks, Andreas

Uli Plank

Re: what software for media managament do you use?

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 12:30 am

Did you ever have a look at the manual?
Resolve can do all of this!

The only other tool I use sometimes with incoming 'prosumer' footage is Kyno, but that's not (yet?) available for the PC.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 am

All of this is built into Resolve 14 now. Search the manual for METADATA and you can see a long list of criteria with which you can sort, filter, and automatically create bins.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Alex Uzan

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Yes, but metadatas you create in Resolve, stay in Resolve.

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 pm

I can see some in FCP-X. But a lot is not coming over.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 am

Alex Uzan wrote:Yes, but metadatas you create in Resolve, stay in Resolve.

You can import and export the metadata, it also exports with the ALE.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ArminReiss

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Alex Uzan wrote:Yes, but metadatas you create in Resolve, stay in Resolve.

You can import and export the metadata, it also exports with the ALE.

Hi Peter, well import? where and what. I only found the possibility to import xmp. but where does the xmp come frome. Many Programs use xml. I searched a lot but i was no lucky to find a program where i can get the xmp from. Please make xml import possible.
OSX Sierra 10.12.4, Intel 5820K, 1xNvidia GTX1080 , 64GB ram
Resolve Studio latest /14 latest,

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Its in the file menu from within the media pool. Use it all the time. Works great.
Attachments
2017-09-25_15-59-29.png
2017-09-25_15-59-29.png (100.57 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

ArminReiss

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Its in the file menu from within the media pool. Use it all the time. Works great.

Hi Glenn, what do you import? xml? or xmp?

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 pm

ArminReiss wrote:
Hi Glenn, what do you import? xml? or xmp?

Resolve exports and imports simple csv files using these menus. Best to check it out yourselve and just try an export of data in the media pool and look at the file format.
I use it when i make dailies/intermediates in resolve and during that phase populate the metadata of the clips with usefull info, like take,scene,shot, location, audio channel assignements , mics used etc etc. Whatever relevant for that project. Export it as csv.
Then at editing stage this file can be imported together with the edit media into a new project and have all the metadata attached. The metadata can be attached to the files based on all the normal conform options like filename, reelname etc.

But with a bit of proper organisation i bet you can use this to exchange metadata between other programs and resolve.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

ArminReiss

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Of course, you are right. I exported that file to see the structure. And yes import also works. Going out of Resolve and again into it works nice. I have another thread about "software media management..." but no response there. I dont want spam this thread here, but i am looking for a software to organize all my clips in a kind of database, add metadata and or keywords. then search for keywords gove mi a list of files. i pick them and copy out of the storage/database into a new project. then import the files in Resolve. All this works. But (of course) the clips now dont carry the metadata. I found a nice Program called CatDV. There is a really good workflow to move the selected clips into CS6 for example. All metadatas and keywords are there. Also Clipmarkers. Very nice and handy. But (for now) not for Resolve. I hope they will do this in future. Also CatDV can export metadata sidcar files. But all dont work in Resolve. This just for information ....

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Ah yeah got you now. You look for a proper M.A.M (media asset management) solution.
CatDV was positioned in the time Final Cut Server was (crazy enough) defuncted. They even created tools to suck all data from FCS into CatDV.
Was running FCS at that time but never liked CatDV. So hacked/modded FCS to extend its life indefinite and still running fine here on latest and greatest PostgreSQL in a high available multihost setup and current OSX. And as it is highly scriptable i can do whatever i want with it and automate the hell out of everything. But as said defunct for new users so not relevant for you atm.

So if you start now frmo scratch CatDV is price-wise a good starting point with nowadays lots of flexibility.
Metadata is a difficult beast as most systems do not burn metadata in the source media (touching sourcemedia in any MAM or any post app for that matter is a big no-no normaly). So they have to then figure out a way to export/import it into the target app via a different route. Or just dont and use it pure in the MAM for organisational purposes. Or allow for a solid scripting pipeline so you can add these things in yourselve.
I have seen recently some simple MAM's pop up that dont use a central DB but just the filesystem to organise your stuff and some that have a simple DB .
So you need to really investigate a bit if you want to go that route as your decision is likely for the long term and should fit your workflow/setup and be highly customisable. As metadata input to resolve is simple csv , you should be able to whip up a simple script any MAM that gets this into resolve if you are a bit handy. (like one to parse the CatDV sidecars into a resolve compatible csv)

Maybe some other forum users with different small/medium scale MAM's can chime in with some advise that is more helpfull to you as obviously my solution will not be usefull for you as unavailable basically.

ArminReiss

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi, the support team from CatDV contacted me. They are in contact with Blackmagic Design. To give a direct implementation to Resolve.... Lets see what will come. And yes Glenn. A script or whatever is needed to modify the CSV file. I cant do this... but i will wait. CatDV is not that expensive and i am not in hurry

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Sounds good. Keep us posted if you hear more of this development

Return to DaVinci Resolve